The Training of Sheelagh

Wait, she has actual emerald for eyes? You shoulda told me, I'd have altered the picture accordingly. Though this is quite a disfigurment :-/

I think I originally stated that her eyes looked like cut amethysts. But double-checking the Imbued With Spirit virtue, there doesn't seem to be an external indicator of the virtue. So she's got faerie eyes (purple/amethyst colored), which are NOT cut/faceted like polished gemstones (as I said long, long ago). However, her Imbued With Spirit of Terram CAN be sensed, and the closer you are to being Terram-aligned, the more unnerving that sense of "Terram-ness" is.

"Do we have a bargain? Will you do this extra favor for me while you're at Durenmar? Shall I begin preparing the InTe rituals for your new basement?"

[color=blue]"Hmm? Oh. Yes, we do. I will be leaving directly after the Autumn meeting, and I will try to find the researcher for you. Thank you for your help."

facedesk I just remembered...Sheelagh doesn't speak Latin and can't read yet. And speaks Gaelic (the Scottish kind).

So...unless we have someone else who speaks both Gaelic and Latin and is a decent teacher, it looks like Durenmar is either going to get pushed back a bit or someone else is going to have to go. (I was hoping we could get the Scribing at Durenmar done while we had the Hermes Portal up.)

Edit: As near as I can tell, the only ones who speak both are Fiona and Moire (Native Gaelic, Latin 3). I could have Moire teach Sheelagh while Fiona's at Durenmar, but she only has a SQ of 10 (vs. Fiona's 16).

Here's what I came up with for Sheelagh. The Inherited Virtues and Flaws are noted. (this is just a cut-and-paste from the html output of my metacreator...I didn't feel like going in and formatting everything). This should at least give us something to work with, and Fixer can go in and tweak what he wants until we get a Final Version of her.

Sheelagh
Characteristics: Int 0, Per -2, Pre -1, Com -2, Str -1, Sta 0, Dex -1, Qik -1
Size: +2
Age: 10 (10), Height: 9'0'', Weight: 733 lbs, Gender: Female
Decrepitude: 0
Warping Score: 0 (0)
Confidence: 1 (3)
Virtues and Flaws: The Gift, Giant Blood, Affinity with Music, Affinity with Corpus [Inherited], Inventive Genius (Invent Lab Totals: +3), Boundless Energy, Hermetic Apprentice, Flawless Magic (Study Totals: Doubled for spell mastery) [Inherited], Bully, Difficult Longevity Ritual, Oversensitive (Slights about her size), Envied Beauty [Inherited], Weak Magic, Weird Magic (Botches on Stressed Casting: Extra botch die)
Combat:
Dodge: Init: -1, Attack --, Defense +2, Damage --
Fist: Init: -1, Attack +2, Defense +2, Damage -1
Kick: Init: -2, Attack +2, Defense +1, Damage +2
Soak: 0
Fatigue levels: OK, 0, -1, -3, -5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties: -1 (1-7), -3 (8-14), -5 (15-21), Incapacitated (22-28), Dead (29+)
Abilities: Gaelic 5, Brawl 3, Music 4, Athletics 3, Awareness 2, Folk Ken 1 (2), Charm 1
Arts: Cr 0, In 0, Mu 0, Pe 0, Re 0, An 0, Aq 0, Au 0, Co 0, He 0, Ig 0, Im 0, Me 0, Te 0, Vi 0
Equipment:
Encumbrance: 0 (0)

She can play music with Theraphosa to calm herself down when her studies get her down!

I put that in there because Marós mentioned that her voice was as fair as her namesake in the letter.

I am currently giddy with the image of Sheelagh singing an aria in front of a giant mandala-like cobweb. Theraphosa hangs from a string above and to her right, playing four violins simultaneously.

You made me laugh. Thank you. I sorely needed that.

Dammit, now I know what they're singing....

♫The Hills Are Alive with the Sound of Music...♫

Funny, I envisionned her first as a bully...

Tired, struggling. And need to re-read apprentices. You did a MC file? Care to share it?

Difficult Longevity Ritual, Weak Magic and Weird Magic, that's a lot of hermetic flaws. You didn't wrote inherited, so all of them came from fiona? I'm lost.

IMO, (and since JL inflicts that mandatory flaw I'm the only one who cares about being at opening), it might be better to keep that to a minimum. Leaves room for fiona without crippling her prematurely.
I mean, I like Fiona being faced with the choice of either letting the girl as "natural" as possible, even if she doesn't ressembles her parens at, or trying to fit her into the mold of tradition, virtues and flaws included, whatever her reasons (conformity to tradition, thinking it's worth it, wanting a child-apprentice in her image...).

Like I said, it's a rough draft, they can all be inherited and just come out during play or as she learns magic, discovering (for example) that no matter how hard she tries, she just can't get the oomph on her spells that Fiona's do (Weak magic, lacking on penetration).

Do you have dropbox? If so, I can upload it there, or if you pm me your email I can send it to you that way, whichever way works better for you.

What books do we have that would be considered "Apprentice-appropriate"?

Also, with no Magic Theory, she's of no use to anyone in the laboratory in Winter or Spring 1222-23, when Fiona's going to be out of town. She's going to be needing to be either sat down with a book or taught something by somebody.

I don't think anybody who knows Magic Theory is available those seasons, and I think we're still coming up with another teacher who knows Gaelic who can teach the girl Latin? (aside from Moire?)

How could she read any book we have without Latin or Greek?

I would have the language teacher have gaelic (sp?). If we are spending BP on him/her than they should have what we need. The language teacher would be in ME at 1223.1 or 1223.2

Yeah, that occurred to me as I was typing my reply. So. First thing she needs to do is have someone who speaks Gaelic teach her Latin...enough Latin to be able to learn other stuff. And then have her learn Artes LIberales so she can read and write. I would have Fiona teach her Latin in 1222.3, but she's got Princeps duty and can't really trade it off. And if the new teacher can't arrive until 1223.1, that's two seasons that Sheelagh won't be able to do much, if anything.

I can have Moire (SQ: 10) teach her, that will give her a score of 1(5), which is better than nothing. Then have Otto teach her Artes Liberales, since (as near as I can tell) you don't have to have a minimum score in a language to be taught, you just have to have a language in common. But for some reason, doing it that way feels very...ineffective.

I need to check if I am doing a LR for L in 1222.3. If not( due to the subject being gone) I can cover precept duty so you can teach. We can call it payment for your time copying books.

No reason to do that LR now.

Fiona thanks Korvin profusely (how profusely is up to him :wink: ). I'll make the changes to the planner now.

See my post in the other thread about cultural difference in the attitude people have about books and children.

Also, I'm surprised that no one has thought of this already, but there's Viscaria's Ordinary Mirror, if you're really worried about letting her touch the book itself.