The Voyage home (fall 1220)

That is twice now you have impugned my honor, yet I am willing to let it go. I have told you what I know, that she did run by here, and there is no where else she could have gone in the few seconds before you arrived. I certainly took no action to help along. Even if I had the slightest inclination to help her, I was busy with my own tasks.

To the guard, "I will not fight you, what is it you wish to know?

He will move closer to the guard and away from Talus, hoping to focus their attention on him.

Talus can't understand a word that's being said, but he can tell that things are starting to go south by the tone in the priest's voice. Still, he holds off on taking any offensive action, looking to Paphos for his cue that things have deteriorated to the point where something drastic has to be done.

OOC: I'm trying to play this straight. Talus has no idea that the priest just ordered the soldier to detain us.

Paphos is about two seconds away from giving you the nod. They are spending far too much time hassling us while she is (presumably) getting away, given that there wasn't any time for anyone to have done something hinkey. So if they are intent on actually taking us somewhere, we are all to likely to take her place and never be seen from again.

When you neither surrender nor offer resistance the armed man grabs Paphos by the arm and starts pulling him down the street the direction they came from. The "young man" who is with you appears to be getting nervous, and the priest sees this "What about you young man? Did you see where the filthy Moorish girl fled?"
It is apparent she recognizes the tone but not the words.

Paphos will nod to Talus, he officially needs help now.

While the priest has his attention on the 'boy' and the soldier on Paphos, Talus steps as much out of view as he can, makes some odd gestures with his hands, and speaks a few mystical words, following it up with a comment in High German to the effect that the boy is from the German states and doesn't speak Italian. The words and gestures are made to summon power to try and put the soldier to sleep.

Spontaneously cast Call to Slumber (ReMe 10) on the soldier:
CT = [20 (Re) + 5 (Me) + 2 (Sta) - 5 (soft words) + Stress Die]/2 = [SD + 22/]/2 = Stress die: 1D10+22 = [8]+22 = 30/2 = 15

BTW, the idea to follow up the casting with High German is to try and mask the soft words and make it look like he just said something in German.

The soldier falls asleep:
attempt at subterfuge: Talus has Com:0+Guile:2+die roll (1&8=16)=18
priests perception: per:-2+guile:0+die roll:7=5
the priest doesn't notice that you knocked out his man with magic. Instead he starts kicking his armsman "Are you drinking on the job? Wake up you lazy bum!" He sighs "I should have brought the dogs."

While the priest is focused on the soldier, Paphos will casually fade back out out sight.

But.... this is the kind of situation where his poor quickness would apply. He's likely to take a few seconds to evaluate the situation before stepping back. Once he makes up his mind, though, he should be quite graceful in his exit (dex+5).

Talus grabs the 'boy' by the arm and tries to duck away as well. If he can link up with Paphos, all the better. But if it isn't possible, the other man knows where they're staying and the two can always meet up there later. Right now it was more important to get away from this priest before he wakes the soldier up. If he can get out of sight again for any extended period of time, the magus will change his and the girl's appearance again into that of a middle-aged couple dressed in travelling clothes. From there he looks to get back onto the street so they can be just another couple walking around Pisa.

The three f you can casually make your get away as the priest is clearly flustered and focused on trying to rouse his man at arms. As the crisis clears it is also clear there is something vaguely detestable about the priest, similar to the way the Gift affects people, but not aided by parma, perhaps connected to a different realm.

Eventually you find yourselves with the girl, well away from the situation and wearing new disguises.

"That was decidedly unpleasant," Talus observes once they're in a place of safety. Then he looks at the girl and places a hand on her shoulder, muttering the incantations necessary to extend his Parma to her.

"Now that things are calmed down," he says to Paphos, "perhaps you should ask her what that was all about."

Assuming the question is asked:
"Three years ago, pirates attacked my home, they killed my father and took my mother and I. I do not know where my mother is, but they brought me here and sold me to the man in black, who would talk to me in languages I did not know, and then punish me for not doing as he asked. At first he only beat me, but over time he became more cruel, and gave me to the dogs for their pleasure as he watched, sprinkling water around afterwards and chanting. I am most grateful for your help in escaping him, and I must ask if there is anything I can do to repay this debt before I return to kill him."

"Tell her that for my part, she owes me nothing," Talus replies. "Any day I can save someone from what is clearly a diabolist, I count as a good day."

"But I wonder," he continues. "Has she considered her plan? Killing him will not be easy if he has guards and the protection of the Church. How does she plan to get close enough to him to kill him without risking being recaptured and again suffering her previous fate?" The magus says nothing to try and convince the girl to abandon her ultimate goal of revenge.

Paphos will translate for the pair, a little shaken.

"I agree, that is as clear an infernalist as I've ever imagined, did you feel the psychic grease rolling off of him? Fortunately for us and our newfound companion, we happen to know a Venatore. Did perhaps Antonius mention his avocation to you?"

To the woman, after introducing themselves, "What is your name, and do you have a trade or other means to fend for yourself? If not, you are welcome to accompany us on our journey. As it turns out we have a mutual acquaintance who will be fascinated to hear your story of this false priest. And help you do something permanent about him. Where do you hie from? I'd guess based on your coloration and tongue perhaps one of the islands? Sardinia, maybe, or Sicily?

"I also think we should immediately book passage on the ship leaving tonight.

"I agree," Talus replies. "We should take her with us if we can. She'll get herself killed if she stays here. Revenge can come later."

This is the next morning, and the coast hugging ship has departed, the next available one is tomorrow
She wants to stay and get her revenge, but the possibility of getting help intrigues her. "I have no way to make a living, my father took care of me, and prepared me to find a good husband while my mother taught me to take care of the home and oversee the servants. I was not worried about such things though, I figured I would die killing the priest, or shortly afterwards."

"I can't speak for your covenant, of course," Talus says when Paphos translates the girl's comments. "But it seems cruel to leave her here to die attempting to kill that foul diabolist. Could you not find a place for her in Malta?"

"Yes, we actually desperately need people, but given what she's been through, we should be cautious. I'm sure Antonius can assist with evaluating her, and we really should get his help dealing with that false priest, lest his predations continue. The most important thing for her I think, is to have a choice, something that has been taken from her for far too long.

Regardless, our first priority is to make an escape, then all other possibilities may be examined.

To the girl, "You are safe now, as long as you leave this place for the nonce. If you truly desire the dual embrace of vengeance and oblivion, we will not hinder you. If you choose the harder path of healing and life, we can assist you in finding a new home and trade.

"If I go with you, I can still have my justice, and this Antonio may help me get it?"

As you are talking you notice a girl being dragged by the arm by what appears to be a very tired and frazzled mother, "I don't care if he thought I was weird, I don't want to be a blacksmith anyways! Besides, he wouldn't let me keep Sparks!"

GM charater edit- soot speaks Itallian, not German, both players (soot and Sparks) can feel free to jump in now.