The Vis Hunters (Summer 1232)

(Vocis isn't responding because Peregrine's last two posts have me confused as to Vibria's intent. I'm just going to assume Vocis is equally confused and see how it plays out.)

Three way split?!?
Why I...dagnabbit...fine! Three way split.

((Don't worry...the chick with the rack has a plan. Vocis may not like it, but she has a plan.))

[color=red]"Don't worry, I'm sure that we'll still have more than we will be able to spend in our lifetime," Vibria says with a smile.

[color=red]"Now...lead on!"

Sun sets in about ten minutes. We can wait until then and recast our Parma Magica and I can reset the gate.
And presuming so, he leads you all off thataway towards dragon territorry

Vibria doesn't have much in the way of buff spells, but she is well-armoured and has a pouch full of small stones (no bigger than the size of her thumb or so).

Unless Vocis wants to buff her right quick.

Lord Featherbottom leads you through a shortcut around the mountains that you never realized was there. Basically, what would have normally taken a few days of walking takes only a few hours. He briefly mentions Wilderness Lore in passing conversation. You eventually recognize where you are, this is indeed dragon territory. The protected area. Featherbottom points to a cave over yonder in a low sunken valley. Steam and foul smoke rises up from it.
I've tracked them to that cave before, and watched them several times as they hauled whatever salvage and carcasses in there to add them to their stash. Ogres and goblin gold, that doesn't bother me. But I say them haul a wagon down in there once, and the fierce one flung a fully armored dead knight in there once.
They don't lair here, and I think they often roam separately. But they do meet here altogether periodically, at least every two or three nights. And right now I can tell at least one of them is in there. The smoke rising out, roasting their prey.
So, what's the plan then?

Sure, though he's starting with The Silent Conversation so they can discuss the plan. I'm getting the impression you don't expect this guy to survive the fight with the drakes. Are you planning to attack him directly or just fail to assist him?

After they finish the conversation, he'll cast Gift of the Bear's Fortitude on both of them. Wizard's Sidestep is probably still active on both of them due to Vocis's Enduring Magic, but if not he'll recast them. He'll also cast Eyes of the Eagle on himself.

off in the distance, if one listens carefully...

[size=50]growf[/size]

((This may be locking the barn door after the horse is gone, but is the math on The Silent Concentration right? It's not broken down on Vocis's character sheet, and it's not on the New Spells page. Sight is +3, Concentration is +1, so that's 4 magnitudes over whatever the base is. InMe is base 15 for "Speak with any one human," while base 3 for CrMe is "Form words in another's mind." Take the higher base (15), probably add a magnitude for making two-way instead of one-way makes it 20, +4 magnitudes is 40. If we go the other way, which I personally wouldn't, that gives us Base 3, +1 for two-way, +4 mags gives me 20. What am I missing? I really don't want to respond yet until I find out just what this spell does and whether it penetrates. I suspect it does just what it says on the tin, but still...))

After some search, it's from the Net Wizard's GrimoireThe Silent Conversation CrMe (req: In) 30 R: Sight, D: Concentration, T: Individual While the caster concentrates, they can form words directly into the mind of anyone within sight. The caster can also hear the responses (by virtue of the Intellego requisite) by listening to the surface thoughts of the target. The target recognises your voice and knows the message is of supernatural origin. Judia of Tremere developed this spell so that she could coach or direct her consortis when he was speaking to mundanes on her behalf. Given her gift, this allowed her to remain back from the conversation whilst still having control over any terms of deals or bargains struck. (B: 3, R: Sight +3, D: Concentration +1, T: Individual; Requisite +1, Elaborate effect +2)
And you are right: As as often there, it shouldn't work as written, and should use the higher base 15 for reading a person's surface thoughts, being at best like this:
In(Cr) Me Base 15, +3 sight, +1 conc, +1 req = lvl 40.
I've put a note on the spell wiki

I think the best solution is to giving vocis the version above, with the missing 5 levels being "for free" (I don't see the need elaborate effect here, not with D: Conc).
Another solution, have Vocis take the Silent Conspiraty instead (CrMe 15, same thread), and get 15 spells level back.

I'll leave it up to the troupe, though Vocis doesn't need Silent Conspiracy. He has a CrIm miniature spell that does almost the same thing. Speaking of which...

Let's rewind this a bit. Instead of Silent Conversation, Vocis will cast Silent Shout boosted to Diameter duration for a total of CrIm 15. This creates the illusion of his voice directly on Vibria's ears, in such a way that no one else can hear what's being said (see HoH:Societates p. 68). That reduces his silent options to yes/no questions, so let's try these...

Are you really going to let this guy kill the drakes? (If the answer is yes, I guess we're done. If not...)
Are you going to attack him directly? (If no...)
Are you going to pretend to help while the drakes defeat him? (in either case...)
Are you planning to kill him?

For penetration, Vocis is casting this while Vibria's Parma is down, since that's when he was casting the buff spells. Otherwise his penetration is 21 plus a roll.

Vibria snorts her derision at the concept. [color=red]"Fsssh yeah, right."

Vibria shakes her head no.

Vibria nods yes with a shrug.

Vibria shakes her head no.

such sweet twisted fun :smiling_imp:

Lord Featherbottom strokes his beard as he considers the plan.
Okay, I have seen you cast illusions, and I remember you saying you're a Flambeau maga (nodding at Vocis and Vibria in turn). I figure the fire maga and I can charge in first, and you can back us up with illusions. Distort our location, make us menacing. Can you do invisibility? The dragon will be immune to fire, but I am guessing you can handle that? If you guys back me up, I think I am tough enough to handle one of them in single combat.
(dramatic pause)
Just give me the word, mis Flambeau maga, and I will charge into glory alongside thee!!!

[color=red]"Very well, then. Show us the way to where these drakes have hidden themselves. It will be memorable, indeed!" Vibria says with a grin.

Lord Featherbottom nods, and starts marching towards the cave, never looking behind him to check how close you are (or if you even follow). He trusts you :smiling_imp:
At about thirty paces away from the cave, he stops as he watched Venkath crawl from the cave...
Growf?

Vibria stops a couple of paces behind Featherbottom. [color=red]"Aren't you a magnificent beast?" she says in Catalan..

Venkath looks puzzled, Lord Featherbottom shouts his war cry and assumes his Owlbear form, Venkath inhales, Featherbottom Fast Casts a Wizard's Leap, [size=150]GROWF[/size] (Venkath's fiery gout misses Featherbottom, and it falls short of Vibria. Featherbottom appears above Venkath, poised to land upon him with full fury and attack.

Things are going to get ugly.
Do either of you do anything?

Sorry, long holiday...trying to catch up...

I'm afraid my invisibility spell won't work on you in owlbear form due to your size. I will be invisible for the battle, though.
((I don't know if that's right, but the bottom line is Vocis isn't casting it on this guy and he's looking for a reasonable excuse.))

Vocis tells the grogs to stay back so they don't get incinerated. He also casts Veil of Invisibility on himself and positions himself off to the side, out of the direct line of fire.

Yes. Vocis is going to cast Visions of Hell at Venkath. But!!! he's going to 'botch horribly', 'accidentally' causing our valiant comrade to be targeted instead, followed by Vocis spending the rest of the fight 'resisting Twilight'. He'll feel terrible about it afterward and apologize profusely. If Featherbottom lives, anyway.

So, Visions of Hell on Featherbottom...Sta 1 + aura 3? + Cr 10 + Im 20 + roll 9 = 43 + Penetration 2 + Confidence = 48, penetration 23. Duration is Diameter plus Enduring Magic.

I'm assuming that Featherbottom is still in human form.

Vibria casts Invisible Sling of Volano (CT 11 + die roll of 8 = 19 +/- Aura. Her Aiming roll (target: Featherbottom, as he should be close enough to Venkath that she can just go "whoops" if he survives) is Per 0 + Finesse 0 + die roll of 6 = 6.

Oh...and Initiative is Qik 1 + Finesse 0 + die roll of 2 = 3. Lovely.