The Theban Tribunal of 1200

"Yes please, thank you." Constantine heads to the alcove, glancing over his shoulder to see if his parens has noticed or is reacting.

Once in the alcove, he goes on. "You know my first parens was Artemis ex Jerbiton, killed on the street. And I was fostered to Pondorius. I won't waste your time complaining about my apprenticeship, but now I face my gauntlet, which is to find a place for myself in a covenant. However, I wish to find myself a place in another House, as well."

"An interesting proposal, I would recommend that you handle this one task at a time. Did I hear correctly that finding a place in a covenant is your gauntlet?"

Constantine nods. "Yes, that's correct. I feel it's strange, but probably not strange enough to be worthy of formal complaint."

"I suppose technically that would not allow you to join a proto covenant, and I'm not certain what other constraints he may have placed on your gauntlet, but the worst that could happen is for him to not get a token or even gain a shard if you complain, and he is still in charge of your gauntlet. Once you are gauntleted it is possible, not easy, but possible, to change houses. The only other way I can see you changing, especially before you are gauntleted, would be to fail your gauntlet and have your apprenticeship taken over by a bonisagus. Which still might not happen and leaves you as an apprentice for another 7 years."

Constantine nods. "I see. Part of the reason I approached you is that from what I know of the Theban covenants, I would like to join yours. But I assume it is not as simple as me asking you. The thought of failing is not appealing, nor is another 7 years of apprenticeship. But House Jerbiton doesn't want me, and I don't want it."

One side of his face quirks a smile "I hardly think either you or the entire house are yet in a position to make that statement, but it does at least seem like it was not a good fit. As to joining our covenant." he pauses to think about this for a moment. "Our covenant is dedicated to a mystery cult, one which I am probably the least member, barring initiates, and we do not admit new members to the covenant who are not members of the cult. As such you will not be able to join our covenant in the time you have allotted. However if you would explain to me why you are interested in our covenant, I might be able to make recommendations and introductions."

Constantine frowns slightly. "Mystery cult? I didn't know about that... I was mostly interested because it's secluded and subterranean. I've done one minor exploration along those lines, and I'm interested in doing more. I also... well the rumors of the Sundering... and other, smaller things... it seems your covenant does what needs to be done, quietly and effectively, and I'd like to be part of that.

As far as the Jerbiton, I suppose I was being grandiose. But they seem obsessed with trivialities, and mundanities, and they are very judgmental about those who don't share their obsessions - of course almost none of them know who I am, but the ones who I've met have certainly judged me.

Oh! Apologies, I almost forgot. The covenant I join can't be in Thessalonika."

"Well, Ignasia is certainly underground, if that is your primary concern. They are primarily for Verditious ages, but having someone that can be an asset and not competing for the forge might be attractive to them. In terms of getting things done, every covenant has a purpose, even if some, like Monroe's garden, have a pretty pointless purpose. I assume we can rule out Erebos, they do good work but it is entirely healing, which doesn't sound like what you are interested in. Favonious might be able to use the training you have received, their newest ship is a merchants ship, and having a magus with a Jerbiton background and a pragmatic attitude could be quite usefull. Of course you could ask about Xlintes or Polyaigos if you hve an interest in teaching. Any of those would get you through your gauntlet at least and you could proceed from there."

Has Ioannes been to polyaigos or was he brought in from elsewhere as an "auspicious" apprentice? He certainly doesn't seem to have received training there...

My idea was that he was nearly the complete 11 years of his live at the covenant of Alexandria so far. Why is the covenant of Polyaigos suddenly coming up? Did I make a mistake with the abilities he should have?

Edit: Ohh I see your talking about Ioannes of house Bonisagus, sorry that is something I can't answer.

No, I was talking about Ioannes the apprentice, I was asking because it affects how he is perceived in his bid for apprenticeship- I take it the Gift suddenly manifested just before the tribunal is why he was not sent to Polyaigos for pre-apprenticeship training...

That is fine with me as his complete ability can come down to be raised as Grog (i.e. I gave him the Loyality Personality)

A magus walks over to Ioannes. "You have no records, why is that?"

"Sir? Although I lived all my live in Alexandria my Gift was just recently discovered, that might be the reason there no reports of me here"
(If it was 7 year later it would be a complete different story / answer with all the missing reports happening in Alexandria during the next years ^^)

if you had been discovered 7 years ago you would have been shipped to Polyaigos to be trained to become an apprentice.
Given the amount of mystical blood this character claims I am assuming he is not a descendant of Mercere…
also could not find "child of covenfolk" but it seemed a pretty unimportant detail...

Son / daughter of ... is mentioned under App 9 in the text below Social Status Virtues & Flaws. And sorry I didn't fully read TSE so I sure have holes in my knowledge as player i.e. the part the Polyaigos is the education for children expected to become a apprentice.

I see- it wasn't given a header to mark it as an actual social status, just being a description...

Yes, when a child is discovered in Thebes they almost always tell one of the magi in charge of apprentices, one of 4 magistrates on the treasury council without other duties in charge of collecting Vis and apprentices. Then, if the person finding the apprentice doesn’t offer to take care of them and at least agree to arrange teaching if not teach them a bit themselves, and bring them to the tribunal themselves then the child is handed over to the treasury council who pretty much ships them off to Polyaigos Where there is a school to be trained in Ancient Greek, Artes Liberals, Possibly other skills, and to be examined for the strengths and weaknesses of their gift and personalities as far as those can be discovered. As most magi do not want to take care of a kid despite that they would receive a token for bringing them safely to the Tribunal, most just hand them over. As redcaps are actual members of the order I could easily see a child of redcaps kept by their parents to be taught and brought to tribunal rather than sent to Polyaigos.

All of the above is about how it’s written in the book, it seems like in this game sending the children to Polyaigos is more common/encouraged.

Constantine nods, thinks for a few moments, and smiles. "Thank you, Quaesitor. A pity we didn't meet 14 years ago. Could you introduce me to someone from Ignasia, please? If they don't want me, I will try to find someone from Favionus." He remains deep in thought, though, conflicted, and asks (probably as they walk) "What can you tell me about Xylinites?"

"I don't believe anyone from Ignasia is here yet, though there is one individual from Favionus, a rather remarkable Bonisagus looking for his apprentice, likely his last, given his age and... condition. Xylinites is a school, a mundane school run primarily by Jerbiton. It has a magic aura but is right next to a monastery, and they have had a significant amount of success in recruited gifted young boys who would have otherwise become eunuchs. I believe the aura there is rooted to some kind of religious icon, but somehow attuned to the magic rather than divine realm. Beyond that I really don't know much about them, except that they are given financial sponsorship by the state in addition to what they earn training eunuchs."

Constantine looks sideways at the Quaesitore. "Is that... allowed? It seems a little bit... close to the edge of the Code."