Table Talk

To Referata? So, that's, like an overwhelming majority in favor...which is pretty sad, when you think about it :laughing:

Yeah, sorry. That could have been a bit clearer.

Should we seek new blood?

Probably. We have you, JL, and qcipher; darkwing hasn't been on the forums in about two weeks, so I'm not sure if he's still in or not. And the people who had previously replied have disappeared.

I'll put a "looking for new players" on the recruitment thread sometime today.

There have been two posts by forum novices. In the Players looking for games forum.

I've at least got a site on the Refarate for the wiki, at canaries.referata.com/wiki/Main_Page.

It's butt naked, but at least I have site so I can start transferring/organizing stuff, and trying to figure out how to do stuff.

So....um....does anybody want to join my introduction thread?

I was waiting to see if any (either?) of the other players wanted to jump in before I dragged in one of the Elders.

Where is it happening on the map? Is it near Aodhan's sanctum?

This gets us to the "how detailed do you want to get?" question. Teaching 15 people, Buttercup is a Q6 source. Yet, Magister Rolenti turns out to be a Q17 source for one-on-one teaching in Teaching. If someone had put this three together in a room in 1222.2, and decided to teaching Teaching to Buttercup while Robin Hood was teaching Archery to the men, and vice versa, then the turb gets much more effective pretty quickly (and possibly, our raiding income would go up :smiling_imp: ). On the other hand, if grogs are static and paperwork-free, then that's one less spreadsheet table for me to contemplate.

Tangent: demons make me think of Red Coral, which makes me think of Talia's ships, which makes me wonder if there's money to be had farming coral as an income source for us.

It's taking place on the winter solstice. About 10 minutes ago, you all finished casting the Aegis of the Hearth ritual, and most covenants throw a party afterward. Elfqueen chases Janet through the woods, and we enter the covenant from the west, near the Revel Hall (where presumably the party is).

Tangent: Another map layer for you guys. This time, the location of all of url=http://toastology.com/junx/armcanaries/Covenantmap-vis.jpg]vis sources[/url] (except the Rockface, 6 miles north of here, and the Spring in Glencoe, which, if I'm deducing Glencoe correctly, is 50 miles southwest). Note that the Driftwood, Mandrake and Fleece are arbitrarily placed within the guidelines of the description. I guess, come to that, the graveyard is also arbitrarily placed.

Actually, Insula Canaria casts their Aegis on the summer solstice now, after their summer council meeting. There is a big covenant-wide party on the solstice/equinox evenings, though.

(They probably used to do it on Winter, but a couple of years ago, they had that whole situation where they found out their princeps was actually his apprentice who had turned diabolist and had been successfully impersonating his former master for who-knows-how-long, so they had to cast an emergency Aegis when he took off after he'd been revealed.)

Okay, so then it happens on the summer solstice, minutes after you've cast Aegis. I'll go update the thread.

Just to confirm, Trimalchio the pralixian is still at the covenant. While the game was on hiatus, I was only checking this board about once a week or so, so last week it looked a bit quiet, and then this week it looks like everything is go again! I will go back to checking the boards every 1-2 days, and get thinking as to how I can investigate the giants/ giant magic trace I found.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm spending spring getting my longevity ritual done (barring magical disaster or assault on the covenant), and borrowing 1 pawn of vis in advance of this year's vis salary to do it, as discussed under "gates of Janus"

That is correct. I've not kicked anyone out, and I believe that means that everyone's back on board, pretty much.

1223.3: A Giant Problem also has an opening for anyone to respond to the alarm bells, if anyone's interested...I think that's the only story thread that hasn't seen any activity since I restarted.

Just a heads-up: if you haven't heard, Hurricane Sandy is due to hit land Monday evening, and is supposed to be incredibly big. I'm 125 miles (200 km) inland from the nearest point on the coast and 170 miles (275 km) from where it's expected to hit landfall. Because of the high winds and heavy rain, even as far in as I am, they're talking about power outages that could last for several days. To be honest, I would be surprised if we lose power for more than a few hours, if that...but if I disappear this week, that's why.

That's what I was afraid of...

In case you haven't noticed, I've got our wiki in halfway decent shape. At least good enough to start using.

What I would like to do is to maintain our character sheets there (I even have all the magi and companions listed on the front page of the wiki, and once everyone has their characters there, that would be the "official" character sheets, complete with seasonal advancement and what not.

And feel free to add, edit, whatever, too. Or discuss what's on there, ask why something is or isn't, whatever. I'd like it to be at least nominally a collaborative effort.

That's just standard advancement rules per RAW, before play begins.
Paolo could read, and potentially, depending on what his free season(s) are like could be in a position to earn more than 15 xp annually...

We could do "seasonal" advancement for the grogs, but it sounds like a lot of work.

Ah. Grogs, p. 67. Grogs get two seasons of exposure, a season of practice, and a season of Vocational training. For example, it says that "the grog captain determines which Ability has been taught that year", with advancement being done in the winter.

So, grogs get two seasons in Exposure in whatever (such as Gaelic), a season of practice (such as Gaelic, Cooking, Area Lore, or whatever), and a season of arms training, Profession: Sailor, Charm, or whatever. Plus adventure (the book says to lose a season every time a grog gets Adventure xp, but I think that's stupid.) Plus, any season that you don't get exposure elsewhere, you can take Exposure in Gaelic (2xp, per RAw - and this applies to everyone, not just grogs).

It (theoretically) works out about the same, though.

So, to recap:

• 2 seasons Exposure in whatever's reasonable.
  • 1 season Practice in whatever's reasonable, plus Exposure in Gaelic.
  • 1 season Vocational Training in whatever the character's profession is, plus Exposure in Gaelic.
  • Adventure experience, as awarded.

I'll figure out a place to put that in the wiki, probably in the OOC/Metagaming section.