The Asylum Seeker (Summer 1235)

Sergean Arando wanders on over, looks overthe wall, and tells the hunters with the dogs that they have ten minutes before we pour boiling oil on them. He then has the guards start up a fire and get a kettle of oil going :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Fleur (still naked) looks over the battlements and calls down. "If you are still waiting to be cooked alive, would you mind at least telling us what this fellow you are chasing has done?"

Bartomeu is impressed by the maga. he can certainly patch up a wounded companion, but the supernatural skills are something to behold. Seeing flesh close like it was never damaged has left a strong mark on him.

The wounded man seems fairly helpless right now, and safe, so Bartomeu leaves him and moves to the door. He observes the reactions of the men outside through one of the portholes to see what they do. There are around a dozxen men at the door and its environs right now, so the situation is safe. he is more curious than anything. The wounded man must have done something to deserve this treatment, and he is curious as to what.

Actually the spell she cast simply gives a bonus to natural healing- she isn't using up vis on a stranger. Though if he is incapacitated the healing period is an hour...

Sorry, intern here, and now, I'll have to take back all the work I didn't do :frowning:

I'd love to, but a colleague of mine threw me under the bus at work and I've been working on dealing with the fallout from that.

Vibria arrives at the battlements (pausing to throw on her chain armour and grab her Draconian helm, just in case...and why does she not have Doublet of Impenetrable Silk? :unamused: ), sees Fleur leaning starkers over the battlements, rolls her eyes, mutters [size=33][color=red]"And I'm the one everyone spreads rumours about?"[/size] in Catalan under her breath, and asks for a report from whoever the highest-ranking grog is.

Early morning here, so just to clarify: that is figurative speech, right? :open_mouth:

Bartomeu looks at the armored maga approaching with an appreciative eye. That armor really highlights her bust; the Lion is right. What was her name again? He directs a pair of men to stand by nearby to open the door, just in case, since it is likely that this one will want to have the conversation with the newcomers face to face. So far they have been acting deaf to the requests for information from the battlements but he suspects that this is likely to change, whether the newcomers like it or not. You can say one thing about magi: they do not like nor accept being ignored.

It is. It means that she threw me into trouble to save herself from that same trouble. In this case, she (figuratively) stabbed me in the back to cover up her mistake and lay the blame on me.

Sergeant Oscar steps up to Vibria and comes to attention. "Good evening, Maga Vibria," he says. "I was making my rounds through the castle when I heard someone banging on the postern gate. I came to investigate, and found that Bartomeu had opened the gate, allowing this fellow in." He gestures to the injured man. "He claimed that men with dogs were following him and intended to kill him. Based on this, he begged for asylum. We closed the postern gate, and Bartomeu did what he could for the injured man. Soon thereafter, Maga Fleur arrived and also tended to the man's injuries." He gives a nod to Fleur, totally non-plussed by her current lack of dress. He's been around magi for long enough that nothing they do surprises him. "True to the man's statements, a short time ago three men with a pack of hounds arrived outside the gate. They have demanded that we turn this fellow over to them in the name of the Bishop of Urgel. I heard Sergeant Armando threated to pour boiling oil on them if they didn't leave. And I think he's started some cooking."

"That's the current situation. Have you any orders?"

Fleur adds, "I believe if we need to I can create a body to throw them, though I doubt it will last long. I'm not sure who this bishop is or want to seem like we threw bodies f people seeking sanctuary willy nilly to whomever comes to ask for them, and there is the risk the body will not be convincing. I attempted to engage them in dialogue, asking what he is wanted for, but there has been no response."

Does Vibria know of this Bishop of Urgel? Int 1 + Area Lore: Andorra 1 + die roll of 8 = 10. She will spend a Confidence Point if it makes a difference.

Also, how much trouble would we be in if these are the Bishop's men and we flash-fried them? Int 1 + Code of Hermes 2 + die roll of 4 = 7.

If we get them all who will know? It's not like the bishop knew they were headed here...

Area lore 6 should grant you the idea that the bishop is one of the 2 supposed big bosses of Andorra when it comes to mundane matters. It would IMS at least. That is really basic information. A 9 would grant you some more detail, like knowing some details about him.

((Just to check - I think Marko is the men-with-dogs, based on an earlier post; but if he's expecting me to be them, then the reason for the silence is that I hadn't realised :mrgreen: ))

You asked someone to play the men and dogs. I did not realize it was a permanent assingment.
:mrgreen:
okay, maybe I figured as much. But this is your story. Run with it :smiley:
And I am more interested in how the other characters react to the situation.

As for Vibria, Xavi's answer (ooc) is correct. The Bishop of Urgell is one of two co-princes to claim lordship over Andorra. The current bishop is Ponç de Vilamur, since 1230. The previous bishop was Pere de Puigvert (1203-1230). Before 1095, Andorra (as a nation) had no formal military protection. The Count of Urgell had intention of taking (or reclaiming) the Andorran valleys by military force. The council at La Vella petitioned the bishop for help, and the bishop formed a treaty with the Count of Foix (the other claimant of lordship) that discouraged the oher count. But since then they have had nothing but disagreement and dispute, all the while the people of Andorra continue about their affairs and govern themselves.
As for the Code of Hermes, well...
The loophole of leaving no witnesses has worked before. Trentus (El Piroman) used that defense successfully when facing charges at the Iberian Tribunal of 1186. But I doubt that will work here. The bishop is sure to send someone to investigate the disappearance of his men, especially if any one of them happens to be important somehow. We don't know. And I am sure Solomon would frown on the idea. :imp:
After all, without a formal Tribunal, Solomon is the Law :wink:
Armando is probably trying to intimidate them, but he does have a fire going under a kettle. Will take a while though.

[color=red]"The gentleman has sought sanctuary with us, and we will grant it, until such time as we can determine exactly why the Bishop's men have seen fit to set their dogs upon him," Vibria says with purpose and determination. [color=red]"I suspect that this may be related to the ongoing tensions between our beloved Counts, and the Oath I have sworn prohibits interfering with their affairs.

"We have only these men's claims that they represent the Bishop of Urgell. If they do, they surely have a warrant to that effect. I will speak with them and let them know that. If you and your men would stand by in case the 'bishop's men'" (and one can almost hear the air quotes around the last words) [color=red]"should not see reason, that would be greatly appreciated."

She then goes down to the gate, helm in one hand and the other hand resting on the hilt of her sword, and nods to one of the gatekeepers to open the gate. She strides confidently out to the bishop's men, sparing them barely a glance as she approaches whoever looks to be "in charge."

[color=red]"I am Vibria, the Marshal of Andorra. What brings you to our gates?" she says, trying to keep her tone cool yet civil.

Antoine looks about for someone who seems to a) have some official standing; b) not be terrifying (i.e., no obvious Gift); and c) speak his language. That mostly leaves him with Fleur, who is of course naked. He tries to put that to one side.

Mi... Mi.. mistress? he manages, attempting to catch Fleur's attention while looking... elsewhere. Anywhere else. Th... th.. these men... ... w... will tell... y... you... lllllllllll.... lllll... lies about... about... me. Th.. th... they will nn...not ssss...say the real reason I ... ... ... am h... h...hunted. They mmm... m... may not know! Bu...B...But the reason is d... is d... dangerous, and I m... m... must not disclose it l.... it ... lightly. Who lll.... leads you? Who can g.... g... give me protection?

((Like many stutterers, Antoine finds it easier when he's in flow))

(taking over the dogmen. if anyone wants to take over in a later post, no problem)

The man looks with suspicious eyes at the maga. He does not seem to give a woman much credit as a Marshall, specially one that has such obvious attributes to be a bed companion (he certainly notices them). Still, he looks at the people around her and seems to think twice before remarking such things when he is outnumbered 3 to 1 by armed men.

good night my lady. We come here pursuing a spy and thief that has been found to have acted against our master, the bishop of Urgell. He used to work for our master, so he is a traitor. Hand him over and we will deal with him. This is no concern of yours. I am sure the bishop will appreciate your collaboration and make sure to reward you for handing over this traitorous sinner.