Table Talk - Stealing the Future

When we've completed all of the Gathering threads, I'm going to consolidate them into what is now the Prelude thread that Ancel is in. It will be a bit of a mess to read through afterwards, so if you think it's important, make frequent use of the quote function. I'll include a note about the poor flow of the thread in the first post for anyone reading the thread in the future.

Has anyone given thought to extracurricular activities/clubs for apprentices? I will be creating at least one apprentice for every PC apprentice, so there will be a lot of apprentices to do something...

Some might be more fraternal, as in student level, but the classic 'snipe hunt', essentially hunting a small mythical creature that hopefully bears vis. Traditionally a guide will prank the others and take them out into the woods at night and tell them to wait in a spot and they'll flush the snipe to them, and then just leave them out there.

Legitimately though, games of capture the flag, debate club, and familiar finding could be good.

If we're patterning after Hogwarts, here are some extracurricular activities from the book: Hogwarts Extracurricular Subjects. One thing that I remember from the books that this didn't cover was the 'duelling club' from Chamber of Secrets. Maybe that'd be a Certamen club?

I can see a debate club using the debating rules in Houses of Hermes: Societates, pp. 90-93 that might appeal to future Guernici, Tytali, and Trianomae. Maybe a 'moot court'? Or rather, 'moot Tribunal' to teach people the Hermetic political process.

Ancel would be able to offer these, and the skills possibly used:

• 'Moot Tribunal' and politics (Intrigue, Order of Hermes Lore, Code of Hermes)
  • Magic Lore and non-Hermetic traditions (Magic Lore, Code of Hermes)
  • Advanced Magic Theory (Magic Theory)
  • Special Project (when he begins his Integration/Original Research project, for a lab assistant)

Well, Clement (Quaesitor cum auctoritate) isprobably the one to preside over a mock tribunal. Although two coaches preparing the prosecution and defense would make sense.

The others I don't see as clubs so much as elective classes, and even then all of these come later.

Contests that practice the arcane skills. For example, simple wands could be made that allow the user to lift things (Unseen Hand) and the user picks up objects and moves them through obstacle courses. This could practice Finesse and Concentration.

Other extracurricular activities could be field trips to regios; it was one of the reason I took two spells that see into regios.

A dueling (certamen) club is probably the easiest to pull off with first years, given the low Arts scores... Eventually this could even grow into a dueling club that covers the Dimicatio.

Keep in mind field trips will turn into chaos, due to the full effects of the Gift coming into focus. Field trips will likely be small groups and will be extracurricular in nature, too, so that if it becomes necessary to extend Parma to students, the teacher can do so effectively.

It's kind of funny that Ancel has a (slightly) higher Code of Hermes score than the resident Quaesitor. :wink:

To paraphrase A Few Good Men. It doesn't matter what I know. It only matters what I can prove!

I created this spreadsheet mostly because I was curious about the cross section of our magi's respective skills, but the Jonathan.Link might find this a useful reference: Stealing the Future: Magi Matrix

Clement has Stealth 4. Not Survival 4.

and he has 10 more years to do.

Rows blur together after a while. :slight_smile: I've made the update and noted that Clement is still incomplete.

As is Fiona...I think I only posted her up to 1255, and she's still got a dozen years to post yet.

One thing I've been curious about is what, if any, Houses have new Primi compared to the default of 1220. I would be surprised if ex Misc does, as Ebroin was a young, vibrant magus when he was named Primus in 1216. Some of the others, I'm fairly certain, would have new faces at the top.

I don't know if it would make any difference overall, but I am curious.

Tria is Prima for Bonisagus
Poenia is Prima for Tremere, but not long for retirement.
Insatella's daughter is Prima. I can't recall her name.
Bilera is still Prima for Guernicus
Erimas is Primus for Tytalus
Stouritus (canonical) is the Primus for Verditius
Muscaria (canonical) is the Prima for Criamon
Handri (canonical) is the Primus for Merinita
Since you're the Bjornaer expert, I choose you to name the Primus of that House, if you'd like, PB
Ex Misc is probably still canonical (Does Fiona care?)
And Jerbiton is still Andru, although he's thinking about retirement.

I intend to do a writeup about these, but I hadn't given a thought to the Bjornaer.

I can see Falke still being Prima of Bjornaer, as she was fairly young when she was named to the position (49 in 1220, according to Guardians of the Forest, which would have made her 32 when she replaced Urgen). I picture her as being a lot stronger and more savvy, and not feeling so out of her depth with time and experience.

And Fiona (like most ex Misc, probably) doesn't really care who the Primus is, as long as they leave her be for the most part.

Any items that we want made? I'm thinking items that we'd perhaps want multiple copies of, perhaps even charged items for use with the teachers and students. Another idea might be to get casting tablets of necessary spells, or require each magus (where possible) to be able to cast the spell or somehow provide the effect?

Something I was thinking about regarding Certamen. In the Ars forum under the Chraged Item Focus topic the Certamen focus is being discussed too. I think that as a focus it has issues. One thing i was thinking as a possible remedy would be that Tremere get a Minor virtue which provides a supernatural Ability of Certamen at a score of 1. Like any Ability it can be raised with xp at the normal rate.

What the Tremere use Certaman (ability) for is to improve their Certamen scores. I was thinking that in a round of Certamen (a round consisting of attack and defense) they could trade their Certamen score for any 2 of the Abilities used in a round of Certamen (so they could use Certamen instead of Penetration, or Parma or Finesse). This way they can concentrate XP into one Ability to get a maximized benefit and would represent the inherent skill that Tremere are said to have, instead of the more simplistic doubling of the lowest Art score.

For specialties of the Ability, you would typically take a School. And then for the dual School Virtue, just drop that as a Virtue and say that anyone that achieves a certain level of mastery (say a score of 5) could pick up a second School as a Specialty. The Specialties are then used as normal...I don't think any of them really rely on the focus itself to work but provide specific maneuvers and style bonuses.

This would also free up their ability to take a focus and would be generally consistent with the free Minor Virtue each House gets.

Whatcha think?

I tend to favor the take Paul Briscoe has on it in De Domo Tremeris. It acts similar to a focus, in that you double the lower of the Arts, but it's called Certamen Focus and it isn't considered a minor magical focus, allowing someone to take a magical focus.

A Certamen ability is something that only gets used in Certamen, and so allowing it to substitue for Penetration, finesse, whatever doesn't really add all that much to the supposed strength Tremere are supposed to have with Certamen.

That all depends I suppose, but Certamen focus would eliminate the issue of not being able to take a focus at all. So that's a plus.

The main difference i think is that you can concentrate your Certamen ability to a decent level and it basically can count twice, and then the remaining Ability could be decent, it would then show Tremere as practicing and skillful rather than having a simple focus. I guess I also hearken back to when Certamen was a skill in earlier editions.