Table Talk (OOC)

I see where I got it wrong then. Makes sense.

How do you guys handle increasing fixed number guidelines? I can't find a hard rule.

To be specific: PeCo 15 guideline - age someone 5 years.

Would additional magnitudes simply add an additional 5 years? This is the way I've always handled these but that might just be an assumption. When improved versions are included in the guidelines, that seems to be the most common option...but it isn't always the case.

As an example of spells that allow you to do spell stuff, I've seen things like this: "I want a Minor Magical Focus in giving people "magical" abilities," (like the core MuAn guideline, but this goes further...). The person then gives themselves the ability to see/hear/etc. things. So now this Focus applies to 50% of Intellego. The person gives themself the ability to dispel things. The person gives themself the ability to shoot fire. Etc. Now this one Focus applies to basically everything. This never goes well. Kareatosys's warning is a good one.

Now, creating some fog and making it solid, really hot, a fog of acid, ... Sure, go for it. Those sound like clever ways of doing a bunch of things.

1 Like

Except to put potential caps on things (e.g. CrCo not exceeding +5 Characteristics), I like to continue the pattern as best and simply as one can be established for both in-between levels and for higher levels. The core book itself establishes this with higher levels; take a look at PeIg to see +5 and +10 damage in the guidelines and then Wizard's Icy Grip hits +20. I also like a base of 12 doing +12 damage in that case, so maybe you're sponting a spell and go for the most damage you can manage and you hit +12 since you did a bit better than +10.

Speaking of lab texts, I'm not a fan of choosing spells out of the books. Mostly this is because it works really well if you match the several concepts those were designed around, while penalizing you for being original. For instance, if you want to sling fire as a stereotypical Flambeau, there are tons of spells for you to select from. But, for instance, if you want to be a Flambeau who fights using bronze, then there are very few if any existing spells to use. Shame on you for being original.

To avoid this requires allowing custom starting spells, which can require adjudication. Small variations like R/D/T or changing damage are pretty simple and don't require any real adjudication, but more complex changes certainly could require more. How are you all with custom starting spells?

I've been a fan of custom starting spells for a while, but I do see the point in saying no, because your parens isn't going to give you time to invent them, so you're learning spells from them or a book.

My suggestion would be R/D/T changes to canon spells are probably around in reasonable abundance in texts, and custom spells which are things your parens would have invented should be allowed. Which may or may not be useful, depending if you learned your specialty from them, but at least provides a good rationale.

1 Like

Yes, this is certainly valid. That's why I don't like going with really specialized/odd spells that the magus would want to later invent.

1 Like

I've been debating between Mythic Alchemy, Mechanica of Heron, and Verditius Magic. Still in that debate, but leaning toward traditional Verditius Magic as is meshes with Hermetic magic better.

@mjprogue , I noticed you listed yourself for "enchanter." I think you're taking Mercurian Magic and focusing in Corpus, so you'll be good at healing, physical necromancy (if you haven't dropped necromancy entirely), and longevity. I'm just making sure my "builder" isn't stepping on your "enchanter."

Not at all. Medicus would be a better title anyway.

OK, good. I'm focusing more on Rego for craft magic. I feel like I'll end up with Verditius, which is item oriented rather than ritual oriented. So that should keep some space.

@Arthur Your post about the character summaries isn't an editable wiki post. That may be why there are a bunch of replies in that thread, or maybe people just lost track of which thread it is.

Everyone, are we using probably the most common house rule/interpretation: you can change specialties when you improve the level of an Ability? That may matter with post-apprenticeship advancement.

Where do we land on Creo Circle/Mom rituals?

I agree that RAW seems to indicate they work as intended but it can seriously change the vis consumption in a campaign....I will therefore be content with either interpretation. Not looking to rehash the thousand and one discussions on the topic we can find all over the site...just need a ruling for this campaign.

Circle/Mom, you mean, right?

1 Like

Yes, RAW allows them, as long as you're talking healing/improvement rather than de novo creation.

I don't think it changes vis consumption that much. Even without it you could do Group instead. With Mercurian Magic, you're looking at a 1-pawn difference. Is that noticeable? Yes. Does it seriously change vis consumption for the campaign overall? I doubt it. It makes developing those rituals 10 levels easier, though, which speeds up development more noticeably than the vis reduction in my mind.

1 Like

Did we decide on starting year, something other than 1220?

Not precisely, though we did discuss starting a number of year before 1220.

Would 1205 be agreable to everyone?

That's the year after the sack of Constantinople, so House Jerbiton is in turmoil and people might not react to our covenant getting settled right away. It is also 2 years before the next Tribunal meeting. Four years before the Albigensian Crusade.

Plenty of historical and Hermetic events that can be weaved into our stories.

5 Likes

Fine with me.

Works for me.

Note that I will be offline tomorrow.

I've been wiped out after work the last few days. I should have some time today and tomorrow to get my magus entirely together at least though.

1 Like