Targetting passengers of a boat

Opinions please

If a mage with Flexible Formulaic Magic wishes to affect people on a rowboat, is Group or Room the appropriate Target? Or Structure?

Does it matter if there is eleven people on board?

If they've got FFM, it doesn't matter, as Group and Room are the same level.

I'd say group. I'm not sure it would apply as a room or structure. It's not enclosed. The example in core rules does mention courtyard, so not having a roof isn't an absolute no, but room seems a bit off. Then again, a bag counts as a room, so, I'm sure others will say it can be a room........

Since a boat has walls that keep people in and the sea out, I presumed it counted as a sort of Room.

2 Likes

Depends on the boat really, a cog is a different beast from a tiny raft made of a few logs strapped together.
I would be inclined to find both group or room in order: a few people on a (row?)boat definitely consist of a group.
Structure would only be needed for a (very) large boat, though of course, the Vasa is years away from its maiden voyage in 1220...

Row boat? Sure. Cog or Caravel? Probably Structure.

T:Group, T:Room and T:Structure all work, subject to size limitations. T:Structure is probably overkill if the rowboat is a sufficiently small unpartitioned space, but it does work, and it has the benefit of being able to affect the boat itself with the same spell.

It may, depending on their size and the Form of the spell.
Remember that T:Group without size modifiers can encompass about 10 Individuals worth of stuff; T:Room 100. For example, for Corpus, T:Group without size modifiers can encompass about 10 large men (of size +1), about 20-25 average-size people (size 0), or about 100 children (of size -2).

1 Like

What will matter here is the form of the spell. Mentem, for example, will target up to ten persons as a group and would fail on a group of 11. Corpus will affect a group whose mass doesn't exceed the weight of ten Size +1 humans, so it might affect ten size 0 adults + ten childrens and teens, or it might affect up to 6 giant-blooded adults. An Herbam spell would be looking at volumes and area of effects, while an auram spell would likely affect the air on the boat with a standard individual.

1 Like