The Language of Angels

According to medieval doctrine, angels are purely mental beings that communicate by direct apprehension of each other's thoughts (or, according to Dante, by the apprehension of their images in God). They are transparant, their thoughts not hidden from each other by the veil of flesh.
When angels speak with mortals, they typically put their thoughts into the mundane tongue, lowering themelves to the mortal's level so that they could communicate with him. But naturally, they use direct apprehension and display of thought as the Language of Angels.

Now, how to put this in terms of Hermetic magic?

A spell that allows the magus to apprehend thought directly is simply an improved version of Peering Into the Mortal Mind - perhaps with a target of Sight-sense, or perhaps Hearing.
What about a spell that makes the mortal's thoughts as transparent as an angel? This one I ain't sure about. It doesn't seem to fit the guidelines. It is cast on the mortal (Target: Individual), yet affects the sorounding minds (Target: non-standard Room?) by revealing his thoughts to them. Perhaps something like...

The Curse of Angelic Speech
MuMe(In) ?; R: Eye, D: Sun, T: Individual
This spell turns the mind of the target inside out, endowing it with openess and putting it in plain view. The target of this curse loses the privacy of his thoughts. The mind of everyone that sets eyes on him is flooded with the target's surface thoughts, as if he spoke them directly to their mind. The thought's "volume" is about that of speech, so that they may be an inaudible whisper from a distance, but are loud and clear from a few feet.
The spell needs to penetrate Magic Resistance on those looking at the target for the target's thoughts to penetrate into their mind.
(Base ?, +1 Eye, +2 Sun, +1 requisite, +4 ad-hoc Hearing-like In effect)

In hope that some of you might find this interesting,

Yair.

Understanding the Tounge of Angels.
InMe 35
Allows a person to hear surface thoughts within earshot. Use of this spell in a town is not recomended.

(Base 15(reading surface thoughts), range person, dur: conc(+1), target: hearing(+3))

MuMe(Cr) 40; R: Eye, D: Sun, T: Individual
This spell turns the mind of the target inside out, endowing it with openess and putting it in plain view. The target of this curse loses the privacy of his thoughts. The mind of everyone that sets eyes on him is flooded with the target's surface thoughts, as if he spoke them directly to their mind. The thought's "volume" is about that of speech, so that they may be an inaudible whisper from a distance, but are loud and clear from a few feet.
The spell needs to penetrate Magic Resistance on those looking at the target for the target's thoughts to penetrate into their mind.
(Base 15, +1 Eye, +2 Sun, +2 CrMe effect of level 30+)

W

Shiny.

Don't have the book with me, but these look grand.

MuMe(Im) 30; R: Eye, D: Sun, T: Individual

The fact that you perceive the target's thoughts when looking at him, rather than literally "see his mind" is a cosmetic effect.

(Base 15: make a mind visible, +1 Eye, +2 Sun, +0 Im requisite, +0 cosmetic effect)

It has the advantage that it bypasses MR.

How can something have the advantage of bypassing MR?
The whole idea of spells having to penetrate MR would seem to be fundamental to the entire Ars spell system.

He uses the species. Ingenius idea.

A bit like a mage will see a magical light even if it does not penetrate his MR.

W

Maybe I worded it poorly. It doesn't bypass the MR of the target but, unlike the other spells presented here, there is no need for the spell to penetrate the MR of the onlookers to work because it produces species.

Got a question... will this mimick the Bable Tongues as pure taughts are sent out or will it emate the surface taughts in the language of the individual ?

W

Is this confirmed?
The last few arguments i saw seemed to indicate that the Mage would be in darkness if a wholly magical light source failed to penetrate.
Iirc , you could not see the source itself , if penetration failed , but you could see natural things which reflected the magically created light.

No, light is Ignem, and it is its interaction with objects that create species. MR will work against magical light, but not against direct creation of species via Imaginem.

That's my understanding, too. It also means that the mage himself wouldn't be lit either. I remember proposing that as a cheap MR detector.

I disagree, species are not stopped by MR. A magus would have no more difficulty seeing a magically created fire than a magically created duck.

I took it that the idea was that a magically created fire/duck doesn't put out magical species, though a creo imaginem spell might. So natural species from magical items don't need to penetrate MR, while magical species from creo imaginem (and no doubt other sources) would. Yes? No?

Page 79: "Thus, the species emanating from an illusion are not, themselves, magical." (Implying that they would not be resisted by Might.)

It says earlier that the species for sight "require light to get any distance from the originating body." This suggests to me that the species use light to travel, the species don't have MR (even if a magus does), thus the species can travel through magical light without pinging the subject's resistance.

Other interpretations (or information I missed) are welcome.

What kind of species? There's five senses and five types of species - but none of these fit the description of the spell.

Kind regards,

Berengar

Visual.

The level 15 guideline for MuMe is "make a mind visible". You are free to interpret that however you wish, but making the target's thoughts visible is right within the scope of that guideline. You turn the thoughts into species, but there is no reason that those thoughts would be perceived as physical manifestations rather than perceived as thoughts.

Whether you have an actual visual representation of what the target is thinking about floating above his head or whether you just state that anyone who looks at the target knows what he's thinking about are just cosmetic differences to me anyway. The end result is the same.

It's the converse of using InMe to grant yourself the ability to sense thoughts via sight.

I never said they were. And Ignem can create light without need for a fire. That light will be stopped by MR.

'Making a mind or spirit visible' just says, that the mind or spirit does then emanate normal, nonmagical visual species: those perceived with the eyes. There are no species to be perceived directly by the mind.

See ArM5 p.79:
"Imaginem
This Forms concerns the things in the world that the senses respond to. Natural philosophy calls them 'species'. ... All things constantly give off species for each of the senses. ... Imaginem spells affect the process by which species are produced, rather than the species themselves. Thus, the species emanating from an illusion are not themselves magical."

So to make thoughts visible with the MuMe, you have to somehow encode them in the visual species. This will first give the spell an Intellego requisite to analyze the thoughts, and then a Creo requisite, too, as you create the species bearing that encoding. If the encoding is complex, this will also further increase the spell's level. (See CrIm guidelines of ArM5 p.144).

Magical senses do not perceive species. They just use the senses of the magic's recipient to convey information detected by Intellego magic. They (ArM5 p. 113f) "allow the recipient to detect things that he could not normally sense. ... Each magical sense target grants the recipient information through one of his senses. This information is easily distinguished from mundane information coming through the same sense, but it is subject to the same limitations as the mundane sense."

Kind regards,

Berengar

This makes sense to me.

True again.

I think the MuMe effect would be to make the thoughts visible (as per Fruny's quote), by way of emanating natural species (as per Berengar's). I think emanating hearing species would be most effective, and should be of the same difficulty. The surface thoughts of the target would simply be "spoken" by the spell, and would be heared by anyone just like normal speech.
I'm not sure whether an "Im" requisite is needed. To turn yourself into a wolf you would need MuCo(An), and the guideline says so; the guideline to make a mind visible does not mention an Im requisite and IIRC the spell that uses it (making a ghost visible) doesn't either. I think no requisite is needed.

[quote="YR7I'm not sure whether an "Im" requisite is needed. To turn yourself into a wolf you would need MuCo(An), and the guideline says so; the guideline to make a mind visible does not mention an Im requisite and IIRC the spell that uses it (making a ghost visible) doesn't either. I think no requisite is needed.[/quote]

Doesn't the spell that uses this require that the ghost be able to make itself visible in the first place? In other words, you're just forcing it to do something it allready knows to do? Not 100% sure about this one, but that is what I seem to recall...

Wouldn't that be a REGO mentem spell, then?

Anyways, I don't have my book with me, so I can't check...