The mighty Forest

I see, thanks. If it means making Arts cost a base of 5xp like Abilities rather then the 1xp base they currently have then it's too big a change for me. Doubling the cost to 2xp might be more reasonable in terms of getting back to the flavor of powerful yet not over powerful Magi.

You can of course choose a multiplier of your choice, but going with the x5 (Ability) scale allows both for consistency (everything works the same) and comes out to half the Art scores and reach what I feel is the right power level.

You'd want to make a few related minor changes, e.g. setting the minimum Arts to teach an apprentice at 15 XP (a score of 2 for an Ability/Difficult Art) instead of a score of 5 in the Art (which is also 15 xp).

A process that the setting has for other magic users is having a combo of normal arts, and difficult (ability) arts. Say the Techniques are Difficult Arts (XP like abilities) and the Forms are "normal" arts. Gruagachan & Natural Magicians work like that.

Cheers,
Xavi

I hadn't really looked at the math but a glance at the advancement table shows that you're right, using the Abilities scale does give you roughly 1/2 level in Arts. Actually a little less than 1/2 most of the time. Taking Form and Technique both at 1/2 gives a casting total of about 1/4 the original, which is too low for me, I think.

I can also see, though, the appeal of a lower-level game that is much closer to Medieval Europe than to Mythic Europe and your system sounds right for that. My goal right now is more modest, to get back to the power-level feel of earlier editions of the game.

Actually ignore what I just said. Brain fart on my part. That's what I get for replaying when I'm supposed to be doing something else. You're probably right actually.