Fiona ex Miscellanea

This is the way I view enchanting. Your device is limited by Vis capacity from preparation. It does not provide spell level capacity. An effect is designed and it costs x pawns to invest.

Working on the Enhanced Curse of Circe, did we ever figure out how much Paul and Sheelagh added to her lab total in Autumn of 1223? (I have 11 from Abigail already).

I thought you were going to work Sheelagh up.

Paul adds 4. He's very bright and had picked up some Magic Theory from the other familiars and magi at Valnastium. Just give him booze after you're done for the day...

For some reason, I thought Fixer was. I can, if y'all want.

I guess I should have said I wasn't aware I was designing her. :smiley:

Did a first draft/rough sketch so we at least have something to build on. Fixer can tweak her some if he wants, and keep track and run her and all that good stuff. Or not.

Final run-through on Fiona' Enhanced Curse of Circe, in Autumn of 1223. The spell is just like the regular Curse of Circe that Fiona already knows, with +2 Magnitudes for Size. Thus, it should work on targets of up to +7. Technically it's Muto Corpus base 10, +2 Voice, +2 Sun, +2 Size.

Her Lab Total is Mu 16 + Co/An 7+7 (for Minor Magical Focus) + Int 1 + Magic Theory 6+ Aura 5 + Lab Bonus 2 + Inventive Genius 3 + Similar Spell Bonus 6 = 53. Sheelagh has 0 Int (due to being young), has 2 Magic Theory, as Fiona taught her the season before working on the spell, and has Inventive Genius as well. That brings is to 53 + Sheelagh's Magic Theory 2 + Sheelagh's Inventive Genius 3 + Paul's help 4 = 62. Add in Abagail's Magic Theory 5 + Int 3 + Inventive Genius 3 = 73.

Experimenting triggers Fiona's, Sheelagh's, AND Abagail's Inventive Genius turbo-boots, adding 3x3 = 9 to the Lab Total, for a Final Lab Total of 82, with no additional risk, and the spell is invented in one season.

Experimenting added a die roll of 5 to her lab total, bringing it to an 87. Rolling on the Extraordinary Results Chart: Die roll of 4 = No extraordinary effects.

Damn, Fiona rocks. And she feels like celebrating. Who wants to get drunk and yiff?

Also, what did Korvin want in exchange for Fiona borrowing his apprentice?

That Lab bonus seems really low. Viscaria's lab has General +4 Muto +4 = +8

Maybe I'm missing something. This is what I have in my metacreator:

Fiona's Lab
Owner: Fiona ex Miscellanea
Floor: Ground
Build Points: 40
Names Added to Sanctum Marker:
Size: +1 (1) [650 sq. ft.] Refinement: +0
General Quality: +1 Upkeep: +2
Safety: +3 Warping: +0
Health: +2 Aesthetics: +4
Virtues & Flaws

Lesser Feature (Minor Structure Virtue): Aesthetics: +1; Feature: Still; Muto: +1
Spacious (Minor Structure Virtue): Safety: +2; Aesthetics: +1
Dedicated Building (Free Structure Virtue): Upkeep: +1; Aesthetics: +1; Rego: +1
Idyllic Surroundings (Free Structure Virtue): Health: +2; Aesthetics: +1; Specialization: Herbam (+1)
Superior Construction (Free Structure Virtue): Safety: +1; Aesthetics: +1
Superior Equipment (Free Outfittings Virtue): General Quality: +1; Upkeep: +2; Safety: +1; Extracting Vis: +1
Undecorated (Minor Outfittings Flaw): Upkeep: -1; Aesthetics: -1; Note: Specializations with score of 2 or more reduced by 1
Specializations

+1 Extracting Vis
+1 Herbam
+1 Muto
+1 Rego
Features

Still: Type: Lesser

You're missing our free Superior Tools (+1 Safety +1 Items) for having a Toolmaker, which doesn't apply in this situation.

Comparing my notes, I see that I lump my Familiar's bonus into my Lab Bonus, which explains the difference.

Still, if you ever want a Tireless Wooden Servant, you let her know. It's just the like the other kind, only made out of wood instead of corpses. Way better.

Unless you happen to have a corpse you really want to punish...

Not that I know of whistles and looks way innocently

After Fiona's little...erm..."mishap" in the winter of '26, she's thinking that it might not be a bad idea to invent a spell to do what she tried to do. If nothing else, the Mastery she gains with her Flawless Magic would eliminate botches in any but the most extraordinary circumstances.

What she would like to do is invent a single spell that both reduces her size from +2 to 0 (8'11 to 5'2"), and remolds her features to the new and improved "Blanche."

Both effects not only are Muto Corpus, but use the same Guideline Level (3, "Utterly change the appearance or size of a person."). Since Preternatural Growth and Shrinking adds a magnitude for flexibility, since you can make the target larger or smaller, I'm of the opinion that this spell would do likewise (add a magnitude to both make the target smaller and to reshape her appearance).

So, going off that assumption, here's what the spell looks like, I think:

La Petite Mascarade (Muto Corpus 15)
[tab][/tab]R: Personal, D: Sun, T: Individual
[tab][/tab]This spell reduces Fiona to the size of a normal woman (5'2"/157 cm tall), while changing her appearance to that of a younger, more voluptuous version of herself.
[tab][/tab](Base 3, +2 Sun, +1 for target size, +1 to change both size and appearance)

Her Lab Total is Int 1 + Magic Theory 6 + Muto 17 + Corpus 15 + Paul 4 + Aura 5 + Lab Bonus 2 = 50, plus whatever Sheelagh brings to the table.

So, does this look right to you? And, if so, any ideas on what to do for a MuCo level 10 to burn those other LT levels?

We've had this discussion already :wink:. But if the spell is "fixed" so that it changes her into "Blanche", having only +1 mag for the appearance is fine with me :smiley:

So. Another MuCo spell? Eyes of the Cat?
What you could do, instead, with these 2 magnitudes, is to to add an Herbam and an Animal (or Terram, if forsaking animal products) requisite so as to have your clothes shrink down with you.

We have?

Already has it.

I could add an Herbam requisite, and just make sure that everything she wears is linen or cotton or something, but it would reduce her Lab Total. Adding an Animal requisite would also work (as long as it doesn't add a magnitude to the spell itself). Herbam drops her LT to 45, Animal to 42. Both are still more than twice the Spell Level of 15. Even adding a magnitude if the requisites require it would still enable her to invent it in a season.

Down to 42 + Sheelagh. I say you shift to Animal and start wearing Spidersilk clothing along with Viscaria. Actually, I think linen is much more appropriate for Fiona.

I also agree that if the spell is shrinking you down to one exact person, you don't need the +1 for complexity.

About a lower-level spell being able to do everything Disguise of the Transformed Visage does, and more.
As it is, the spell is fine IMO, because it doesn't have that same flexibility.

But yeah, add a animal requisite, and keeps your clothes! (Unless you want her to be slutty, that is :laughing: )
As Amul says, if she clothes in spidersilk, Fiona will look great!

???
It is like the spell that enlarges you, save that it can only shrink (so you skip the +1 magnitude for doing both enlarging and shrinking), but it also makes her into a "younger, more voluptuous version of herself". This is what the extra magnitude is for, and it is, IMO, warranted, since it does more than otherwise.

Right. I'm thinking the +1 because theh base Level 3 can do two different things (as I read it): to utterly change the appearance of a person, or to utterly change the size of a person. I'm assuming that to do both is more complex, and thus needs the added magnitude. I'm definitely willing to be persuaded otherwise, though :smiley: .

Is there another spell that has multiple base effects? This guideline is poorly worded. It would have been much simpler if it was changed to:
Level 3:
Utterly change the appearance of a person
Change the size of a person between (-2 to +1 in size).

So, yes, there are two base level effects for Level 3 Muto Corpus spells. +1 complexity is sufficient, IMO to incorporate two 1st magnitude effects into one spell, unless I can see a spell out there that combines two base level effects and contradicts this tentative tuling.

IIRC, not really, and I'm usually not a great fan of compound spells, since it seems to me like a way to shortcut spellcasting restrictions.

In this case, though, the effect seems smooth and clean to me instead of a patchwork of different effects (which would require different spells IMO), so I think it is fine.

Figure that? We all seem to agree! :laughing:

Scary, isn't it?

So, I'll go ahead and pencil that into her planner for Spring of 1228. And, with my new insight on how sigils work, I don't have to worry about her hair being white (I can just chalk that up to having a lower MT on her older spells, and tweak the sigil on her Raven's Form, since I don't think it's come into play; the Enhanced Curse of Circe I can leave as is, since it's based on an older spell with the same sigil.)