The Exarch (late summer 1242)

Before he leaves Rilcheaux sits down with the books to do some calculations. The physical vis (how many pawns to a chessboard? 16 pawns, 4 rooks, 2 queens, I have no idea what a knight a bishop or a king is worth...) has presumedly been used for vis exchange several times over in the intervening years, no indication of a contract to pay interest on the vis being held for Val Negra, nor any fees for holding it for them. The question of continuity becomes a question with the deposits as well, depending on when a rupture in lineage may have occurred.
Once he is prepared he asks Lucas "Do you wish to come with me to Val Negra, or stay here and begin the investigation into the Primus' death? The second should, by principle, be the more important investigation. In practice I am not so certain it is."

Seeing that the cohesion of the group was starting to fray, Lucas brings things to a close. He arranges for another meeting at a more reasonable hour, once people have had a chance to sleep. There was much more to deal with once they were all a little fresher. It wasn't glamorous, but it was necessary for the future well-being of the House.

"Let's all pass on the slow-down order to any Redcaps we run into," Lucas says to those gathered, "and arrange for private messages to be sent to what Redcaps are farther away - all word of mouth. We don't want to write anything down about this."

"The big things remaining that need to be done quickly are investigating Insatella's death and checking out Val Negra. I think someone should look at the scene of her death right away, before we turn in, though much of the investigation can wait until later. And if anyone can cast Whisper's Through the Black Gate, we should have them question Insatella. If there was something nefarious involved, she'll probably be willing to tell us that."

OOC: Was it ever resolved as to whether Lucas and Rilcheaux should investigate the death of Insatella? BTW, Lucas would have to roll a 15 on a stress die to cast WTtBG successfully.

"I'd very much like to come to Val Negra to see what's going on there. That place seems to be at the heart of everything that's happening. The investigation into Insatella's death shouldn't wait. But I fear that you're right and the real issues will be settled in Val Negra."

"When were you going to leave for Val Negra? Did you want to wait until you get some sleep, or were you heading off immediately? If immediately, can you spare the time for a quick stop at Insatella's chambers to at least look at the scene of her death? I imagine that a fraction of an hour there would give us all the low-hanging fruit. The rest can wait until later. And if I can scare up someone to cast Whispers Through the Black Gate, we might get our answers even quicker."

It's probably not the smartest thing to do, but I always imagined Talbot as that rarest of beasts, the humble archmagus. So while it may not be the best thing for him, I'd say he was probably an archmagus. And his compassion (he has the Compassionate Flaw) will probably compel him to help out as he can in this time of trouble.

Once, in a life or death situation, I calculated that Roberto would have to roll 16 and spend all his confidence to succeed. I went for it and made a ship fly :slight_smile:
As for deciding who is to what, that is all on you. Everyone seems happy to let Lucas and Richeaux (and Talbot and English Erik) handle everything. Unless Lucas gives a direct suggestion (command).
I use the phrase "chessboard" to mean "a lot". Lingo not firmly established, a Knight is 3 pawns and a Bishop 4. But this is slang, and often implies an Art (Knight is 3 Vim and Bishop 4 Techique pawns). Not official at all. A king is just a lot. More than a Rook, less than a Queen. 16 would round a chessboard to an even 300.
But no hard numbers are being given. It is just fluff.
The primative Mercere bank system does not include ideas of interest on deposits or holding fees. Interest is charged on loans, which often require collateral unless your rep is gold.
So say 900 pawns, deposited over 130 years ago. Doisettep has been paying twelve per year into it since 1111 up until today and maybe tomorrow to. Why they pay is unknown. Andorra paid 4 per year from 1111 until 1212. Why they paid and why they stopped is also unknown.
No one has come asking for this vis. It is just that it is a lot, it is not available on hand, and the questions about a resurgent Val-Negra has thrown everyone into panic.
You may also want to investigate the "branch managers", those who hold positions similar to Lucas in other places. Why the panic? What are they worried about? The holdings at Andorra are sound. Same events happened there. Markus closed one of his personal accounts to make a donation. Then again, Andorra holds no Covenant Accounts, except for Anndorra. Tribunal branches deal with that and Andorra is outside of all Tribunals. But the Barcelona Branch manages all of Iberia and they have no problems. Cunfin manages Normandy and Provencal. They are the ones that got hit with the Doisettep cheque yesterday. They did not think much of it at the time and simply forwarded the cheque to Harco via portal last night.

But wait! Richeaux found a discrepancy. What is this "Black Account" all about? Who is Erat Caecus of Tytalus? Who founded this secret account and why did they just pay a chessboard to Erat (withdrawn yesterday morning from Harco as rooks of Vim infused into gold coins)?
And why is it written on a folded bit of crumbling parchment stuffed in the back of the Val-Negra ledger book?

One more bit, but we really need to close the Harco scene. To nip this in the bud, no one seems to be able to raise Intastella's ghost. That initself is a mystery. Death by hanmging, a stool kicked over and a suicide letter penned in her hand suggests the apparent. Being uncharacteristic of her and the inability to summon her ghosts suggests foul play.
As for the bank crisis, Mercuria steps forward. [color=red]Belay the order from Doisettep. I am a High Misteress of that covenant and I deny the authority of anyone to withdraw such a large sum without consulting the council. The cheque is penned and signed by Flamarcus of Flambeau, a Pontifex but not our treasurer. That would be Chartreaux, the one whom they call "Pinky". I will consult him and the Archpontifes on the matter. But for now that is cancelled.
And follow the plan of Lucas. Take it further even. All trasactions on hold pending investigation. Admit as such. I suspect fraud. This would work to break a mundane banking family, those who lack quick communication that magic [size=25](or technology)[/size] can provide. Put regulations in place. Require payments and transfers of exceptional sums be picked up in person at Harco. We will provide transportation. And those that manage larger banks coughLucascough should guarantee the solvency of the smaller banks. Like the one in Novgorod at the covenant Fedora is from.
Speaking of Fedora, she manages a rather complex situation with no magus to support her. The "bank" there is owned by House Jerbiton actually. Via Barcelona Covenant, they fund and profit fromthe growing network in Iberia. The Redcaps of Yvall's are sort of like paid to manage and operate it. That bank suffered similar "cyber attack", but they have tighter regulations.
Fedora will learn of all of this in the morning as she is drinking her Arabic tea (coffee).

Just a reminder that the Spider worked as a contractant for house Tremere, and has:
Organization Lore: House Tremere 1 (Doctrina)
Covenant Lore: Lycaneon 1 (personalities)
She may be on par with vocis on this :laughing:

She is very much a supporter of House Tremere, and will tend to back them up.

Wikified: andorra.wikidot.com/gifted-mercere

Intissa, a wise, white owl which is the Spider's familiar will submit ideas.
[b]Hum hum. If you will excuse me? There's this theory among scholars of magic, one that I discussed with my mistress.

By walking the paths between Covenants, redcaps maintain a mystical web that links the order together. That's why they use roman paths so much, as their threads run all over the world.
Mind you, I'm not privy of Mercere secrets, and can't tell if this is true. But if that is so, this situation would be most dire, threatening directly the entire legacy of Bonisagus.
Any outside force wanting to subtly weaken the order would do well to first strike at the mercere. Any disruption in the house workings, any slowing down of mercer passage, would be reflected in the greater order*.[/b]

• As she sucks at OoH lore, she misses the obvious: The redcaps are the eyes and ears of the OoH, as well as its mundane ambassadors. Without it, the order is blind, deaf and mute.

Cidito makes his presence known at the Council of Familiars. All the magi in different parts of the story at onther locations, and the Familiars form a think tank with a mish-mash of knowledge.
Awesome!
[color=orange]Meowza!
You wanna know what I think? It's a Diedne plot! In cahoots with House Tytalus. And Lou Malnatti.
Wha?
Okay. Roberto. He's on his way to the covenant in a bit. And he is mad! Steaming. He thinks it's a Tytalus trick. Then he said probably someone trying to pull off a scam. Or mayby trying to cover up a crime. Or maybe obscure a crime in progress.
Then he said he was gonna personally kick Pietro's @$$ for telling stories about him. And I know that story too. It wasn't Roberto. It was Carlos. He told me about it when we wus drinkin' one night. He has Lightning Reflexes and stabbed the woman when she jumped outta hiding behind him. Roberto covered for him he wouldn't get blamed fer, how'd he put it, fer "escalating" the situation. It was a crazy time and it escalated anyway.
Crap.
Don't tell anyone I told you that.
Anyway, Joel winds up toching the village. Crazy old master of Roberto. This guy goes nuts! Don't know what set him off. It had somthing to do with that house though. Some artifact they were loking for onna secret mission. Blowing their cover wrecked the plot and started a war. When they investigated Joel for war crimes against the Code, after he was killed and they made Roberto a magus, Roberto kept to the story. Don't know why. Carlos sez it has something to do with Santiago and more protecting people and stuff.
What?
Hey, I wish I could help you more with your stuff. But all that Roberto has been talking to me about all morning is how he is gonna kick Pietro's @$$. Because of that story.
This other stuff? I dunno. The od addage, Que Bono, Who Profits. I figure that'll be the guy who stole the cookies and gets to eat them. Maybe someone is trying to casta giant ritual! And the gotta cast it a bunch of times.
I still say the Diedne did it.
Or a Tytalus magus.

Celeste will suggest things, some obvious points and all conjecture.

• the culprits are Magi. No non hermetic wizard has the leverage to do this. The mundanes and church don't operate like this.
  • Mercere suffer critically from this, so if some are involved they are blackmailed or controlled/influenced (and does not yet know about the primus suicide).
  • it is a group. And somebody inside House Mercere was meant to observe and report odd actions. Somebody looked the other way, or screwed up badly.
  • perhaps the real damage was done over a long time, like a steady theft, or they ignored an odd case and it's been growing ever since.

Now then:

• Does another covenant have desires as the Domus Magnus and/or control of the Mercere? Control the information and control the order. Which major covenants in the wider region are already trade centres and powerful enough? (Hmm, Barcelona?)

• Archmagus Pietro decided to speak about having the support of the Knights of Sc.. and Roberto didn't know?

• does Erat Caecus of Tytalus come from Barcelona by chance? Ok, who hates him? Oh, he's a thief and runs a criminal network. And was an apprentice to Abbadon in Val Negra.

Too many coincidences there!

OOC: I'm a little confused. Aside from Horus, I didn't think any of the familiars (or their magi) knew about the Mercere bank run. House Mercere is keeping that on the down low. I'm also not sure how much they know about Teremere's bankruptcy, since Vocis didn't mention telling them about it.

[hr][/hr]
Horus, the perigrine falcon familiar of Lucas, offers his ideas about the current situation.

"It seems an awfully big coincidence, Pietro being named primus just as Val Negra is revealed as having supposedly existed all this time. Frankly, I have my doubts about Val Negra's proof. Lucas said that Val Negra has presented proof to House Mercere about their existence. He's helping to run that information down and see how well it holds up. If you ask me, Val Negra will be at the heart of all of our questions."

"Oh, and for whatever it matters, Cidito, I doubt Lucas will say anything to anyone else about what Pietro told him - except maybe Cecelia. He hasn't even said anything about it to me, and he tells me everything."

OOC: More later once we sort out how much people know about the bank run.

"I will look over the scene of her death now, then grab some sleep before I head to Val Negra. I would like someone with InCo to confirm the cause of death is what it appears to be, that she wasn't for example poisoned and then hung from a rope to stage a suicide."

** so roll perception plus what?

Lucas will join Rilcheaux in investigating the cause of Insatella's death. After finding out that her spirit cannot be reached via magic, he will cast a few simple diagnostic spells to see what was truly the time and cause of her death. "Let us hope," he says, "that these spells have not been blocked either."

[hr][/hr]
Revealed Cause of Death
InCo 10
R: Touch, D: Mom, T: Ind
This spell allows the casting magus to know the specific cause of death of a dead body. It is akin to Revealed Flaws of the Mortal Flesh, except for a dead body.
(Base 5, +1 Touch)

CT = [5 (In) + 12 (Co) + 2 (Sta) + 2 (Aura) + Stress Die]/2 = Detect Cause of Death spontaneous spell: 1D10+21 = [5]+21 = 26 = 26/2 = 13; success

Revealed Time of Death
InCo 10
R: Touch, D: Mom, T: Ind
This spell allows the casting magus to know the specific time of death of a dead body. It is akin to Revealed Flaws of the Mortal Flesh, except for a dead body.
(Base 5, +1 Touch)

CT = [5 (In) + 12 (Co) + 2 (Sta) + 2 (Aura) + Stress Die]/2 = Detect Time of Death spontaneous spell: 1D10+21 = [2]+21 = 23 = 23/2 = 11.5; success

Oh, he does? That's interesting, as my maga had the same thought. Sadly, I can't tell for myself, as these human shenanigans are quite confusing to me, but there's a thought.

Vocis asked the familiars to think about specific questions. It stands to reason he also give them enough information to think about them, like "Who could have stolen Bonisagus's chamber pot" => "What? Someone stole bonisagus chamber pot?"

Intissar cocks her head to the side, in a manner strangely reminiscent of Arachné (or is that the other way around?)
[b]Now, that's interesting, because it sounds like a nice trap.
Let's assume that my maga and Cidito's are right, and this is indeed this Pietro hunting for the rulership of these other humans.
All this rests on him having ownership of this Val-Negra place, proof of which rests on there Mercere humans.

So, if he engineered the mercer catastrophe, maybe he holds in his thrall the ones who vouched for him, just like, sometimes, you seize a smaller prey in order to lure a bigger one. Or maybe he promised to feed them the vis they need. Lures of food are often quite efficient in attracting your prey, especially if it is famished.[/b]

(Dunno how long I can keep this up, but I find writing Intissar as both similar to Arachné yet decisively non-human to be quite fun)

My point is that Vocis didn't know about the Mercere bank run. So how could he have asked the familiars to opine about it? His questions appear to come from OOC knowledge.

My recollection was that House Tremere took a huge amount of their vis from the banks, we're not broke but needed funds, and that other senior magi from other covenants have done that too.
If the run isn't known about then I apologise. The sub-stiories in the thread became convoluted and I might have made a mistake.
Vocis still does not know about the suicide or the fact that Rich has the lantern, but he knows it exists now which is why he'd sent message to Lucas.

Edit: move the request for think tank to later in the day when we have the news of the run. Consider though - exceedingly frequently the gossip and busybody traits won't keep this a secret very long. There are too many loose tongues in Mercere, which is normally a strength. Not so now.

To the best of my knowledge (and Marko can correct me if I'm wrong), Vocis knows that Tremere withdrew a lot of vis recently, that Doistepp removed a lot of vis lately, and that maybe some others withdrew vis as well. But he does not know that House Mercere is having trouble paying out all the vis. In fact, as I understand, Tremere got all of its vis before the trouble hit (which is why Rilcheaux was suspicious of them).

So my understanding is that to the outside world, House Mercere should be low on vis but not insolvent. House Mercere is trying to keep the lid on the precariousness of its situation at the moment. So, it seems to me, talk of a vis run, vis shortage, and potential embezzlement on the part of Mercere bankers is a little premature.

I agree, though, it's a confusing situation, and I'm not entirely certain who knows what right now, which is why I raised the issue to see if we can clarify before conversations that maybe shouldn't have happened go too far.

That being said, if we really are talking about all of these things, Horus will have a beakful to say. :slight_smile:

Celeste can find Horus in Lucas' tower. Horus reports that Lucas is asleep right now after a long night. He can be woken if it's important or he can be given a message when he wakes. Horus is of the belief that Lucas has a busy day ahead of him, but will certainly prioritize speaking with Vocis about any matter of concern.

[hr][/hr]
OOC: I'm assuming that Rilcheaux and Lucas came back to Andorra to sleep, since Val Negra is supposed to be closer to Andorra than Harco. That makes Andorra the natural spot to start from.

That morning after the Exarch requests the return of the vis funds allocated Vocis will request the local Bank confirm the current stock in that account and arrange a transfer.
He will also check his own balance.
Does he see or hear anything odd?
Does Lucas reply to the request to meet?

How does the lamp work? Does it teleport us to Val Negra? If so I was thinking we would leave from Harco...

Purity perks up at the mention of Diedne Well, I have no idea about any of this, but if there is a Diedne involved don't let me miss the hunt. I love infernalist hunts. And there are usually demons to kill too. Oh I know the answer! If this leads to a Diedne to kill we all profit! Dead infernalists are profit for all things!