The "Things we should write" thread

In 1220 it is part of the Holy Roman empire with an agreement between Fredrick II and the pope to separate it from the HRE which is largely centered in Germany. Given later events between Fredrick II and the Pope this plan did not come to fruition during Fredrick II's lifetime.

I've thought of a thing we should write.

I think Wales gets really short shrift in Ars. I think it's because it was basically where the Bad Guys lived, and so there was no need to really sort it all out.

I was thinking of annotating Wirt Sykes's British Goblins, but if someone wants to write some geographic stuff for Wales, I think that would be kind of cool. I've sort of nibbled at the edges with Sabrina's Rest on my blog (Bristol Channel) but...yes, I think it's a thing that needs doing eventually.

I'm not familiar with that but it sounds very interesting.
To the Library! There is Research to be done!

Far be it from me to keep you from the Library, but Sykes's booksare in the public domain because he's been dead so long.

Librivox is recording British Goblins into audio, so I was going to announce it as an idea one that was available, but the text is up on Project Gutenberg and Internet Archive.

The holiday Linda and I took to the UK, which should be notorious for anyone who has followed my blog as basically an extended Ars Magica study tour, included me buying a copy of British Goblins at a little shop in Glastonbury. Terrifyingly of all the books I bought in England, it's the only one I have read. I have a good two meters worth of books from that trip I've never gotten around to digesting into Ars Magica form. Actually, tell a lie: we bought a copy of the Folio Society's Dracula at the British National Library for our planned-to-exist baby and I've read that, and we bought a copy of Pterry's "I Shall Wear Midnight" in Edinburgh high street. Those aside, though, I really must get around to cracking open some of those books.

So, it's November on Sunday, and I was wondering if anyone had any plans for writing Ars material this November? Some previous years people have made a good go of it (we've had magic items in the past, CJs list of saints, list of judicial cases, there's probably more if I search for it).

I am currently sadly short on paid work, so may start something, but will probably abandon it if a job comes along. I've been looking at various non-Hermetic bits and looking at which ones I could do a good bit of sample characters, spells/applications of their powers, spirits/ creatures they would deal with, magical places, scenario ideas, enough to make them runnable. I did a scenario of Amazons for Grand Tribunal UK a few years back, which had 5 sample Amazons and a couple of new spells each, the scenario was very short but it showcased them nicely.

Oh, and https://forum.atlas-games.com/t/can-we-have-a-think-about-collaborative-writing-projects/9546/1 was another topic on a similar vein. I wasn't so hot on writing Ars fiction, but it might inspire others.

Threadomancy from 11.5 months ago!!!

However, this time it's appropriate because once again, the season has come around to consider writing projects in November. (What with "national novel writing month" being a well-established thing, it seems November is the traditional month for aspirational writing projects)

So, anyone up for creating more Ars fan content this November? We've had saints, legal cases, magic items, all sorts of things....and lots of projects mentioned and abandoned.

Just prodding the collective imaginations of the board again. Maybe 2016 will be the lucky year.

Thanks for reminding me this thread exists.

I've tried to kick this along for a few years, but this year I just don't have the energy to be the one trying to push the thing along. If someone else wants to give it some direction I might help out as a writer.

I'll be writing a few podcasts...but other than that I'm feeling a bit worn thin at the moment.

Here's a thought: could we arrange a Thing Per Day across the whole Fandom? I will chip in a podcast and transcript every Friday. Who else can chip something in?

For November? I could do more Saints, as they are quite good fun?

CJ x

A consideration is adding the content to Project: Redcap. I just kicked off the "30 Pages in November" campaign [url]30 Pages in November - #2 by borbetomagnus] inviting the ArM community to update the site.

Thanks,
Walter

Salve sodales,
we are thirty-three days from November, the traditional time for writing projects and community efforts. I think this is the most relevant thread from last year to resurrect, so I will make the traditional requests for:
What community projects should people try this year?
Last year we had 30 pages for November. Does project redcap have another bright idea, or are there any other ideas rumbling around?

I had fun creating Hector for Anulus Connectens, and I see Erik and Christian have revived their characters for another 15 year period. When it wound down, we mused about maybe doing another covenant, or maybe doing a "Magi of Hedges" - like Magi of Hermes, but for hedge magi.

What daily item would you like to see?
Last year I went for Naranj, as I wanted to develop the Solomonic spellbook into something I might actually use for characters. Current "one a day for November" thoughts I have are:
A vis source a day
A Hermetic lab a day
An "experimentally altered" spell a day - if I've got the time, create a new spell and change it, otherwise it'll be a published spell with a twist
A rival magic spell/item a day
or maybe if I work really hard, A covenant situation a day.

Of these, the ones I find most awesome are the Vis Sources, followed by the lab. Still, anyone who is willing to put out more cool ideas for people is doing a good thing, no matter what you decide. Awesome.

Project Redcap update of the day?

Do you have a link for this?

Of these, I think I'd most like to see a hermetic lab a day, but I suspect that might also be the most work. Any of them would be cool though.

... not even going to ask for this one...

Ah, "Thirty solomonic suggestions for November" ended up as 18 by me and 3 by Ramidel - I really ought to add a few more to increase it.

[url]https://forum.atlas-games.com/t/thirty-solomonic-suggestions-for-november/8399/7]

Seems a bit more doable, that :wink:

I'm tempted, but my low hanging fruit on this are 19 Dunsany stories from 51 Tales ("The Food of Death") and the miscellaneous bits of Hunt's Romances of Cornwall.

I'm a bit worried because Romances of Cornwall seems to be the least popular of the regular subjects of my podcast. I'm still committed to doing it, but the cool thing about upping my podcast plan for this month to get in next week's Enormous Episode in is that I get the detailed stats package thrown in, and I've not seen it before. People don't hate the Cornish stuff by any means, it just loses about 10-20 listeners each week, and so I'm a bit leery of carpet bombing with it.

It might just be that the bits of Hunt I'm burning through are the weaker ones. I'm doing Saints and Holy Wells now, which gets me to King Arthur.

Anyway...you know how I said I couldn't do 30 days because I was trying to fill out my podcast plan? I'm about to record the last chunk of that, so I'll have time to do something, but I'm not sure what.

OK, eight days until November!

It's looking like I will go with the hermetic lab a day, as Tellus would like to see it and it was raccoonmask's second choice. I'm reading up on the rules in Covenants - I may have to invent a few lab enchantments to get the effects I want, or to install certain virtues/flaws.

Hmm.. I'll have to re-read the Bonisagus section of HoH:TL, but I might try and stat up a Folio a day, could be interesting and gives a variety of different types of Hermetic writings for people to play with?

Folios are a fair amount of work. I got some help from the forums here to come up with a Bonisagus Folio which became an entire article in Peripheral Code's first issue.

Even if you only did one "chapter" of the Folio each day, you'd still have one Folio every week (or so) by the end, and that's not bad.

The lab idea is also great. If you're inventing some new enchantments, that will add to the shopping list for other magi working on their own labs.