The council chamber

1108 Autocrat’s report
Income has continued to rise, with cotton netting 839 ½ pounds of silver, salt is generating 440 2/3 pounds of silver. There were 327 pounds of silver in covenant expenses this year, in detail:
buildings : 0
consumables : 0
labratories : 3 1/2
provisions : 0
wages : 41 3/5
weapons and armor : 1 1/5
writing materials : 4
taxes : 276 5/7
Our apprentice scribe has graduated and will be visiting Harco, also meaning we do not have the vis income from his apprenticeship task of copying tractatus. The education level of the covenant has risen to where having someone do this would be a trivial job, we can apprentice further scribes to increase our ability to copy and finish books, or we can sell the cow and calf rights to Harco for a lump sum.
As our prestige rises I expect our cost structures to change in the next couple of years, and as is clear from my report we are falling behind, albeit in small quantities, in our ability to produce materials for writing. Certainly the costs as they currently stand are manageable, and Abdul has completed his apprenticeship as an inkmaker, allowing us to assign a new apprentice to the shop.

((OOC - Greetings all. We have an immense amount of vis in stores. Was there an agreement on how to disburse it? All magi should get some amount of vis each year, not have to come to the Council to beg, unless it's extra. At the very least, we should institute some sort of yearly salary from 1109 on.
silveroak correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Redcaps get very favorable treatment in vis exchanges with House Mercere? Danaë being a Redcap in good standing (for now!), and a Mythic hero, despite her Infamous Master, should be able to exchange small amounts of vis we don't need (Aquam!) for other types (if she can do this, she might charge some small amount of vis, I have no idea what's fair).
Taurus was distilling the aura for Vim vis, and what he does with his time is none of my business, but the truth is he needn't have, if we distributed vis annually in an equitable manner (and milking the aura is also risky for everybody)).

Andros addresses his sodales, beaming with pride,
"My efforts, and Aurthor's great skills, as well, as I must admit, the Mercere lass's, have borne fruit ripe for the picking. Tribunal was exciting, phenomenally so! We were encircled by sharks, and yet we gracefully braved those waters many times. It was clear that we here at Praesidium Orae are doing many things right, we were the talk of Tribunal, and not just for those unfortunate events so many years ago!" (referring to Infamous Hook) " It would not surprise me if others were soon to imitate our happy society, with the teaching of the unwashed masses as its lofty goal. Furthermore. I have obtained materials of special significance and Resonance for our expert binder to use in a number of Corpus tractati I aim to write very soon. There may be enough material for one more. I know some of you will appreciate those efforts. Our library will soon be the source of much talk in Italy, nay, in the Theban Tribunal and beyond." "I have ventured forth and have made the town of Siderno our second home, their barley festival in the Fall is growing apace, they welcome us with open arms..." (Andros is prone to bloviate and wax poetically and paternalistically, although with 2 Comm, he's very personable) "Now, I soon intend to write many tractati, and I hereby declare my intention to use the unused Teaching Lab that is shamefully gathering dust, to study my Latin and Teaching with our excellent Markus, specifically in Spring 1110 and 1111. I am not claiming the Lab, simply giving it some use."
Oh, one last thing! The Pazzino fellow, he's a keeper, lawyering's no job for a magus."

((OOC Ok, we still have some unadressed issues:
1)vis salary - we need to establish this, a reasonable 3-4 pawns /year/magus, including Danaë, and by 1115 and 1116, Anna and Camilla. We harvest 66/year currently
2)LRs for Companions/important covenfolk. We should discuss this to some extent given the Tonic of Gold theriac maker's request. We could actually farm this out, or task at least one season of a capable apprentice for this, if no Magi wants to waste their time in such efforts. We have Co experts, we have Co books.
3)Speaking of which, will have 1 extra resonant material to bind a book, are Evandrus's tractati bound? They are Q12, and this could push one of them to 15 or 16Q, right?
4)Are there specific rewards for Tribunal, silveroak?
5)Andros is pretty enthusiastic about the library, is the ghost librarian already established there? He will happily discuss away the hours with his plans.
6)silveroak, Danaë derives payment from the Mercere for her seasons of work, about 1 Mythic Pound/season from covenants she visits + 2 pawns of vis/season from the house? is this right? To write this down somewhere in her sheet.))

1. no specific rewards, but I will allow you to use tribunals to put a notch on the infamous hook
  2. the ghost librarian is established, he is considered a PC companion, so not under my control.
  3. income for a redcap is traditionally 2 pawns/year, not season, and 3 shillings a covenant which comes to a pound of silver per year.

Ok, thanks!

"What plans did you wish to discuss, Magi?" Leaf asks, looking up from the page he was copying "As of now, I've just been copying the more worn looking books. I've been meaning to discuss with the Council what needs doing most, but somehow it keeps slipping my mind."

In 1110 3 people have requested teaching from Marcus in 3 seasons, however we can only command 2 of his seasons for labor, which means one of these requests should be directed to Prosperina who is also an instructor, though admittedly of lesser ability, or 2 must share instruction in the same season under Marcus.

Danaë is the johnny-come-lately, she will not study under Markus this year, she will study Charm under the new Siderno teacher in the [strike]Fall[/strike] Summer.

*edited, thought mistakenly that Prosperina was also taking Latin in Spring. Also, class is in Summer, not Fall.

Well -Leaf is it?- everything! For the present, how are we with scribal help/illuminators/binders? And security, both against theft and pest and fire control? We dare not fall behind. In the next few years I myself plan on adding quite a few volumes to this library, and it'll involve quite the exciting adventures to seek materials with Resonance. Do you know what Resonance is? There was this Verditius fellow I met at Tribunal, in Magvillus, he quite convinced me that such a thing was essential! I mean for this library to earn the capital "L". We must make plans to expand the rooms, perhaps make an Edifice? Quite magnificent the image in my mind's eye! Our esteemed sodales Taurus is a Terram expert, perhaps a great tower can be fashioned? We have even the cooks and soldiers contributing books, what a remarkable feat!" Andros happily chats about many grandiose visions for the covenant's library, we'll see which ones actually come true.

Ouragon would like to learn bow in 1110, would Daenae mind sharing a class with him so they don't need to take up all of his training time for grogs for the year?

(OOC Not at all! She will ditch class at the first mention of adventures (like in 1109) and if she misses more than 1 month she would probably take her xps from such adventures, this is no big deal.
Did not know Ouragan was into bows, what with his mastered Bolt of Flame and all, peculiar fellow.)

It's a new thing with him- the nice thing about bows is how well they penetrate parma magica

1109 Autocrat’s report: This has been a good year, with income rising to 1544 lbs of silver and costs reaching only 327 6/7 lbs of silver, leaving our reserves at 4762 3/5 lbs of silver. Expenses are detailed below.
buildings : 0
consumables : 0
labratories : 3 1/2
provisions : 0
wages : 41 2/5
weapons and armor : 1 1/5
writing materials : 5
taxes : 276 5/7
I believe many of these expenses may rise next year as our covenant seems to be progressing to a more prestigious position which will require additional resources to maintain (in game terms it is becoming a summer covenant). Additionally next year Pelligino will be working full time as an herbalist instead of as a huntswoman, increasing our income in vis but increasing our expenses in providing for food. The turb is also creating a new unit of shield grogs which will be understrength at first as they train more guardsmen to join into the ranks and gain some seasoning for the commander.

In 1111 both Andros and Danae are scheduling spring lessons with Marcos

D'oh! Can't even keep my own characters straight! Fixed.

Evandrus has a proposal at the next council meeting. "Friends and compatriots, I have invented a spell that improves general health of a person. My Circle of Stamina. As magi we benefit from this even more so due to the strain casting places on the body. We'd be more able to cast spells. Only those at the peak of health wouldn't benefit from this. If my calculations are correct, I myself should be able to benefit from three castings. Of course, there is always some room for uncertainty when performing measurements on the human body, so I'd like to undergo five. Now obviously, spending three rooks of vis for my benefit alone would be absurd, but I called it a Circle for a reason. Everyone standing within the circle I trace when I draw it can benefit. It shouldn't be difficult to get myself, Camilla and all the other magi with a single casting. We do have enough vis for five castings. Far more actually, if we wish it. The spell is designed just for Camilla and I so anyone else would suffer a little warping. Obviously, if anyone doesn't want their spot, for one or more of the castings, they could give it to someone else. Their apprentice perhaps. Although I suppose I could try to include the apprentices too... so what say you all?

OOC: I assumed that the Order has some way of roughly estimating stats. Especially physical ones. Of course, people have a tendency to lie to themselves just a little. Evan would benefit from five looking at his character sheet.

If there is leftover room we could include some of the turb. Jullienne doesn't think there would be significant benefit to craftsmen, though if you invent a version which affects dexterity...

(OOC: How many people can fit into this circle before you have to account for a +1 to size, less than 10?)

Andros chimes in: "Well done, splendid fellow! You do your sodales proud. Praesidium Orae's in the Hermetic map to stay, without a doubt! Ahh, to have the stamina of youth, nay, of a hero! As long as we have enough Corpus vis for emergencies, this seems like an excellent use of resources.
You said, how many rooks?

We have found a Noble ally, to allay the Quaesitors persistent suspicions. An enchanting lady, Agniezka of Savona, and now of Siderno. We have that town locked down tightly now, Sylvanian can go suck an egg. Do you know Lady Agniezka was once apprenticed to a Bonisagus magus of ill-repute? This cad brazenly destroyed her precious Gift, quite a sad and tragic tale. Whole covenant went down the offal pit after that. But, on the other hand, she's quite the old hand at Lab research, and is amenable to aiding in projects every once in a while. (Lady Agniezka is a Failed Apprentice, currently with a +9 to help in Labs, and by 1111 will be at +10, though normally will do this only once a year. She's a Companion with mostly social skills)

OOC-silveroak, what resources where found in Siderno in 1110? Andros needs to brag about them! :wink:

We have found a genuine treasure in Siderno, my sodales! An ancient wreck on the coast, quite untouched. Aboard: two strange mechanical devices, and a great amount of ancient silver coinage!

the circle can be enlarged depending on your concentration, at 1 round (10 paces circumference) gives a diameter of roughly 3 paces or 90 inches, which is 7.5 ft. each additional round extends this diameter by 7.5 ft, 5 people per square meter is the upper limit for standing room (which means packing people in for a casting) in one round this is 4.6 sq meters, or 23 people. In 2 rounds it would be 18.4 sq meters or 92 people...

In Siderno this year you find two of Heron's devices- a thunder maker and a fire quencher (15 BP) on an ancient shipwreck along with 200 lbs of silver (20 BP)