Tertio of Flambeau

One day in 1236, a young man wearing rags shows up at the gates of Castra Solis. He claims to be a freshly gauntleted member of the house and gives his name as Tertio (L. “of the third (generation)”) Flambonis, filius Montazin.
At first, he is refused entry, as the only Montazin on record is the second filius of Apromor, vanished during the 9th century.
The young man proudly insists. He is tested and not only found to be Gifted, but also able to use the Arts, especially Perdo and cast a surprisingly strong Parma. He tells a strange tale:

“I was a child when a fiery red-haired woman bought me from my parents who were farmers near Toulouse. She told me I was Gifted, taught me some Latin and opened my Arts. She called herself Beatrix ex Flambeau. I was with her for half a year maybe when we went exploring this cave in search of old Flambeau documents. Down in the cave, hundreds of feet underneath the ground, the light of her staff was extinguished and she started arguing about the legacy of the Founder with someone I couldn’t see. Suddenly, the darkness got even blacker and the air got so cold I thought I would freeze to death. I wanted to run, but I couldn’t. Then an eerie pale light appeared and for the first time, I saw the ghostly form of Montazin, my master. He taught me for many years until he pronounced me gauntleted. He has now sent me out to investigate the fate of Val-Negra and of the Founder himself.”

House Flambeau quickly verifies that a maga named Beatrix Flambonis really disappeared at the time of Tertio’s tale. After some muttering, he wa sturned away by Castra Solis.

Sta+1, Int +2, Str +2, Com -2, Pre -1, Dex +2, Qik +1, Per 0

Virtues:
Puissant and affinity Perdo
Flawless magic
Puissant parma
Ghostly Warder (Montazin ex Flambeau)
improved characteristics
apt pupil

Flaws:
Major Driven (answer the ghost’s questions about House Flambeau’s past so that he can rest)
mentor (Montazin)
Twilight Prone
Infamous Master
Weak Parens
minor proud or judged unfairly or patient or humble

Magic style: PeVi, PeIg, PeMe, PeIm, PeTe (weightless armor), fights with mundane weapons

What follows is a version at gauntlet. I find it hard to find an excuse for this character not to come directly to Andorra/Val-Negra after being gauntleted. Why would he tarry for 15 years if his ghostly friend knows where it is? This makes the character weak in some areas (he has the social skills of someone who has lived in a cave for 15 years and finds it hard to cast anything but his Pe spells), but on the other hand, he can lay to rest any being up to Might 30 in one round (in a neutral aura). Alternatively, I'm grateful for any ideas why he does not go to Val-Negra right away (having to prove himself in the eyes of Castra Solis is such an idea, but is somewhat weak.

Sta+1, Int +2, Str +2, Com -2, Pre -1, Dex +1, Qik +2, Per 0

Virtues:
Puissant and affinity Perdo
Flawless magic
Puissant parma
Ghostly Warder (Montazin ex Flambeau) or would that be magical warder for greater flexibility and power (from RoM)
improved characteristics
Skilled parens

Flaws:
Major Driven (answer the ghost’s questions about House Flambeau’s past so that he can rest)
mentor (Montazin)
Twilight Prone
Infamous Master
minor humble
offensive to animals

Magic style: PeVi, PeIg, PeMe, PeIm, PeTe (weightless armor), fights with mundane weapons

Early Childhood:
Athletics 1 (hiking)
Awareness 2 (alterness)
Brawl 1 (kick)
Folk Ken (peasants) 1
Survival 2 (finding food)

Childhood:
Hunt (traps) 2
Stealth 1 (moving silently)
Swim 1 (rivers)
Living Language Basque (peasants) 1

Apprenticeship (120xp ability + 140xp arts + 40xp mastery)
Artes Liberales (ceremonial casting) 1
Latin (Hermetic) 4
Magic Lore (ghosts) 1
Magic Theory (spell invention) 3
Order of Hermes Lore (House Flambeau) 1
Parma Magica (Ignem) 1+2
Penetration (Perdo) 2
Single Weapon (Long Sword) 1

Arts:
Pe 15+3 (80xp x 1,5 = 120xp)
Im 5, Vi 5, Me 4, Te 4, Ig 4 (60xp)

Spells:
Demon’s Eternal Oblivion PeVi10; Mastery 3: penetration, multiple, secure
Irony PeVi 10; Mastery 3 (DEO against fairies): penetration, multiple, secure
Sap the Griffin’s Strength PeVi10; Mastery 3: penetration, multiple, quick
Hauberk of Supreme Lightness PeTe30; mastery 1: subtle
Veil of Invisibility PeIm20; mastery 1: subtle
Minor Blessing of Childlike Bliss PeMe20; mastery 1: subtle (D: diameter)
Magic be gone PeVi25; mastery 1: subtle (blanket end magic spell up to lvl20+d10, used normally to end his own spells - like invisibility before sunset)
Loss of but a moment’s memory PeMe15; mastery 2: subtle, quiet
The invisible candle CrIg5 (Base 2; +1 Touch, +2 sun), mastery 1: multiple
Warm clothes CrIg5 (base 2; +2 sun, +1 Touch), mastery 1: subtle

As a ghost, his memory is not quite clear. And the magic of it is such that the location is easily forgettable. You may have started at Castra Solis, then moved on from there to Doisettep (Aedas Mercurri). Spend some time there then head on over to Andorra after an interesting conversation with one of the Knights of Seneca there (a Flambeau Societas with alternate views on history).
Montazin sounds like a great example of Magical Warder ("Ghostly Warder" got beefed up on steroids in RoP-Magic)

Wow, I've blasted through my wall of work. I'll try and stat the ghost now (before I go on a skiing holiday in the Alps, poor me :laughing: )

I don't get the creation of magical beings. Do I really have to stat the ghost?
I also think the characte ris cooler fresh from gauntlet (and yes, he's weaker than most, but why not?)

IIRC, a ghostly warden is a magical warden of sorts, anyway. Do as you please, so long as it's cool and you're happy with it :smiley:

As fer Montazin, I can design him for you if you want :smiley: I like doing this.

I think that would be wonderful. It would also eliminate the temptation for me to make him a bunch of "useful" numbers rather than a character with his own agenda.

And with all the numbers out of the way, I can start writing some scenes in Tertio's life.

Ok. This may take a while, but will do :smiley:

Ignem Might, some "ghost" powers, some fiery-related ones.

He is the ghost of a school of Apromor magus, so it's probably cold rather than fire.

Ok, I have him, I just need to take the files and copy-paste him here and on the wiki.

A lot of perdo powers, some lores, I didn't go over the board but he's fine :smiley:

Montazin ex Flambeau
Magic Might: 15 (Ignem)
Characteristics: Int +3, Per +2, Pre -1, Com -1, Str 0, Sta 0, Dex 0, Qik 0
Size: 0
Season: Summer
Confidence: 1 (3)
Personality Traits: Dedicated +1, Pessimistic +2, Likes a show +2

Virtues:
Magic Spirit, Educated (50/50), Arcane Lore (50/50)

Flaws:
Magical Air*, Warped Senses: Sensitive (Sight), Driven (Discover House Flambeau's Past)

Qualities:
Lesser Power × 11: 275/275, Improved Abilities × 1 (+50 exp), Improved Recovery × 3 (1 Might/12 min)

Inferiorities:
Monstrous Appearance [Half-human, half-living ice, not unlike Iceman in the X-Men, only rougher], No Fatigue

Combat:
Dodge: Init: +0, Attack --, Defense +0, Damage --
Fist: Init: +0, Attack +0, Defense +0, Damage +0
Kick: Init: -1, Attack +0, Defense -1, Damage +3
Soak: 0
Fatigue levels: Tireless
Wound Penalties: -1 (1-5), -3 (6-10), -5 (11-15), Incapacitated (16-20), Dead (21+)

Abilities:
Area Lore: Toulouse 3 (legends), Area Lore: Provencal Tribunal 1 (personalities), Artes Liberales 1 (astronomy), Awareness 2 (bodyguarding), Bargain 1 (Magical items), Charm 2 (Debate), Code of Hermes 2 (wizards' marches), Concentration 2 (spell concentration), Covenant Lore: ??? Covenant 3 (history), Etiquette 3 (nobility), Finesse 4 (targeting), Folk Ken 3 (magi), French 3 (Poitevin), Latin 4 (hermetic usage), Leadership 2 (magi), Magic Lore 3 (regiones), Magic Theory 4 (Ignem), Occitan 5 (Catalan), Order of Hermes Lore 3 (history), Penetration 3 (Ignem), Philosophiae 2 (natural philosophy), Teaching 2 (Penetration)

Powers:
Eidolon (Lesser: 50), Points: 0, Initiative: Qik-2, Form: Imaginem, Range: Touch, +1, Duration: Conc, +1, Target: Ind, +0, Level: CrIm15, Design: 15 levels, Base 2, +1 Touch, +1 Conc, +2 move at command, +1 intricacy, -3 Might cost, +4 Initiative cost

Crush the Light (Lesser: 25), Points: 3, Initiative: Qik-8, Form: Ignem, Range: Touch, +1, Duration: Sun, +2, Target: Room, +2, Level: PeIg20, Design: 20 levels, Base 3, +1 Touch, +2 Sun, +2 Room, -1 Might cost

Curse of the Rotted Wood (Lesser: 5), Points: 1, Initiative: Qik-2, Form: Herbam, Range: Touch, +1, Duration: Mom, +0, Target: Ind, +0, Level: PeHe5, Design: 5 levels, Base 4, +1 Touch

Dissolving the Wall of Shields (Lesser: 25), Points: 3, Initiative: Qik-8, Form: Mentem, Range: Voice, +2, Duration: Mom, +0, Target: Group, +2, Level: PeMe20, Design: 20 levels, Base 4, +2 Voice, +2 Group, -1 Might cost

Fist of Shattering (Lesser: 10), Points: 2, Initiative: Qik-4, Form: Terram, Range: Voice, +2, Duration: Mom, +0, Target: Ind, +0, Level: PeTe10, Design: 10 levels, Base 4, +2 Voice

Invisible Sling of Vilano (Lesser: 15), Points: 1, Initiative: Qik-4, Form: Terram, Range: Touch, +1, Duration: Mom, +0, Target: Ind, +0, Level: ReTe10, Design: 10 levels, Base 5, +1 Touch, -1 Might cost

Rusted Decay of Ten-Score Years (Lesser: 15), Points: 1, Initiative: Qik-4, Form: Terram, Range: Voice, +2, Duration: Mom, +0, Target: Ind, +0, Level: PeTe10, Design: 10 levels, Base 4, +2 Voice, -1 Might cost

Unseen Arm (Lesser: 5), Points: 1, Initiative: Qik-2, Form: Terram, Range: Voice, +2, Duration: Conc, +1, Target: Ind, +0, Level: ReTe5, Design: 5 levels, Base 2, +2 Voice, +1 Conc

Wizard's Icy Grip (Lesser: 125), Points: 0, Initiative: Qik+1, Form: Ignem, Range: Voice, +2, Duration: Mom, +0, Target: Ind, +0, Level: PeIg30, Design: 30 levels, Base 20, +2 Voice, -6 Might cost, +13 Initiative cost

Forgot to include powers descriptions, although some are spell-like. Will update.

Wow, cool! Thank you! So where do I start?

Whenever you are ready, I can think of two places for a possible start that each involve the ghost. First is that he leads you to Andorra in search of (whatever), and we play that by ear from there. Second idea is that you are in the Sahara as one of the other expeditions mentioned in the area. Perhaps yours was also whacked or thy double crossed you.
Other ideas and suggestions are welcome. Perhaps you meet up with one of our characters while they are off on adventure. Such as Vibria in Transylvania or Antoine in Levant or Carmen at Fenheld in Rhine.

I have no idea how he could have gotten himself to the Sahara.

So can I have him walk into the gate, freshly gauntletted and turned away by the magi at Castra Solis (who snubbed his ghostly parens), and go hunting for Flambeau's remains and/or the Lost Covenant of the Founder?

I have a thousand ideas how he could have gotten there. Think like an adventurer :slight_smile:
But your idea is sound. If you want to find Val-Negra and secret history, Castra Solis will likely snub you and Doisettep (Aedas Mercuri) will want to keep their secrets hidden. But in your quest for knowledge you may have come across the lore of Andorra covenant. Supposedly it was once the home of a Schism War veteran named Delendos of Flambeau, who was said to be quite ancient and claimed he was the last apprentice of Flambeau. he covenant is also one of the historical locations of the Knights of Seneca, who have their own views on Flambeau's history. Finally, about sixteen years ago, an expedition from Andorra claimed to have located Lost Val-Negra. Interesting, none of those magi are around any longer...

Since I won't give him p.g. years, I'll have to reset the whole thing a few years later. Pray tell me, what year and season is it?

The furthest we have advanced is Summer 1236, when Fredrika shows up. You can go for that or sometime near around it.

Put Tertio on the Wiki.

A question on this.
As I take it, this is based on the same guideline than Wind of Mundane Silence.

Am I right to assume this is a Touch rnage spell, able dispell all magic up to [half (lvl 25 + 4 mag - 1 mag for range)] + Stress die, so [half (lvl 40)]+ Stress Die?

I may need a week or so to put him there.

I think your math on the spell is right - I find these rather complicated.

You misunderstand - he's already there.

Fixer's the man like that 8)