The scriptorium

He also, if we are using the workshop rules, is below standard quality production, meaning "Shoddy items perform exactly like quality items... they are not as durable as regular goods". Not sure exactly how this would work with scribe... perhaps over time the flaws in the writing become noticeable and it gets harder to read? In covenants it means the quality is dropped by 1 because the work was not properly scribed.

[Serf's parma]
Is that the HR you discussed with JL on the forums? The one where a skilled scribe/illuminator/bookbinder could contribute more than +1 to a book's quality?

If so, for what it's worth, I tend to side with JL. Not only do I feel like this isn't very realistic (good penmanship, fine binding and pretty pictures can enhance your reading, but this only gets you so far), it also increases book keeping (with things like "Scribed +2, Illuminated +1, bookbinded +3" on every book).

If not, forget this message :smiley:
[/Serf's parma]

I may have told you this before: Covenant and C&G don't mesch well, because they were written at very different times, with very different purposes in mind (rough simulation of an entire covenant's finances vs precise simulation of a single craftsman's shop). This way lies madness :wink:

Keep it simple, IMO (Yeah, this is me saying this :unamused: ), stick to covenants, which is complicated enough as it is => -1 quality :wink:

I'd rather not worry about this, since it would adversely affect copies we've already made. Shortly after the 1230 restart of the saga, several magi with low Scribe scores copied some pretty spectacular summae from the library of Sigmundo.

I don't know if it is considered a house rule or not, since it is canon in C&G that anything which produces an item is a craft and the rules apply to crafts, but yes, it where scribe, illuminator, etc. can add more than +1. I had thought we had decided to allow it for scribing, but that it had not been settled for Illumination and bookbinding.

I do not have C&G and I along ago nixed the scribed/binding/illustrating rules from Covenants. Using just the core rules, the book has a Quality equal to 6 + Communication, and if a Good Teacher then a +3 bonus. Other bonuses include Resonance, Clarification, Writing at a Lower Lever, and the free +1 for a Commentary.
By the way, I just checked the Library scores and they all add up fine.
Scribing is just scribing. A higher score allows you to copy faster.

If work quality isn't going to matter then we should make the scriptoria as labs focused towards texts instead of workshops...
Elementary (major flaw), -2 General Quality, -3 upkeep,
Greater feature: podium (major virtue) +2 aesthetics, +3 texts
Greater Focus: podium (major flaw) -2 general quality, +4 texts
add greater or lesser features according to size and refinement- base size -3, -4 general quality, which doesn't affect texts, and +7 texts which means 2 extra levels/season transcription, taking up 100 square feet In the covenant and costing 0.3 lbs of silver a year per "lab". If scribes get a magic theory above 3 their labs can be refined and lesser foci added for an extra +1 aesthetics and +1 to texts- every 3 levels in texts means one more level per season.
Improving a scriptorium workshop (as opposed to lab) has no effect if we aren't using the rules from city and guild for texts.

This reminds me of the teaching hall Draganna wants to build. No real lab work, just a bonus to teaching.

I would love to incorporate your other ideas. But I do not have C&G nor do I have funds to spare. And this saga is bloated with HR's and sourcebook options as it is

Here is an idea. How about you get to add the text bonus to your Scribe or Language score for the purposes of calculating the speed at which you write/copy? Maximum bonus of +3 for this, similar to the maximum Teaching Bonus.

Eh?

And I checked again, the Quality scores seem to be right on the money. What text(s) did you see a discrepancy on?

So he effectively gets bonus skill for having high skill?
Liberi de Creationé Level 20, quality 14
Bonisagus (Com +3, Good Teacher, Creo 40)
1/2 40=20, no bonus for reduced level, quality=3(com)+6+3(good teacher)=12

On the Origin of Origins
Creo Summa: Level 15, Quality 16
Author: Lissa of Criamon (Com +5, Good Teacher, Creo 32)
1/2 32=16, -1 level=+1 quality, quality 5(com)+6+3(good teacher)+1(writing down a level)=15

shall I go on?

What if we allow craft bonuses for scribe with the following limitations:

1. the scribe has to know the language at 5+ and
  2. it only applies to new texts, not copies.

So if Felicia were to narrate to Adan, who had a hired assistant working with him, the book would gain a +2 to quality, but if Felicia were to simply narrate to one of the hired scribes, and Adan copied it later, it would gain no such bonus.

Look at the Features line, which is right after the author line. The books has +1 from Minor Resonance and +1 from Clarification.

Looks like a simple math error, easily resolved.

Only if you're really that interested in pointing out our math errors. Any issues you find in the calculations of level and quality will just result in Marko or me changing the book details to match the level and quality, because the level and quality were what was used to 'purchase' the book in the first place.

HR's and sourcebooks options in the Library opens up a messy can of worms I don't want to deal with. I am sure there is more than one math error, for I know I am prone to math errors. When I get the chance, I will comb throgh the wiki library and do an audit. I thank you for alerting me to the problem :smiley: