The Contested Isle: Hibernian Tribunal Table of Contents!

For what it's worth, this is in my Amazon wishlist and I check every few days to see if it's ready.

-Albert

Ladies and gentlemen: blog.atlas-games.com/2013/09/hib ... -here.html

You know what is sweet? Tomorrow is my birthday. It's a big one, a mile stone. It is so cool that this book is coming out right around my birthday.

Before it lands, I'd like to thank my co-authors, Mr. Lawford, Mr. Shirley, and Mr. Romer, our editor, Mr. Chart, and the many playtesters who helped mold this tribunal. Every moment spent on this project was a gift, and participating in it was a dream come true. I remember visiting Ireland in 2001, standing on the cove where I would later put one of the tribunal's covenants, and thinking, "It would be cool if I could write the Hibernia Tribunal book."

Well, I wrote it with three great mates and a ton of guidance from David. As the only participant from the States, I'm happy that I've had the chance to meet, eat with, and befriend all four of the just mentioned fellows. I'm extremely grateful for this experience.

I truly hope you all find this an enjoyable book and a dynamic, fun tribunal. And if you have any questions, just ask Mark. :smiley:

Matt Ryan

You know, I had a blast on this book.

I'll no doubt say more (try stopping me) once the book is actually in the hands of those it is meant for and who it really belongs to, but for now I will say that I'm very proud of the book, I'm very proud of what the writing and editing team have done, I'll no doubt be proud of what the art team have done, and I'm very proud to have done it with some very esteemed friends and colleagues.

Ahead of this year's Grand Tribunal UK, I thought I'd better pull some notes together about the book and it's development as we were formally allowed to talk about it. I will share line one of those notes:

"Matt Ryan was the driving force behind the book"

It's as true now as it was then. All five of us (I include the invaluable and too-often unsung David Chart, of course) put our own stamp on things (more later, I promise), but there was a definite heart and soul to the book. I hope, I think, we've done the old fella proud (I say old, I've met him and he's thirty if a day. A very tall thirty, but thirty nonetheless. I'm sure of it).

I'll evangelize about this book until the cows come home (although if they're Hibernian cows then they've probably been raided by now), and as much for the book itself my enthusiasm goes equally to the team behind it.

I can't wait to read it all over again.

Wohoo!
And where is that blasted mailman?

I heartily agree with this sentiment. Matt deserves kudos (and any/all blame!) for bringing us to this point. It was an honour to be involved in a book that Matt considered very much his baby, and I hope we did it justice.
It was great fun to write. Although this is true of many Ars projects with which I have been involved (and where it has not been true it has never been because of my co-authors), with Hibernia it was a blast because I felt we were covering the oldest tribunal since it was the first to have details published, scanty as they were, way back in 2nd edition. I also suspect that this is a much-anticipated book because of its antiquity, and I hope it will surprise and delight.

One of the best bits of any project for me is re-reading the book. There is a strange alchemy going on between final manuscript and published book that makes it exciting to read.

Mark

It was definitely Matt's baby and I was proud to be part of it. He put together a great team (and me!) and we had a great deal of fun writing this book. I'm really really excited about finally seeing a copy, and hope others enjoy it as much as we did.

cj x

Is this in stores yet? I know my copies are on their way, just interested in whether it has been spotted yet.

Amazon emailed me today that it has shipped.

I got notification today that mine cleared customs! :slight_smile: Based on past experience, I expect to see it sometime next week probably thursday or friday (for some reason I never seem to get parcels any other days)

Same here. Expected on Monday for me

5th word in first column of p. 109 is 'traverse'.

RELEASE THE DOGS OF WAR!!!

It's been 7.5 hours with nary a howl.

This is not a vanilla tribunal.

And I think the title 'Contested Isle' fits rather well.

I don't think 5th edition has seen a vanilla Tribunal.

I think my copy arrived but I missed the postman so need to go collect it tomorrow. Of course as an author I know what is in the book, and now someone has a copy, I feel is safe in revealing that a) it is about Ireland b) it has magi in it and c) I personally loathe vanilla, at least as far as icecream goes. Oh OK, and that it contains some rather different Irish saints, and a lot on them, and a chapter on the Divine, The Magical, the Infernal and Faeries in Hibernia. I did the Divine one! The book covers Ireland by Province - Leinster, Connacht, Munster, Meath and Ulster, and there is an absolutely huge plot twist regarding something in the book, which may have caused Tellus to expire in shock hence the silence. It's not quite as radical as my Gaer Hill Letter, but it's not what you will be expecting, and involves Hermetic History. If you spot it, please use spoiler covers or something when discussing it here, as I think it best foreign magi learn it in play...

cj x

Oh and the best quote from one of my playtesters "The Hibernia Tribunal: it was Ars Magica, with everything turned up to eleven". That was Kevin Sides, aka Janus on the early playtest I ran.

cj x

Also, this book is Matt Ryan's baby. If you like it, feel free to send gifts of vis and apprentices to me: if you loathe it, then head off to put Matt in the wicker man, and ignore Mark S, Mark L, and me! I personally adored working on this book and am confident you will want to send me your first born daughters and finest summae though!

CJ, if you don't mind, could you further expound upon what sections were written by whom? The credits file didn't say... :frowning: