The council chamber

accounting for 1140:
beginning balance: 80 tonnes silver
income:7 3/4 tonnes silver
expense:1/6 tonne silver
ending balance: 87 1/3 tonnes silver
charity donation: 1/5 Tonne silver
final balance:87 1/7 tonnes silver

Anna calls an "emergency" meeting of the council due to Markus lacking a longevity ritual. He could die at any moment! "It has come to my attention that Markus our extremely knowledgeable magic theory instructor lacks a longevity ritual, despite his extreme value to the covenant and advanced age. I sadly lack the required 14 vis needed to rectify this situation. Therefore I am requesting 14 vis to fix this of the forms creo, vim or corpus." she has a motion written up that authorizes her to create a longevity ritual in summer using the covenant's vis. Anna votes in favor. Astute readers will note she's only volunteering her time and Fang's time. Her apprentice will presumably continue to benefit from her library access.

Gloriana "Oh dear sister! Your sweetness and foresight are immeasurable and help us steer this Council to a wise stewardship of our resources! I agree that Markus's service and knowledge are to be preserved. But has he requested this great boon? It pains me to know that he was at death's door, and I none the wiser. And how will this impact our vis stores?" (concerned now that she's expecting to trade Vim for Co/Creo in 1141 and also a few years later for her LR experiments)

Andros " Hmm, well, of course, if you are volunteering for this task, that seems reasonable. And the old chap has taught several generations, solid fellow; as long as he stays at the job for a few more decades. Still, we are all of us mortal, and our reward awaits us on the other side. What does Markus say, let him voice this unequivocally!

Danaë: Old Markus has been patient with this troublemaker once or twice! laughs He ever gonna retire, have a family? Sure the coven folk will take this the right way, and if not, we can always talk about it. If we are ever short of vis, we can always bargain with the Mercere, I know a couple of people, sure we can obtain a good deal!

Marcus would be most grateful for a longevity ritual, as this might allow him to master illumination and write several books of the highest quality.

After his usual note-scribbling on a wax tablet, mumbling to himself, Olivierius will speak up his vote. "Markus has proven himself time and again as a great resource for this covenant, its apprentices, crafters, and scholars. Your volunteering to fulfill this is also exemplary. Of course, I would not want to push such an action upon the scholar; many individuals in the world would consider such a gift against their desires, whether through religious guidance, or their desire to have a family, or other such needs. Providing he is amenable to the action, I would vote in favor of a longevity ritual for his continued exemplary service." As already mentioned, Marcus seems eager, so Oliverius approves whole-heartedly.

Our beloved Marcus without a LR? No way! Aurthor and Arduino approve without esitation.

Anna has the answer, she checked the levels before asking! "We have over a queen of vim, corpus and creo. We also have a truly worrying amount of vis of account. We could easily get the vis from the Mercer House and probably a bunch more on top of that."

winter 1141 Fausto (captain of the first shield company) has an aging crisis requiring either a Sta roll of 6+ or a CrCo ritual of 25

Looking at Fausto, he has 5 Sta. With good care he can only fail if he botches, right? In any case, Gloriana has Tricking the Reaper [CrCo 25, ritual, +82] Mastery 1 (Stalwart Casting), and the Praesidium would need to put up 2 Co or Creo pawns.

or rolls a zero and doesn't botch.

But if Fausto has good care (somebody with Medicine), doesn't the caregiver add his/her Medicine to the Sta roll? Meaning that with just a +1 from that caregiver, Fausto, in theory, would only fail with a botch (don't know if the doctor can botch the Int + Medicine roll vs 6, it might be simple rather than stress)

Andros will ask Oliverius for those Verditius references for Items of Quality: this is for his commissioned armor, helmet, and greatsword.

um... yes, that is true. And Benedito has a medicine ability of 10... so unless Benidito botches (resulting in a -3 on the roll to survive the crisis) or Fausto botches, success is assured.

Mathematically, I think we're more likely to botch the healing ritual than they are to botch the natural survival. :wink:

Oliverius will give Andros a selection of names that he knows of, while pointedly not mentioning his rival if they are an option. He will even offer to write an introduction letter, because Andros has done good work. He will also mention to Andros, that if there's anything threatening the covenant, he is welcome to request a loan of his lonely warhammer, even if Oliverius isn't going on that specific adventure.

Andros gravely thanks the crafter magus, he is honored by the offer. He will get one of the scribes to pen a letter to whoever's the likeliest subject. In game terms, how much does this cost and how long will it take, silveroak? Items of quality take 1 Season each to "awaken" + 1 Vim pawn. Andros has 3 items : Helmet (awaken +6 affect wearer's sight), Greatsword (awaken +4 harm human or animal bodies), armor (awaken +7 Protect wearer). This seems like apprentice work, but one versed in the Verditius Mysteries to some extent.

It is verdituous, and requires initiation into the mystery. As such it is not exactly common, and the prices are fixed at 3 paws per item. You can get them all within 2 years, a year and a half if you tip the redcap well...

Andros has little concept of money, has not really been concerned with it for scores of years, so if it's pointed to him that he should tip the Redcap, he will direct Lucio to do so. He is in no hurry to receive these items, it will take him a while to get to enchant them, anyway.
He needs to pay 12 specific pawns? Or can he pay, say, in 12 Te pawns?

at least 1/3 will need to be in vim or vis of account.

Very well, Andros will pay 4 Vim vis and 8 Te vis, he has no vis of account. He'll have to do plenty of vis hunts to find more.