The Turn of the Tide (Autumn 1233, M)

Tiana nods. "I think Arachne is correct. Maybe we should ask the Council whether any magi here are interested in meeting with these Mallorcan magi and convince them to form an independent covenant, with Andorran sponsorship? If successful, that would prevent any Tribunal territory disputes, without risking our own neutrality."

Arachné laughs softly

You'd manipulate Barcelona and the Iberian tribunal into helping us strenghten our influence, all in the name of stopping provencal from encroaching on both our territories? Very well done.

Since we had skipped to the next week...

Roberto has been kicking around in the exercise yard practicing, observing the sword master, swapping war stories with the soldiers. If there are any magi who like to exercise, he will take the opportunity to strike up conversation and try and get a gauge on what is going on with whatever.
And he is always interested in discussing magical martial tactics :slight_smile:

Cidito is a mischief maker, and his curiosity combined with Wen's own reckless curiosity has turned them into a pair of explorers. They have been exploring the catacombs and caves beneath the covenant. Who knows what they find?

"Only if we're successful," she replies quietly. "That cat, Cidito, is trouble. Bernat doesn't like him, and I have learned to trust my dog's instincts. I'll ask the cat's magus whether they'll go; two birds, one stone."

To his surprise, he'll find an eager interlocutor in Arachné.

Although she's more into laying traps, misdirecting and waiting from a safe place than attacking, she's thought a lot about battling magical opponents. In a way, this is what she's all about.

Arachné pauses

Well, cats and dogs don't mix well, anyway.
I must say, so far, I find the master interesting, if maybe a little too... flamboyant for my tastes. And at least, his heart seems to be in the right place. So far, he looks like someone I'd trust in a fight, at least not to abandon me to die.
Hum... Maybe we could put him in charge of that chapterhouse. He seems experienced enough, and a good man. Also should Bernat prove right, trouble will happen far enough that we can contain it.

Why not do both? The safest place to wait is at home after your enemy is defeated. Though misdirection is good, and it is always wise to prepare the arena of battle with tricks and traps and advantages. And take advantage of the natural terrain. Position yourself on higher ground with the sun at your back. Force your enemy along a single approach and fill the ground with hazards. Make it muddy, littered with rocks and sharp stones, magical bombs even.
I need to advance my Terram magic. And my Aquam. I am well specialized in Ignem, but I do not seek any "bigger" fire spells so to say. I have my Pilium of Fire well mastered. I instead seek greater Penetration, and a broader diversity of spells that have a direct tactical advantage.
Your technique is also quite sound, and having a collection of many utilitarian items on hand at all times should probably be my next goal. Once I have my Arts rounded out.

Tiana will find an opportune time to pull Roberto aside and brief him on the Mallorca situation, and butter him up to go and claim the land FOR ANDORRA!

If your pitching, I'm batting :wink:
Now I am going with the following presumptions, so please correct any that are wrong so I may retcon.

• Roberto has been squatting in Ibiza, dwelling in an old tower because the people were grateful of his defense against pirates. Then Arnauf came along (High Noon in Evissa). Roberto's BS was just that, bs and bravado. He managed to play Arnauf long enough to get him to pass him pver, then he packed up and moved along.
  • Roberto is not yet a member of Andorra. He is a Vagabond magus in search of adventure.
  • Roberto may have been invited by Tiana or one of the other magi, or in fact he may be randomly and coincidentally visiting. Whatever ideas concerning possible membership he may have preconceived depends on many factors, but they are mostly irrelevant because his response to the offer is going to be the same (a positive one :slight_smile: )

A Chapterhouse, eh? I am a bit leery. I have had to deal with being part of a vassal covenant before, and the chapters in the Alps are always complaining of exploitation. But then again, the chapters of the Rhine seem content and those of Provencal have either great leeway or great support in a focused purpose.
So I suppose it depends on how you want to run it. I mean, how you want to run it will determine if I am willing to serve in an administrative role for you there. But in any case, I would be honored to be a member of ancient Andorra and to have an honest claim for residence in the islands. As long as the treatment is fair and the benefits are comparable to the requirements, I would agree to participate and lend my sword to your defense.

Arachné laughs
Ah, you're young and a brave warrior, while I'm an old woman who’ve never held a sword in her life. I prefer to be far away from my enemy when trouble arises, and lure him in a place where I'm no longer. Otherwise, we, of course, agree.

If Penetration is your problem, might I suggest you read some books on the subject? With even a simple sympathetic connection, such as your target's nickname, this'll prove quite useful. I've also heard of some Flambeau who draw blood with their mundane swords, before bolstering their magics with it. Since you seem quite proficient with a blade, you might surely use such a tactic.
As for me, I'll confess, I prefer to bring down my target's magical defenses, or bypass her defenses entirely. But penetration is always useful.

And you’re right when you talk about diversity. Improving your Aquam mastery, in particular, seems to me like a pretty neat idea. Wards against Heat and Flames are one of the most common spells in the order, and a high ignem magic resistance is quite common, due to that art’s popularity among warriors. To a lesser degree, the same goes for Terram, and even Herbam. But I’ve yet to see either of a mage throwing acid around, of a ward against it. Likewise, Aquam resistance is usually quite low. Mastering it could very well be a deadly surprise to your enemies.

For items, if I may suggest? You’ve sure got a lot of good ideas about what you need. I wouldn’t presume to advise you on this. But, since you seems much more likely than me to find yourself in the front line, I’d advise you to wear at all times an enchanted item, with 2 linked effects. One to monitor your health, the following to transport you to a safe place, should you be seriously wounded. Such an item could have saved one of my sodales’s life 

This compels me to bring you a warning. I know of at least 3 covenants, Andorra included, that were attacked by assailants unknown and brought down. I’m not sure for Andorra, but the 2 other cases were related. Wherether you stay here or go away, be careful: Something powerful may be striking at the order.

Though my arrival was delayed by my personal issues, I have indeed arrived to answer the call for assistance and to help build and protect this covenant. I am a Knight of Seneca of the Lineage of Delendos. The enemies of Andorra dare not attack again under my watch. And more than that, the enemies of the Order are my enemies as well. It s a pride and privilege to battle against them.

Now as for tactics, I am diversifying my attack styles. Fire is a classic, and I have learned cold spells too. Not sure about the acid. Creeps me out. But the physical force of a blast of water is not to be laughed at. And daggers of ice are a good option to have on hand. Four more things I need to do: invent my own version of the Invisible sling with greater force and perhaps one that can throw knives as well, I need a Terram ward that protects against attacks of steel and stone, I want to invent a Ward against Cold and Frost as well. Then I need to learn that Incantation of Lightning your pontifex is famous for. School of Pietro I think?
As for penetration, strong knowledge of such always helps. as does Mastery and having high Art scores. But what is even more effective is designing a charged device. A ring of fire, a wand of cold, a dagger that causes heart attacks, stuff like that. But I was also thinking along the lines of paralysis traps and knock-out gas. Deadly force is best reserved for when survival demands no other option. Don't think I have ever out and out executed anyone or cut down one who yields. I would if I had to, in order to safeguard the future or administer justice. But honestly, I don't like killing. Not squeamish about it. You do what you got to do. But it is best to have an alternative. That is why Flambeau the Founder came up with the "Join or Die" policy, so he had an excuse to be merciful.
:neutral_face:
:laughing:
Bwahahahahahaha!!!!
No, I don't really believe that either. That is what Santiago used to tell me. He is my mentor, you may have heard of him. We fought in the Shadow Wars together.

"Negotiate on our behalf; you have seniority here over any of us, status or no... if we can't trust you, there's no one we can trust. Check in with Carmen first so she doesn't have a fit. She'll bluster and probably make a whole lot of pointless unnecessary demands, but remind her that we need them much more than they need us. If you need any help with travel arrangements, let me know. And one more thing? If I find my dog tied up in a burlap sack again, you'll both swim to Mallorca." She gives Cidito an angry glare.

I am not sure what you want me to negotiate or exactly what you are up to. If you could go into more exacting depth, I would be grateful.
As for status and seniority, I have neither. Though I have earned some modicum of acclaim within my House, I have yet to garner ant true prestige or accolades. And I am not as senior as you may think. But regardless, I do have some success as an expedition leader and I did negotiate the commune rights for Novus Mane.
So just what is it you expect of me? And what sort of support can I expect of you?

Roberto looks surprised and is a little put off at first. But then he thinks about what sort of trouble that cat is capable of, especially when drunk...
(transmitted via thought)
Anything you care to explain?
I have no idea what she's talking about.
Really?
Nothin'! Honest, I remember nothing about that night.
About what night?
I don't remember what night. There was no night. It never happened.
What never happened?
Nothing never happened! I mean nothing happened. I mean I didn't do anything. Except I wanted to see what happened if I could get the dog drunk the other night. Then I got drunk. Then I woke up the next morning on a beach in Egypt. I walked home in my usual way. I have no idea how the dog wound up in the sack nor did I see it to confirm it was true. She just started yelling at me about it when she saw me next when I came by to play with the pup again.

Sodale, I would like to profusely apologize for the behavior of my familiar. I will gladly make reparations for any damage he has caused.
As for transportation, I have my flying carpet and I own a medium sized ship. My helmsman is quite capable. What I do need though is clear direction. What am I negotiating? What is the goal?
And what kind of support am I to be provided? I have my own small staff, and a contact with regional mundane authorities. I could use some funds for customary gifts and perhaps to hire some locals and gain their favor.
(thinking of hiring/bribing Arnau)

"What we want is for their covenant to remain Tribunal-neutral. If that means signing them on under Andorra's umbrella, by all means let's offer them sponsorship, but if you can get them to sever ties with Provence without us having to give them anything, all the better. As far as funds go, you'll have to work that out with Carmen, she's the treasurer."

(I had totally missed this thread. Reading it tomorrow and replying if Arnau is around).
(Marko, it is Arnau, without the final F :wink:).

Well then, I would suppose that I should ask you to introduce me to Carmen.
And to play her, forcing me to deal with the monster I created :laughing:
And she ain't getting my flying carpet!

Corrected it. I suppose you would have to check with Ryu, but if you are willing to ride along on his flying carpet, you are welcome by Roberto to have tagged along.

No, Arnau is already spoken for. :slight_smile:

Very well then. Roberto meets with Carmen (hopefully introduced and built up first).
Madam Pontifex, salve sodale, it is a privilege to meet with you. I am Roberto Rodriguez of Flambeau, Knight of Seneca, at your service. Mistress Tiana has invited me to petition for membership as a Journeyman, and requests that the service I am to perform involves the magi gathering in the Balearic Islands. I am sure you are aware of the situation and the range of options I was given for resolution. I am familiar with the region, having recently been residing in Ibiza. There I encountered a mercenary captain, a hedge wizard with claims to Hermetic ties and a contract from the king to scourge any Moslem wizards from the land. We had a confrontational conversation, but eventually settled down to eating and drinking for awhile. During the calmer conversation he made mention that his services could be obtained for a price. This could be used to give us some leverage and an inside contact with temporal authorities.

Wait, you want me to play Carmen? Herpaderp...

"Tiana requests...? I don't know who that uppity bitch thinks she is, handing out invitations and assignments like she runs the place, and I don't know who you think you are coming in here like a-- wait. IS THAT A FLYING CARPET?"