The "100 Ars Magica Plot Seeds" Thread

1. A sinkhole appears outside your covenant's aegis, over the following weeks it begins to widen, until it threatens to destroy an important access point for your supplies. Magical attempts to close it only last as long as their magic continues, and eventually it will require many many castings or a Vis expensive Ritual to fill. Is this a portal to hell, the wrath of a Terram mage, or simply the whims of nature?

2. One of the Covenfolk has a near death experience and converts to the local religion. They become more and more devoted, threatening the Covenant's routine. If properly handled this could be a postive thing, but most Magi are leery of the Divine, especially so close to home.

3. After a spell or lab botch, the area around the magus begins to burn with an unnatural flame (which is uneffected by the Aegis, if any, since it was cast by a member of the Covenant. This flame will burn stone, bone, and water equally well. It's odd composistion makes it resistant to Perdo Ignem also, what unusual magics or mundane items can stop it? Will the Magi figure it out before it burns their Covenant to the ground?

4. A new Priest takes over the parish near the Covenant, and begins to preach against it. A plague of snakes soon strikes the Covenant, then an outbreak of disease, all backed by the power of the Divine. Can they come to a truce before they are wiped out?

5. A character's intelliget familiar falls in love with a visiting wizard's familiar.

6. A wizard's family member or mundane friend has a business that is doing badly. They beg for help from their powerful contact. Will the magus use magic to increase business, give some money (either to tide them over or improve the business), or ignore it?

58 (usable only in realy wealthy and peacefull covenents) Your covenents is being considered as a good place to rest. A lot of magi begin to invite themself for "hollydays" and soon you nearly become an hotel. Will the pjs going crazy will all those maniacs demands or will they turn them out with a pilum of fire in the ass?

59 After a strange event in your lab, you find a book you have never seen before. The writing in it is a strange language, but the illustrations indicate the text refers to items of great power.

60 Your magus awakens as a fey in Arcadia. Can they survive and return home? What deals must they negotiate?

61 You wake up and all of your Grogs are gone. There is no sign of them, their possesions are still there. Will you recruit more, or will you try to find them?

62 Your young apprentice suddenly starts speaking in tongues. Do you recognize what it is? Do you send them off to the church? Or do you study them intently?

63 Your covenant has somehow aquired an infernal aura. Every work of magic and magic item are tainted. Can you find the cause before you are all marched?

64 You somehow open a gateway to Arcadia in your lab. Do you explore it, or invite your soldale in to help close it before the covenant is overrun.

65 Plants around your covenant stop growing. Crops wither and die, trees start to droop. Will you buy food in, or will you investigate the cause?

66 You suspect that one of your soldale is an infernalist. How will you gain the proof to denounce him?

67 You are suddenly rendered illiterate. You can no-longer read or write, and you cannot re-learn it. How can you cope, what will you sacrifice to regain your writing skills?

68 Every Familiar in the covenant is freed at once. All of the bonds are broken. There is a mad scramble as teh magi try to re-bind their familiar before someone else steals it.

69 Clouds gather around the covenant, as each day progresses, the clouds grow thicker. After a few weeks it starts to rain - constantly. Will the magi do something, or will it rain forever?

70 New stars are visible in the sky, every astrologer flees in terror. In your covenant an albino child has just been born. Are the two related?

You discover that [color=red]4 covenant teens and their pet dog are regularly solving crimes.

72. Your new apprentice arrives, Henry. He is the son of a potter, but he arrives by a curious steamdriven locomotive. The poor lad is suffering from delusions aswell as delusions of grandeur - he sees the signs of an evil mastermind everywhere and thinks himself to be the only salvation for humankind, but soon he will begin snooping around stuff not for him to be concerned about (such as the beastie in the basement aehhh?). And ohh, he is scared on the forehead - maybe that is the cause of all the delusions?? High cradles can do that sometimes, I will have you all know!

(Hey - maybe I should write a novel? Nah - wouldn't make a dime)

Lol, I think you guys are violating the spirit of the thread.

But in an entertaining way, so all is forgiven.

72.5. One of the mages eccentric Uncles leaves them a magical ring of transparency, but also leaves it to another angry magi, who is sore because it came into your possession. This "sore-one" will do what ever he can to recover this valuable ring, because he intends to use in in the nun's changing room at his local Convent. He has a group of African Zebra riders who will harass the PC mage if they step foot out of the covenant.

Plus it turns out someone's companion is King. Who knew?

Oh, and giant Trees walk around.

Then a big fight.

rofl :laughing:

Actually one of our grogs is a king - at least that is what his delusion tells him!

73 (or should that be 71?)

A travelling group of performers put on a play for your covenant, full of murder, sex, and betrayal. Everyone is very entertained. After the show leaves the staged happenings begin to play out in real life in the covenant. Have the performers given someone a good idea, is it coincidence, or are the travelers responsiable through dark magic somehow.

74 While in a distant town market, the PCs are accused of stealing, and it turns out they actually have the goods in question on them. Did one of their companions steal it, was it planted by an enemy, or did a thief about to be discovered put it on them for safe keeping? How do the PCs react? Do they ignore any city watch that insists they go before the minor lord to have their case heard? Either way, there should be good stories. Perhaps the lord wants to make an example of these "strangers".

75 A local Fay lord has decided that the Covenant's grogs and servants are wild beasts full of Ambrosical Vis (what ever that is), and takes great joy in ambushing them while they try to go about their duties. Perhaps he only disables them, taking an object or chunk as "coup", or perhaps he is deadly serious, killing them and extracting gorey "vis"-laden organs.

76 Your Pater's covenant has collasped. He, his peers and the surviving members of the covenant show up at his favorite students door. They are moving in.

77 Your Pater can not die until he/she visits all the Domus Magi. He has shown up at your door and expects you to accompany him on this, his final journey.

78 Your biological brother tracks you down and begs you for a longevity potion so he might not grow old.

79 10 years later your mundane brother has promised his whole family longevity potions so that they might also live longer lives.

80 Your former apprentice has a large number of gambling debts owed to angry Tremere. He seeks the protection of his Pater.

1. You discover that the leaders of House Tremere are all vampires.

LoL.

Also that your powers run on Quintessence, all spell magnitudes are gone, replaced by something called "dots" and when you cast a spell reality police, called Paradox spirits cart you off to a prison of your own making in something called the Umbra. Perhaps because it is dark brown. Perhaps because it sounds cool.

uh uh uh... Did you just say that a troll (but who...?) appeared down that hallway? Okay let me have a... I want to use a CreoReason spell on it!!! What, I cant'? I thought that Reason was the überpower trip?!?

82. You acheive Ascension...

uhm.. what does that mean?

[i]WHAT? That I cannot play my character anymore? Bu.. but but where did he go? :cry: What, does that mean, that my mind is as still as the pond?[/i]

I think ascension mean final twilight :smiling_imp:

81.5 Having warned the entire Order of Hermes about the Tremere Vampires, you discover it was all a mis-stake...

:blush: :blush: :blush:

One of my favourite quotes :

Oooh, now there's a quote with bite! You must be bats, caribet. You're makin' me all misty. :smiling_imp:

Narf!

83 A mysterious individual, cloaked in very potent Imaginem magics, seeks out the PCs. He (or she or it, who knows?) announces his intention to appear at the forthcoming Tribunal, impersonating an unnamed magus. He offers to vote with the PCs in one or two important matters, in exchange for a hefty price. The magi will probably not be foolish enough to accept his offer, but what will they do about it?

You have recently upgraded your Lab.
It contains many items that you inherited from your master ,
which he in turn had inherited from his master.
Your Grand-Pater makes a reappearance.
It was thought that he had gone to Final Twilight many years ago ,
back when you were an apprentice.
He requests the return of all his equipment.

1 Like

85 You awaken to find yourself like you were when you were a freshly gauntleted magus. You are younger, weaker, and many of the memories about your knowledges are "foggy". You are in the forest outside your Pater's covenant. Wht will you do? Will you relive your life, trying to use your knowledge to affect it, or will you set off in a different direction, making fresh choices.
You now have the flaw Dark Secret - if anyone finds out about what happened to you, you will become an Arch-Magi's research project.

While I was reading the fifth book in the Sword of Truth series I thought of a cool senerio for a plot seed.

1. As the wizards of a questing party finishes a long and dangerous quest, they wake up the next morning finding that they can no longer use magic. Their familiars are dying, and those from the house of Bjornear can not change into or out of their heart beast. As they make their way home, they find out that everyone in the order can not use magic. Their Covenants are at risk; and magical creatures as well as the fae are dying. The Order needs someone to investagate this situation. As it turns out, a dark wizard has mistakenly released three demons who devour magic until it does'nt exsist anymore. Once magic is completely gone, it will never return. Time moves against the party.

Read "Soul of the Fire" by Terry Goodkind to get a better understanding of things.