The Covenant of Caepernum: Aeric exMiscellanea

I was offering information from core and a view. Thanks.

Hi!

You raise very valid concerns about the stats. In the end, I think that my "inner mutchkin" was possessing me, so I will somewhat reduce the extremes a little bit in order to make the stats look more like other published Magi. Just give me some time to figure it out.

But... I do not agree with some of your arguments.

The extreme values are +5 and -5. And the book makes an excellent job creating rarity for those extremes hidding them behind virtues and flaws. A grog can only have one characteristic at +5 at another at +4 in the most extreme case.

If we take into account the gaussian distribution, the +3/-3 range is the range within two standard deviations. This quote of the book pretty much confirms this:

+3 and -3 are not exceptional, just very good.
So if you buy my 2 standard deviation argument, in a class of 100 students, you probably would have one +5 or -5 Int student and up to four +4 or -4 Int students. Probably not, because it is unlike that the -5 student or the -4 students would be there, but that is another discussion about normality.

And the distribution probably would be around 40 students with 0, 30 students with +1/-1, 15 students with +2/-2 and 10 students with +3/-3 or so. So +3 is not rare, just good. If you check the qualifications, it is your student in the range 8-9. He is not a 10 (+5) and, depending on the distribution of the values, he probably does not have above a 9 either.

It is not me you have to disagree with. Houses of Hermes: Societates states about Jerbiton Magi:

It is assumed that the default intelligence of a magus is 3. If you have less, your parens probably had other reasons to take you as an apprentice (Faerie blood for Merinita, Lineage for House Mercere, Gentle gift for Jerbiton...). Training an apprentice is taxing. Why do it at all if you cannot get something good in return? Probably Magi don't consider training gifted children unless they are also intelligent. And if this does not happen and the apprentice shows other interesting advantages, I am sure they use magic to increase the intelligence.

What I wanted to argue is that probably you have put too much emphasis on "normality" in your saga. Also, Magus normality is not average. Magus normality is around 3 in Intelligence. And I think that makes sense that way. But we can agree to disagree about that.

Regarding the other things:

I think that that flaw could be disastrous for a PC but I think that I could be interesting in an NPC. It is not even a mutchkin decision, as I balanced that flaw with death prophecy, who gives almost no advantage for a project like this. In any case, if there is a lot animosity about that, I will change it, but that probably would need a complete concept overhaul.

And finally, about the Aegis you say:

But... Aegis gets a free pass:

Aegis and Parma Magica together are the reasons why Order of Hermes is so prevalent in Mythic Europe. There is no base or guidelines, it combines several spells in one, discards prerequisites and does a long list of "impossible" things. In my saga anything with level 20 or more is ok. You know, more than ever, "it's magic".

Thanks for the replies about the cross-Realm spell. The ghost spell seems to be the only similar example to what I wanted to do. I have checked for errata stating that only works with magical ghosts but I have not found it.

I think that has become clear that Realm discrimination is something strong in hermetic theory. I wouldn't want to propose spells that create controversy with rules. I want them to be as RAW as possible. So probably I will create versions to order Magical and Faerie Spirits. They will affect more creatures than just Jinni, but also I won't know which one to use in advance.

Also, It seems also that you would need multiple spells to detect the realm of a creature (one for each realm), as I haven't found any specific guideline to identify the realm of the creature. I have been thinking in a device to identify that by chaining InVi effects in the same creature.

I'll keep you posted.

Ah, how much do I hate Jerbiton magi! I'm going to stick to my Std. Dev. = 1 model, though a quick browse of the very corebook example magi stats agree with you regarding the Int +3 average. So, to wrap things up, I'd say +3/-3 values are, for me, quite rate, but indeed magi tend to be quite smart in RAW. Still we'll keep our "dumb-magi" approach with an average Int around 1.5: with time I have found that desigining such magi is quite fun. And anyway Int gets useful for magi mostly for lab totals, but the weight it have in that total ends being quite marginal once arts are high enough, labs get customized and all of that.

Regarding Dav'nalleous, please keep it: the whole concept of your magus spins around the prophecy / plagued combination. It's just that from a selfish point of view that will make your character something I won't be able to use in my saga. Not that Dav'nalleous won't appear, but if he does he will be something different than what appears in TTT (I'm half-way on a quite time consuming concept of rewriting Dav'nalleous as a simple Gruagach which just happens to be over 800 years old). But anyway surely your spells and items will be worthy enough, and some adaptation to fit other threaths than The Spider should be easy task.

And as for Aegis not having a defined baseline, I know the hand-waving explanation and all the unique features of the spell. I guess we should really keep our Base level > 0 away from there. Or, now that I think of it, we can just assume that the base already includes the extended parameters, which would explain why these parameters can't be tweaked (whenever I think of that spell I guess Notatus got a nasty lot of good side effects while inventing it), so a 20 level Aegis (which is going to be the lesser possible anyway, being it a Ritual) would have a positive base, if it were having one anyway.

It's designed as (Base 10 + 4 Vi representing each of the realms; +11 for penetration) - it has the penetration due to being in casting tablet form when being found. That it's +4 for every Realm rather than +3 for extra ones is slightly odd, and there doesn't seem to be an erratum.

There's also this line in Apprentices - I think there genuinely is a positive correlation between possession of the Gift and Intelligence:

I have adjusted the scores to make them a little bit less extreme. Only one +3 and one -3.

Ok, finally these will be the spells that Aeric will develop regarding spirits, now that is is clear that hermetic magic is limited by realms. These could be used to order genie around if their realm allegiance is properly identified:

And the Faerie version:

In both cases, the guideline used is the following:

In order to identify the realm of the creature, you would need several spells like this:

The guideline is described in ArM 158 but not written. It should be "Detect any magical creature".

Now some new spells regarding coounterspelling.

I wanted a swiss knife of counterspelling. A spell that could be used to counterspell anything in the moment of casting. Perdo Vim guidelines allow that, but at the cost of reduced potency. Higher level spells probably won't be affected by this spell. The guideline that I used to create this two similar spells is:

And the spells are:

This is the base version, designed to counterspell a single spell.

The problem is that when the hermetic arms race of mastered spells develops, Magi start throwing several spells with a single action while each counterspell requires a six-point reduction in your initiative. That is a war that you cannot win. So Aeric developed this elegant solution to counterspell a group of spell multicasted in the same action:

In order to make Affinity with Creo less prevalent in this group, I have changed Aeric's affinity with Creo for Perdo, and made lesser adjustments in the initial spells and some specialization to reflect that. This should give us more variety in the new spells and effects invented.

If you like Aeric better that way that's fine, well done. But I didn't see the commonness of Affiity with creo to be problem.

Yeah, I know. I understood the first time. But if this is an exercise to create NPCs that perhaps others will use, a little bit of variety will improve the result.

Also, other things were central to the concept, but that particular affinity was there only in order to give some more versatility. Vim affinity is the one I cannot change, but the thing is that having Vim as your sole focus means that you don't have any way to deal with non-supernatural things. Thus, a secondary focus in a technique opens a whole world of other effects while allowing for a powerful combination with Vim.

Perdo (dispelling) or Muto (metamagics) were the obvious choices for a Pralixian (I don't like Rego because I very much like Rego, so I would finish having a bunch of spells that I have already worked into other NPCs), so I chose Creo because was suboptimal (Creo Vim is not especially enticing) and I thought that I could develop some interesting side-tools with it.

But, as I said, I think that almost any technique (excluding Intellego, because I find hard dealing with problems by just knowing) can work fine, Perdo included. So I don't see any problem with this change.

First 15 years of Aeric exMiscellanea. The actual character sheet to come later.

12 years devoted to study/practice/adventures (around 4 for abilities and 8 for arts).
3 years devoted to lab work, including the design and implementation of a complex labyrinth/insect-trap laboratory.
(I have not ordered them, but I am sure that can be done without problem)

Abilities 140px
Magic Theory 3>5 45px
Arabian 1>3 25 px
Parma Magica 1>2 10px
Finesse 1>2 10 px
Penetration 1>2 10px
Comprehend Magic 1>2 10 px
Theology: Muslim 0>1 5px
Mastery: Demon’s Eternal Oblivion 1>2 5px(x2)
Mastery: Dreadful Bane of the Fae 1>2 5px(x2)
Mastery: Sapping the Griffin’s Might 1>2 5px(x2)
Mastery: The Lesser Enigma’s Gift 1>2 5px(x2)
Mastery: Flash of Mundane Silence 1>2 5px (x2)

Arts 220px
Perdo 9>15 50px(+25)
Vim 13(1)>20 79px(+40)
Terram 4>5 5px
Corpus 0>8 36px
Muto 0>4(4) 14px
Creo 5>8 21px
Rego 0>5 15px

Seasons of Lab Work (3 years, 12 seasons)
Season 1 - Create the lab 1
Season 2 - Create the lab 2
Season 3 - Refine the Lab (+1 refinement, Highly Organised Gained)
Season 4 - Install Summoning Circle in the Lab (feature, +1 Vim)
Season 5: Invent Command the Spirits of Magic ReVi 20. Lab total: 5 Rego + 20 Vim + Int 3 + Magic Theory 6 + Aura 3 + Lab 5 = 42
Season 6: Invent Command the Spirits of Fae ReVi 20. Lab total: 5 Rego + 20 Vim + Int 3 + Magic Theory 6 + Aura 3 + Lab 5 = 42
Season 7: Longevity Ritual: 8 Creo + 8 Corpus + Int 3 + Magic Theory 5 + Aura 3 + Lab 1 = 28. That is a -6 modifier.
Season 8: Learn from lab texts: Pierce the Faerie Veil InVi20 + Scales of the Magical Weight InVi5 + Sense the Nature of Vis InVi5 + Sense Magical Power InVi 2. Lab total: 0 Intellego + 20 Vim + Int 3 + Magic Theory 6 + Aura 3 + Lab 4 = 36
Season 9: Learn from lab texts: Pierce the Magical Veil InVi20 + Pierce the Infernal Veil InVi20. Lab total: 0 Intellego + 20 Vim + Int 3 + Magic Theory 6 + Aura 3 + Lab 4 + Similar spell 4 = 40
Season 10 and 11: Invents Flash of Mundane Silence PeVi 30. Lab total: 15 Perdo + 20 Vim + Int 3 + Magic Theory 6 + Aura 3 + Lab 4 = 51 (-30 = 21 > 2 seasons)
Season 12: Invents Retribution over the Menacing Weapon PeTe 15. Lab total: 15 Perdo + 5 Terram + Int 3 + Magic Theory 5 + Aura 3 + Lab 1 = 32 (-15=17 > 1 season)

Aging rolls:
Roll: stress die + 4 age -1 spring covenant living conditions +1 lab health - 6 longevity ritual = stress die -2.
35: 2-2=0 No apparent age increase
36: 3-2=1 No apparent age increase
37: 5-2=3
38: 0-2=-2 No apparent age increase
39: 0-2=-2 No apparent age increase
40: 9-2=7

Aeric’s Lab
Aeric devoted an entire year to its design. It is a dedicated building with a labyrinthic design to keep people and (especially) vermin away. Airways are filled with traps for vermin. The core of the labyrinth features a summoning circle. That is the place in which Aeric often studies, after casting Circle of Beast Warding, of course.

Highly organized (free, +1 General quality) (free)
Feature: Summoning Circle (+1 aesthetics +1 Vim) (+1)
Dedicated building (free, +1 aesthetics, +1 upkeep, +1 Re) (free)
Laberynth (-1 safety, -1 health, -2 aesthetics, +2 Vim) (free)

Size 0, Refinement +1, General quality +1, Upkeep +1 Safety 0, Aestetics 0, Warping 0, Health -1.

Specializations: Re+1, Vim +3.

Aeric exMiscellanea v2.0 (gaunlet +15 years)
Characteristics: Int +3, Per +2, Pre -1, Com +1, Str -3, Sta +1, Dex 0, Qik +2
Size: 0
Age: 40 (36) (longevity ritual -6), Height: 167 cm, Weight: 58 kg, Gender: Male
Decrepitude: 0
Warping Score: 3 (total warping points 30)
Confidence Score: 1 (3)
Virtues and Flaws: The Gift (0); Hermetic Magus: House Miscellanea (0); Comprehend Magic (Major, free), Minor Magical Focus: Exotic Magic (Minor, free), Affinity with Vim (1), Affinity with Perdo (1), Death Prophecy: he will be killed by arachnids (3), Flawless Magic (3), Good Teacher (1), Puissant Finesse (1), Spirit Familiar (gained in twilight).
Weak Magic Resistance (Major, free), Driven: Make a name for himself (1), Infamous Master: Ineffective (1), Fear: Arachnids (1), Plagued by Supernatural Entity: Damhan-Allaidh (3), Twilight Prone (3), Unimaginative learner (1).
Personality Traits: Keen to Impress +2, Confident -1, Quiet +2, Fearful of Arachnids +3, Driven to prove himself +3.
Reputations: Ineffective Magus (hermetic) 3
Combat: Soak: +1; Fatigue Levels: OK, 0, –1, –3, –5, Unconscious; Wound Penalties: –1 (1–5), –3 (6–10), –5 (11– 15), Incapacitated (16–20), Dead (21+)
Abilities: Artes Liberales 2 (Ritual Magic), Awareness 2 (spotting arachnids), Comprehend Magic 2 (hermetic magic), Concentration 2 (spells), Dead Language: Latin 4 (hermetic use), Folk Ken 2 (warriors), Hunt (tracking) 2, Living Language: West Norse 5 (Danish), Living Language: Low German 3 (Saxon), Living Language: Arabic 3 (Levantine), Parma Magica 2 (Mentem), Finesse 2+2 (speed), Penetration 2 (Vim), Magic Lore 1 (magical traditions), Magic Theory 5 (Vim), Order of Hermes Lore 1(history), Survival 2 (snowy areas), Teaching 2 (Magi), Theology: Muslim 1 (the Qur’am)
Arts: Cr 8, In 0, Mu 4(4), Pe 15, Re 5; An 0, Aq 0, Au 0, Co 8, He 0, Ig0, Im2, Me 0, Te 5, Vi 20
Twilight Scars: All of Aeric’s hair became chalk white. Spirits are attracted to Aeric, tend to follow him and try to contact him (but this does not make hostile spirits friendly, the “contact” does not need to be pleasant).
Equipment: - Encumbrance: 0
Spells Known:
Aegis of the Hearth ReVi20/+30 - Mastery 1 (penetration)
Brief Cover of Protecting Stone CrTe10/+15 Mastery 1 (fast casting) Demon’s Eternal Oblivion PeVi10/+38 - Mastery 2 (multicasting, penetration)
Dreadful Bane of the Fae PeVi10/+38 - Mastery 2 (multicasting, penetration)
Circle of Beast Warding ReAn 5/+7 - Mastery 1 (penetration)
Command the Spirits of Magic ReVi20/+27 - Mastery 1 (penetration)
Command the Spirits of Fae ReVi20/+27 - Mastery 1 (penetration)
Flash of Mundane Silence PeVi30/+38 - Mastery 2 (fast casting, unravelling)
Pierce the Faerie Veil InVi 20/+22 - Mastery 1 (still casting)
Pierce the Infernal Veil InVi 20/+22 - Mastery 1 (still casting)
Pierce the Magical Veil InVi 20/+22 - Mastery 1 (still casting)
Pit of the Gaping Earth PeTe15/+22 Mastery 1 (fast casting)
Retribution over the Menacing Weapon (like Stone to Dust but Voice Range) PeTe15/+22 - Mastery 1 (fast casting)
Sapping the Griffin’s Might PeVi10/+38 - Mastery 2 (multicasting, penetration)
Scales of the Magical Weight InVi5/+22 - Mastery 1 (quiet casting)
Sense Magical Power InVi2/22 - Mastery 1 (quiet casting)
Sense the Nature of Vis InVi5/+22 - Mastery 1 (quiet casting)
The Lesser Enigma’s Gift CrVi 20 (it gives 2 points of warping instead of 4) CrVi20/+31 - Mastery 2 (multicasting, penetration)
Veil of Invisibility PeIm20/+19 Mastery 1 (still casting)
Appearance: a bearded white-haired middle-aged man dressed with humble robes. His skin has been darkened by the levantine sun and his face covered by freckles. His complexion is extremely thin and his presence unimposing.
Casting Sigil: Whiteness, it normally manifests as white light but that can manifest as the colour of object or as a brief perception of light.

Notes: Aeric used his first years in the Levant to study mainly the local language and his hermetic arts. He also designed and followed the construction of his lab according to strict specifications and used it to develop a longevity ritual and several new spells. His role for the covenant has been mainly studying and dealing with hostile local spirits known as Jinn, protecting the covenant with the Aegis of the Heart, fighting other supernatural threats, and acting as the treasurer of the covenant's vis reserves. Other than that, he has been preparing himself for when Eleutherius work cames to fruition. Also, in this years, Aeric has become mildly paranoic. He thinks (correctly) that something or somebody is spying him.

Twilights these years:

New spells (some of these were already posted):

The guideline for these previous two is "Control an Airy Spirit of a specific Realm. [RoP:M p.111]".

By the way, I have been checking ways of keep arachnids (or even animals) away from Aeric's Sanctum.

It seems that the best way of doing that is not with Perdo. I have been thinking about enchanting perhaps the inner core room of the sanctum with an effect based on this guideline:

PeAn 4 - Cause a beast pain, but do no real damage.

Increase to room target (level 10), infinite uses (level 20), and environmental trigger: when an animal is in the room +3 (level 23 in total).

This probably can be done more efficiently...

Circle of Beast Warding should be an easy fix for that

For a normal character would be enough, but for an anti-arachnid paranoid... I was thinking in something that could be created as a permanent magic item.

I'm not sure "when an animal is in the room" qualifies as an environmental trigger. How will the device know that?

But create a device with D:Sun, 2 uses/day, environmental trigger (sunrise/-set) and it's always on. Basic ward against mundane animals is easy. If Aeric is so paranoid he fears supernatural spiders as well he'll need to add Ward Against Beasts of Legend. But then it gets tricky, because how high Might creatures does he want to affect, and how much Penetration will he want?

Maybe Corvus could help him? He has a decent Animal score and a lab good for that, even though he is outside both his focus and potency.

I am aiming towards common vermin at the moment. If I create the Perdo example in a room with the duration that you suggest:

PeAn 4 to cause pain to all animals (or exclusively to arachnids) + 2 mag to affect Room + 2 mag duration (Sun) +3 enviromental trigger plus +1 for an additional use for a total of 29, that creates a room in which any animal that enters suffers pain. Or only animals that are present at sunrise and sundown suffer the full effect for a day or night?

What happens with warping? I understand that only the animals are affected, aren't they? So only animals gain warping in that room, but it is likely that they will avoid it due the pain. If a magus works in the room for a season (and it is not a bjornaer in heartbeast), he won't be considered under the effect of a continuous spell, will he? And if he is a Bjornaer but his parma protects him, he won't gain any warping.

I know that probably is easier just with a ward with Rego (base 1 or 2 I think).

Edit: I think that with a ward the warping applies because it is you who is warded against animals, not the room. While the Perdo options seems worse but only affects animals, and it does not give warping.

I like this answer from a recent thread:

In your case, I would simply make sure that my Sanctum/Lab is circular and use a Circle ward, which shouldn't apply warping to occupants.