As we discussed before the holiday season, we need additional players if we want this saga to take off.
I want to share some thoughts and get the feedback of the current players before I make an announcement that we are looking for more players.
My recent thoughts about running a successful PbP saga is that we need:
- Enough players for the saga to achieve a level of activity that is self-sustaining;
- A significant proportion of those players need to be ready to be Beta storyguides, to avoid overwhelming the Alpha storyguide (me);
- Some in-character reason that allows magi to join or leave the covenant without long notice, to make it easier to deal with turnover.
The current structure of the saga, however, makes a few things difficult. The small size of the covenant site tend to limit the number of magi. Furthermore, having all the members be members of House Bonisagus really stretches the believability of having numerous young magi pass through here.
So I'd like to suggest the following changes to the nature of the covenant and saga:
- The covenant is no longer constituted as a single-House covenant. So new magi from all Houses would be allowed to join.
- The site is bigger that originally imagined. Or maybe there are some labs outside, either instead or adjacent to the brewery? The cave is no longer in a regio, just a cave beneath the brewery?
- When the covenant is created, it was dedicated to investigating disappearence of House Merinita. This means that, although not all the magi need to have such an investigation as a primary interest, they are at least intrigued by that disappearance (or they are faking it).
- As part of the "House Loyalty" theme, we could specify that each of the magus or maga is secretly reporting to his House as to the progress of the investigation, and possibly the other goings-on of the covenant. (Concern: Would this cause too much distrust between the magi?)
What do you think? Do you have additional suggestions?