The council chamber

...working thunder maker and fire quencher? :open_mouth:

Looks like all roads point to learning Ancient Greek! Would obtaining the books of Heron's Mechanica, or any other of the things required to gain Insight from all the other stuff found be Questsā„¢?

Anything which actually exists (which presumably includes Heron's books, with a low probability that the books have all been destroyed, but you would still find something...) can be found by quest.

and yes, they are both functional.

This was a major year, mostly focusing on upgrading the covenant, rearranging some building use, in order to optimize our covenant for the greater level of prestige and accomplishment that it has developed. Costs increased dramatically, and our unskilled labor force was let go to settle in Siderno. Many of our established craftspeople are going to be unprofitable, but given the combination of useful abilities they have developed which contribute to off covenant activities I have decided that these areas should be allowed to with through lack of apprentices rather than being fired directly, or our dealings will have to be rearranged to make them more profitable. An exception to this is our cooks, who are developing rather high levels of skill and whose talents can increase the longevity of some of our older residents even though they are operating at a net loss. We will continue to supply assistants and apprentices in order to generate the high quality fare which provides our covenant with its reputation for good health.
Income for the year was at 1937 3/5 pounds of silver, including the windfall from the Siderno shipwreck. Expenses totaled 463 8/9 pounds, including the costs of renovating the covenant, which also depleted the work reserves of our masons, carpenters, and furniture makers. Expenses are detailed below:
buildings : 8 2/5
consumables : 27 2/7
labratories : 3 1/2
provisions : 17 1/2
wages : 80 4/5
weapons and armor : 1 1/5
writing materials : 4
taxes : 276 5/7
The widespread education of so many of our grogs has resulted in many youth having picked up some Latin by the age of 5, which bodes well for the future of the covenantā€™s educational system.

OOC What does this mean? Who is being let go? What trades is Julien suggesting we discontinue with his "early retirement, no apprentice policy"? Is it just a matter of lack of living space? Don't know if we should be so eager to be rid of highly skilled craftsmen, unless we are investing in their new shops. And how are the firees taking the news? If these people are being booted into misery, Andros will disagree vehemently, even if it is a sound decision. We are wealthy, by gum!

I know this is background stuff, but I am curious as to its consequences if any.

About the fortress: is Siderno the only town nearby? Has Locri never been reestablished, either purposefully or through lack of interest, since Praesidium came into the picture? Are the buildings of the abandoned town totally decayed, or is there people living there? Think I asked this before: are there docks?

Danaƫ smiles "It is something the Mercere do also, to help us approach the Heroic stature of the great Names of old. I will undergo this warping but twice, ceding my place to others in the turb in hopes that this will awaken their inner Heroic natures. Evandrus, is this something that you wish to be known in Hermetic circles, a service that you might provide to interested parties, for the right price? I can couch such an offer in the terms that you dictate, both to the Mercer House, and through my Redcap duties."

OOC Danaƫ has +3 Sta, so only 2 castings will take her to the max. She has to avoid Warping like the plague, as at 5 and 15 she'll pick up a Minor flaw, and at 75 a Major one, uff

"The issue is that these crafts simply cannot be profitable given what it costs, under our new conditions, to maintain the workmen. The only people who have been let go are unskilled workmen, as capable of finding work in Siderno or anywhere else, they previously cost a pound to sustain, and saved us a pound and a tenth in expenses. They now cost 2 pounds to sustain and still provide but a pound in savings.
As the the skilled workmen, they fall into two categories, the common workmen save us anywhere from 3 and a half to 4 pounds a piece typically. To save more than this requires they be of exceptional ability, and between them and the servants who tend to their needs they cost 4 4/5 pounds apiece. These have not been fired, as I said many of them bring additional benefits to the covenant, but I plan not to invest future apprentices to their crafts, as well as selling what products of their craft as we may to help contain expenses.
Elite craftsmen cost us the same to maintain as common craftsmen, but the savings range from 4 to 7 pounds a year apiece, and it is my intention to direct more apprentices to these crafts. Additionally those who produce goods for the covenant that cannot be measured in silver- our scribes, illuminators, bookbinders, and herbalists will not be interfered with and will likely receive more apprentices.

redcap report: news from outside (1110):
Henry V has invaded Italy to press the issue of papal versus secular investure of clergy. He has met with Paschal II and come to a tentative arrangement by which Henry would cede the right of investure for clergy but gain the crown of Christiandom in return, the execution of such treaty is to occur next year.
Roger Borsa, Duke of Apulia and Calabria has fallen ill, where his son William II is expected to succeed him. (game note: Calabria is the ā€œtoeā€ of Italy, and includes the covenant within its area. It is currently co-ruled by Roger II under the regency of his mother Adelaide del Vasto.

Goodbye Roger, hello Roger!

Evan thinks before replying I think I'd like to wait to advertise until I've translated out a copy of the spell text. I'm not sure if I want to get into routine ritual spells for vis. There is some risk, even if its small. Of course, its no trouble when its to benefit the Covenant, but we seem to have plenty of vis. However, I do want to make a name for myself. What if... what if we let House Mercere have half the spots when I cast on the other magi, if they're willing to fund it. We'd need to have people stand real close, but we could probably get all the magi, all our apprentices, and an equal number of Mercere Magi. Redcaps get around so I figure that would be a good way to get my name out.

1111, Last day of Summer
Evandrus gets everyone he can find together for an "emergency" meeting, which probably includes at least Aegis, Camilla, Clawball, and maybe some other (unhappy) random covenfolk. Evandrus is clutching a bunch of lab notes "I have a breakthrough! Almost. I need to stabilize it! But I'm three vis short. You have to lend me three vis. This will be huge. HUGE! I'll write out the results in a lab text for the covenant, and pay it back at the first opportunity. I found it when working with Pazzino on his longevity ritual. Wait, doesn't he have vis? I thought he had a whole rook. And it only took six for his potion... so maybe... Look, I just brought us a vis source that gives that much every year. You have to give me the vis." Evandrus is seemingly manic.

Ouragon raises his voice "We have raised the question of a vis salary many times as some of us have pursued familiars, research, and other opportunities beyond defending the covenant and making longevity potions. What say we establish this now, say every even year we are each entitled to 1 pawn of creo vis, 1 pawn intelligo, 1 pawn perdo, 1 pawn rego, 1 pawn corpus, 1 pawn herbem, and 1 pawn terram, with every odd year we are entitled to 1 pawn creo, 1 pawn muto, 1 pawn rego, 1 pawn aquum, 1 pawn corpus, and 1 pawn terram? Each of us would then be free to trade for the types we prefer, and be sure of getting a better deal amongst ourselves than from the redcaps."

Andros exclaims: Just what i have been saying all along, chaps! Ouragan, while I like your numbers, they seem a little too generous, do they not? There are two apprentices ready to Gauntlet in 4 and 5 years time, if they plan on staying around, that will come out to 49 every even year, and 42 every odd. A steep price, out of 64 when things go absolutely right. Did we not have a gaggle of thieves cheekily steal Auram pawns this very year?
What say we start with an initial disbursement, to compensate all the missing years, maybe Ā½ of our stocks in things other than Corpus and Vim, for those we can split a ā…“ of our remaining stocks, depending it seems on Evandrus's research successes and Circle of stamina opportunity. Then go through with your plan, until the young lady, Anna, our esteemed Aurthor's student becomes a member of the Order. Then we curb this salary, to perhaps 4 Pawns/year and give the Apprentices a beginning 3 pawns/year, after the older magi have chosen? After 10 years, we can review all disbursements and adjust as needed. This would keep our communal coffers well-stocked...in case of...unfortunate events. And of course, the Council can always be petitioned to fund different projects. I myself plan on binding a familiar in the next few years.

Julliene interjects "if you need a subject for your longevity ritual, I would suggest Gaston, Evandrus, or Nicola. The first two are getting advanced I years and we would like to preserve their abilities for training future generations. As to Nicola, she is a true wonder in the kitchen and will be difficult to replace even with the best training methods available."

OOC: You mean Erberto? Kinda hard to know he's getting on years, he is Unaging.
Camilla wouldn't mind experimenting on him, trying to recreate the Unaging virtue and LRs that don't leave one infertile.

"I think Andros probably has a good idea. But with one small modification, I get three corpus, or vim, or creo and give up my initial distribution?

OOC: I was assuming the entire "stabilizing the unknown" part didn't produce any results other than getting you Breakthrough Points, and you don't actually get a second longevity ritual out of it. Also on page 28 it says:

Hence the need for three more vis.

more signifigantly it states "your spell or enchantment is unaffected, being created in the previous season"
However Julliene is unaware of this.

Andros' distribution plan for vis will be approved.

Evandrus responds to Julliene "I appreciate the offer, but this part doesn't require a subject for the ritual. I will be sure to ask them in the future if I wish to attempt this again.

OOC: Derp,
Splitting up the vis like that Evan will get plenty for his ritual, so he's good.

OOC- To further clarify, and for convenience:
*Creo 90 pawns/2= 45, 9 for each Magus
*Intelligo 36 pawns/2 = 18, 3 for each Magus, reserves stay at 18+3=21
*Muto same as Int
*Perdo 57/2 = 28, 6/magus, reserves at 27
*Rego 69/2= 35, say 35, 7/magus, reserves at 34
*Aquam as Int
*Corpus 69/3 = 23, 4/magus, reserves stay at 49, will take numerous hits later with so much Corpus stuff going on
*He 40 Faerie/2= 20, 4/magus, reserves 20
*Te Faerie as Int
*Vim 39/3= 13, 2/magus, reserves stay at 29

This keeps all our reserves at 20 or higher, and provides equal shares. If Evandrus truly will forgo his share for just a combination of 3 pawns of either Creo/Vim/Corpus, we can recalculate for equal shares between the four remaining Magi and any odd pawns get put back into the stocks. Then in 1112 we start with Ouragan's plan of distribution even/odd years. Then in 1115, when Anna Gauntlets, we can slow down to a mere 4 pawns/magus (Magus's choice, seniority rules, etc...with caveats of not everybody grabbing the same type of pawns, or multiples of the same kind, let's please cap it at distributing Ā½ or less of yearly production). Anna would start on a 3 pawn/year salary up until she's been a magus for 10 years, Camilla in the same situation 1 year later, and so on.

Hmm, I'm forgetting Danaƫ, but that's an odd situation, as she is considered a full Magus (maybe not behind her back) and she needs vis for Sihr, and eventually a Longevity Ritual (maybe when she's 40+). I'm thinking she could get the Apprentice treatment until 10 years in, as she is also recently Gauntleted, and only been part of Praesidium for a couple of years. This is up to the rest, never played a Mythic Mercere before. She is certainly willing to go to any and all adventures on behalf of the Covenant (Redcap duties may interfere), is building up very strong social skills, and she can also trade vis with the Redcaps for vis we don't have, at 1:1 rates. According to True Lineages anyway. We could fill up on vis we don't have: Animal, Auram, Ignem, Im, Me.

Does this seem reasonable? We can keep it somewhat fuzzy and speak up whenever there's something odd, troubling, or less than pleasing.

Except that there are technically 6 magi, since Danae should be considered equal, which means 7 Creo vis each, 3 Intelligo, 3 Muto, 4 perdo, 5 rego, 3 Aquum, 3 corpus, 3 Terram, and 2 vim each, plus 3 He and 3 Te of faesrie vis. Danae wasn't brought in on some kind of lesser membership was she?

I posted this as a question, as I wasn't sure, and after all, the other Magi have been at Presidium at least 10 years each, with no salary. Did not wish to ruffle any feathers!
She'll happily take the vis. She can exchange what she will not use for favors/magic items, etc.

Will put these pawns in each of Andros's and Danaƫ's pages in the wiki. Danaƫ will try and change her faerie He for faerie Ig, if such can be had. She will also be on the lookout for Warding and Sihr books, you never know when one might appear (yes, I know it's unlikely).

Damn, Gaston died (and Julien had just brought up the possibility of a LR for him!) Danaƫ will be grim for a few days, but she's an Optimist, glad to have studied with him. Andros will insist on a burial "with all the honors", whatever that means, he made a point to be close with the covenfolk, and specially the fighting men. Camilla sees the opportunity to learn some of her parens crisis-averting spells to hopefully garner some loyalty despite her Gift (and it will be Blatant, at that). Lady Agniezka will ask about his family, she didn't know him.

That's a big hole, the martial teacher. Need to do something about that.