Temporis? Tempis?

Considering there are multiple, independent, possible actions, "time" should be a form, not a technique. Try to put your hands on Bard Bloom's "World Tree" for an example of how that works out.

That's not what my dictionary says, or rather it is not all.

Yes, you are right, to "measure duration" is one meaning of the verb time. However, other meanings are: "to set a time for", "to pick a suitable time for", "to control the speed or execution of an action".

Isn't that what your technique is going to be doing? Taking an object and setting what time it is (old, young, etc ...), or controlling it's passage through time?

Both would be Rego effects for the Form of Tempus :slight_smile:

You can look at it either way, whatever works for your saga.

Personally, I'd be perfectly happy with looking at it as Timing a [edit]Form...opps[/edit] Technique. So you had TiCo effects to time a person, TiHe effects to time a tree etc.

Tempe - "I retire the Form to a desert city"
Tempeh - "I ferment and form the Form into a little cake."

Time then becomes a discrete thing instead of an Aristotelian Category of an object, thus the reason it's a Technique in Art and Academe.

Well, we're already altering it slightly from Art and Academe... (the Category of time refers to an object's placement in time. Yesterday, today, tomorrow, next week, so on) but if we want to keep it as a technique (which we currently do) we'd better get to mangling that Latin.

I can certainly see reasons to make it a Form, but it seems to make more sense as a Technique, and there's various other reasons.

Precisely. Time is not a thing in Aristotlean thought, but one of the differentia or 'accidents'. Since most of the other differentia describe the actions of Techniques -- changes in substance, quantity, and quality are all Muto, changes in action, passion, and location are all Rego -- some magi have posited that changing the time of a thing is also possible.

There is:
conficio - "I bring about"
constituo - "I establish"
These aren't perfect, but they have a strong meaning in time.

Mark

Exactly. Besides, PeTi would get kinda weird...

Ah, very handy, thank you.

What, you've never ever lost time?

God, haven't I. The perils of absent-mindedness.

But I don't think I ever want to support the ultimate plot of Final Fantasy VIII. Kurse all SeeDs.

Anyone remember the old gag about the "Order of Galifrey"?

Was that a pastrami on rye, hold the mayo?