The Covenant of Caepernum: Aurelia of House Jerbiton

Okay

So I feel like I need a stronger concept. One that is more Focused on the Jerbiton ”living a beautiful life” coupled with my want to interact with the Templars in a Mystery Cult fashion.

The feedback that I got from the first concept/idea – granted not too different from this one, was amongst other things, that she did not have Cabal Legacy as a flaw, that she was already initiated into Hermetic Numerology and that I might be doing too much to soon with the cult.

I have thus chosen to remove the Hermetic Numerology from the concept – I still respectfully disagree with the views on the calculations for Rotes, but I do take to heart the fact that the concept could be/should be more linear.

What I have chosen to do instead is that she will still be starting her own Mystery Cult, and it will still be about a sister-/brotherhood of Knights Templar Magi, but the focus will hopefully be more clear, as it is not about rotes anymore, but about perpetuating the ability to interact with the Divine/Dominion Auras as well as being a Jerbiton living beautifully within the realm of normal man/A knightly organisation

So, she will not start with any level in a Mystery Order ability, though she will have it as a puissant ability (I think that is arguably better storywise, as affinity is more about being a natural at it, while puissant is honing what will come)

She will also have some of the divine virtues such as Student of the Divine and Sense Holiness and Unholiness. Her spells will also have a ”holy flavour”, and the mystery cult will seek to add abilities with the divine, Powers and Methods etc.

Hopefully this creates a stronger concept.

What I could use some feedback on is a Minor Magical Focus... I would want one which is encompassing enough for some of the holy effects she wants to create, some that emulate the Mystery Cult she is trying to create. I was wondering if having a small cadre of spells that would be "signature spells" of the Mystery Cult could be a focus?

The problem I see with this is: Quite a few of them she would not have invented yet (Solution/argument for: A focus is a latent ability which can spring to life later). Also the concept of such a focus is very abstract. I mean...say one of the spells is giving a target a soak +3 (Corpus), while visually dressing him in a glowing platemail (Imaginem illusion), this is something which IMHO thematically would suit a mystery cult of a gnostic bent, but it would foci wise have nothing in common with another spell that creates a stained glass window of a saint (Terram or Imaginem) - but again it would flavourwise be on the right track.

Does it make sense? To have a "Spellbook of the Cult" with Signature spells which would constitute A Minor Magical Focus?

I think the limit is still Lab Total /5 even with a lab text. Look at the example p93 about Numera:

Hi,

I'm reordering some of your post, so that the parts of the conversation likely to be more useful to you come earlier.

(Reordering by paragraphs, not words or sentences, because that would be silly!)

Maybe, maybe not. I think it would be useful for you to come up with the most important ten spells that belong in this spellbook. At that point, we would all have something to go by, to decide whether the theme is a focus.

There is a good chance it isn't, and works more like a sigil or side effect! For example, if I have a theme of pandas, I probably don't get to use a Minor Focus: Pandas to cast a version of BoAF that attacks someone with a burning panda but that is normal CrIg, or to cast PeMe "he forgets that I'm here because he is distracted by a mob of pandas," etc.

But maybe there is or could be an underlying theme. Major Focus: Things associated with a holy knight of the temple could encompass CrTe "suit of shining armor", PeVi vs demons, that stained glass window, etc. If you go this route, I recommend also listing a few effects that don't belong here, so that we get an idea of the boundaries of the Focus.

Ditching Numerology is a good way to start. It's a great idea, but not that great to use, as you are seeing.

MC specifically, or is something that anyone in-game would consider a mystery cult fine, even though it is not a Mystery Cult? Because Holy Magic might be an option.

Similarly, is it important specifically to be a Jerbiton living a beautiful life? Because an Ex Misc offshoot of Jerbiton living a beautiful and holy (and knightly?) life opens up options (Major non-Hermetic virtue of your choice), and even works within the AM5 take on Jerbiton: These guys maybe broke away from Jerbiton's inappropriate pacifism 150-200 years ago, and would say "I told you so" except that they're too good for that.

Cabal Legacy is a rather appropriate flaw! It allows mystery virtues at start and represents a desire to have stories about being in (or forming?) an MC.

I've noticed that many GMs prefer to have MC stuff develop during play. I'm not as sure about players. Me, I have no problem with characters loading up on mystery virtues when the game starts if the character has Cabal Legacy or is Ex Misc of an appropriate sort. Pretty much no Mystery Virtues are of a power level that harm a game, so it depends what kind of stories we want to tell about the magus when the saga opens. Are the stories about finding an MC and proving one's worth? Are they about entering the wider Hermetic world after being steeped and indoctrinated into a cult with radically different magics and beliefs? Are they about slowly ascending a hierarchy and learning the ropes? About taking the family secret and turning it into a franchise?

By RAW, you don't need a MC to learn Powers and Methods. Also, iirc, MCs don't get to: One does not initiate these things. Perhaps you are looking for a Holy Tradition instead?

I can see why you really want to view the Rote rules different from what they are, and sympathize. Unfortunately, the countervailing consensus is correct.

considers

The character concept is about someone who is special, even by the standards of other magi, and perhaps becomes moreso over time. I recommend choosing one thing your character can do that is special right from the start that sets her apart, not just a story virtue or motivation. Sense Holy/Unholy might be sufficient, but you might want Holy Magic or whatever, as long as she can do something. And then see what you have room for.

Anyway,

Ken

Flipping through this concept here, there are a few things (between updates at work, so not able to reference mystery virtue rules):
I regularly see people suggest changing m/M magical foci for potent magic when the topic comes up (though this is probably because of the multiple foci limit.)
A story for Aurelia might be seeking to unlock her true faith and begin working with holy magic, seeking a 'mystery cult' of some kind, while not starting that way.
As far as defining a Magical Focus, I've often found it helps to define a Form or TeFo combination to begin with, even if it doesn't end up limiting itself there. There are foci that span many Forms, but they seem to be designed as an exception and example rather than the rule. What sort of form did you want her specialized in? May give you a starting point.

Hi,

Come to think of it, also no problem with magi from MC houses also starting with mysteries of their house.

And I wouldn't object to ditching the rule about needing Cabal Legacy... but that's not RAW.

Anyway,

Ken

Well I am keeping her Jerbiton, but giving her some of the virtues that will form the core of what she will pass along in her Mystery Cult.

As for the focus, what I had in mind that I am rehashing for what was once to be a PBEM, was a maga who had a major magical focus in the four archangels Raphael, Gabriel, Michael and Uriel, but I wanted to limit it to what their porfolios were, and also limit it to, as mentioned, a sort of Mystery Cult "spellbook".

In that regard these are the foci of the angels that I wanted to create the spells for:

Michael: Leadership and Light (A light spell, a spell to give "puissant Leadership", a spell to coerce obedience)
Gabriel: Fire and Healing (A small fireball spell, a healing spell, a spell to create a flaming sword)
Raphael: Creativity and Peace ( A spell to give "free expression", a spell to give a "peaceful+6" trait/Quell belligerence, a spell to create artistry)
Uriel: Death and Silence (A spell to sap life essence, a spell to quiet an area, a spell to kill someone painlessly, who wants to die?)

Now bear in mind, it would be a minor focus, because it would only cover a small handful of spells from each angel - the examples mentioned in brackets, so in total about 15-16 spells. The question is whether or not that is too abstract.

However I am also toying with the "simple" idea of a minor magical focus in healing, as that would be one area which is very helpful to the Templars (Even if Tellus did cover some of it with Bausas), but then have the other spells she have/create be reminiscent of hole spells - as I doubt that the abovementioned abstract focus would fly.

I would argue the ephemeral angelic spread of the 'spellbook' you want would be something too abstract to really be defined as a Magical Focus. the closest example I could see in existing examples would be similar to the planetary potencies of astrology. I always got the sense that hermetic theory was very, very secularied, and the religious symbolism of gods and angels are all something that get shunted into mystery cults and the like.

I’m not sure about that very abstract focus, it seems to be all over the place and not very focused.

But don’t reinvent the wheel- your original concept with Hermetic Numerology could work, as long as you progress gradually in those mysteries rather than have them all at Gauntlet.
Perhaps have her develop new scripts for a cult of her own, from a like-minded cult’s scripts? Legends of Hermes Fortunata has material for that. Aurelia could be the mystagogue for a new cult in the Levant.

I do like Hermetic Numerology, it just feels too much to shoehorn into a concept about a mystery Cult with ties to the Templars.

I am thinking of simply keeping it to divine virtues, and focusing on making a breakthrough with Entreat the Powers. Also the Mystery Cult will have holy themed/flavoured spells that Aurelia will group under the Four archangels - so merely for thematics for the cult. The cult's focus will still be to be an auxilliary mage subgroup of the templars, though the one thing I thought about changing (again) was the Minor Magical Focus, maybe into "Shielding the Mind" ? It would help keep the templars' secrets hidden, and when they start getting prosecuted, ReMe spells to hide their thoughts, emotions, motivations, and secrets would come in handy (As I am sure the Pope and his lackeys have ways of prying these things from their minds)

If we do another "The covenant of X" I can do a Hermetic Numerologist then :slight_smile:

That might be a while.
But why not?

Hi,

A Major Focus in protection would be totally awesome. You don't have room for it, perhaps.

(The Pope and his lackeys might also have ways of noticing that these magical shields are in place, an instant indication of guilt.... )

Anyway,

Ken

that looks more like a version of the Invocation Major Mystery virtue (TMRE, p. 78) than any sort of focus to me. The whole point of a Focus is that you specialize, this... isn't?

Also:

I'm really not a fan of Hermetic spells that grant virtues. Just my personal hang-up perhaps, but it's one of the few things Hermetic Magic isn't good at. And I like limitations.
Also: probably too wide for a focus, since it concists of two concepts.

Again, two seperate concepts, each of which are examples of Minor Foci. So no.

Se Michael above.

Silence would be a nice Minor focus.
Death... might well be too wide for a Major focus. Having both, as parts of a focus... Not a huge fan.

tldr: this looks like 7 minor foci and one major. Probably.

Hi,

Ooh, you're right! That would capture the idea of angel-themed magics quite nicely.

Alas that Invocation is a big waste of vp as written.

Anyway,

Ken

Tellus

I agree, also why I am moving away from the four angels as a focus, they will now "merely" be four groups of thematic spells, that Aurelia will have.

Regarding giving virtues ... well...i think a case could be made for either path, yes it is maybe a bit like a blessing from above, but that is the whole point with this character. Btw I was thinking it it would be a CrMe effect - as it betters the person, but then again, maybe Rego, because target could possible have the virtue as a normal human being?

I feel like the character's concept is stronger now... I am getting more tuned into the idea of a MiMF in "Shielding the Mind", and a cult of magi assisting the Templars, especially in keeping their secrets safe (And having some of their own).

Tell more about the cult. What Mysteries will she invent scripts for?
Does Aurelia intend to initiate the other magi from the covenant?