Table Talk

Well, it's been almost a month since Darkwing's been on the boards, a tad longer since he's posted here, and he hasn't read my pm from last week. So, it looks like I'm going to be resolving that thread in the next day or so. No one else really had more than a line, so it looks like no xp/cp for anyone :frowning: .

Unless something happens before I get around to it.

I'm game to play it through, I was trying to keep Talia out of the lead...

eyes the Come Sail Away thread

Aww. Isn't that sweet of Talia. They obviously did not part on the best of terms, and she's still willing to take care of his pinnace...

:laughing:

"I like the cut of his jib."
But seriously, Talia has to tread lightly. Despite being a relatively attractive woman who gives it up easily, Aeliophanes is a Gently Gifted magus who could try and pull a Khan on her.

I'm awake! I spent weeks on night shift sleeping through the day when I wasn't online, and then went offline visiting my folks over Christmas, but I am back online.

still stumped for non-violent options for dealing with the giants though. Looks like it might be character suicide "Come on giants, taste THIS!" spell fails to penetrate "Ummm..."

Gathering information should be right up a perceptive magus's alley...

Random question...

Is there a universal system for gaining acclaim/renown within the Order? I know systems exist for Bonisagus and Flambeau House Acclaim, but I don't think I've seen an equivalent system that can be applied to magi of all Houses.

If there is, I'm not aware of it. I'd be happy to be pointed to one so I can check it out and see how it flies.

Interco....
That's what she sa...
Never mind. Too easy. :smiley:

Yes. Yes, she is.

I think the proper phrase is 'I'll be in my bunk'. :slight_smile:

I'm kicking around the idea of Antoninus developing a mystery cult focused on his goal for House Mercere and I have a system question. He will eventually be developing scripts for virtues he already possesses. It's much easier for him to develop a new script if he's initiating himself rather than another person. If he initiates himself into a new 'degree' that would give him a virtue he already has, what happens? Does he get some related virtue? Does he just gain no benefit?

I was going to go with that, but I thought it would be too obvious.

I would say that it depends on the virtue and the Mystery. I know, that's kind of a non-answer, but still.

I'm also going to have to do some thinking about just how one "invents" a new Mystery Cult. I take it this is kind of a long-term goal?

I'd call it an intermediate-term goal. I figure 5-10 years to accumulate enough Cult Lore to write his first initiation script, a few years for each script thereafter, and he'll start recruiting once he has three or four degrees defined. Call it 20-25 years to hash out the full degree structure complete with initiation scripts, by which point he should have a few initiates. This is assuming you'll permit me to spend some of my recent advancement xp on Cult Lore. If not, add a few years to my estimates.

My concept for the cult is still in its embryonic stages. I'm fairly certain it will be focus on Mutantus or Mercere himself. It will be tied into Antoninus's desire to open House Mercere to accepting outside apprentices. One possibility is for Antoninus to find everything he can that was written by Mercere and cherry-pick whatever helps justify changing the traditions, then building the 'secrets' of the cult around that. I anticipate that initiates will gain a couple general virtues and eventually the three basic 'Mutantum' virtues - Harnessed, Tethered, and Boosted Magic. I plan to restrict membership to members of House Mercere, though that will include any members Antoninus trains that are not of Mercere's lineage. None of this is set in stone. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Seconded. :smiley:

Shiny.

As much time as he'll spend polishing it, it better be.

I'm working on an item idea and wanted to run it by the troupe.

The basis of the item is Trapping the Fire (MuIg(Te) 25), which transforms a large campfire into a small gem or piece of metal. I'm trying to design something that would let the user carry around an emergency campfire indefinitely. My plan is to enchant a small brass wand/rod with a Touch-range version of TtF. The user can stick one end of the wand into the fire, trigger the item, and the fire changes into a ball of brass (or other metal) on the end of the wand. The TtF effect is made constant with Sun duration, 2 uses/day, and environmental trigger (sunrise/sunset). The effect is also Harnessed, so the user can end the 'constant' duration whenever he wants. I'll also add a third use/day to allow for the initial transformation each time it's used.

I think the math works out like this...MuIg base 5, +1 Touch, +2 Sun, Terram requisite free, 3/day +2 levels, environmental trigger +3 levels, Harnessed free = level 25. Does this look right? And yes, I know I could get a similar end result with 10-15 fewer levels if I used CrIg. :slight_smile:

Edited because I apparently can't add.

I'd think you need to add 2-3 magnitudes to change into metal/gemstone, as per the Te guidelines.