Three magus archetypes I don't know how to do

I personally like combining Summoning (RoP:tI), which may be Magic and Tainted rather than Infernal, with Leadworker (HoH:TL). Then focus on being really good with ReVi since Summoning can work off of those instead of Summoning/Realm Lore. ReVi will also be good for wards you might want to put up, as well as being two great Arts individually.

Yes, you can create magical animals that have Intelligence. There is an example to create a dragon. Imbued with the Spirit of Animal (RoP:M) is really handy for saving vis, but you want to work well with these animals so its drawback can be a big issue. Mercurian Magic can also save a lot of vis. Doing Group spells will also help. Attaching Alluring to Animals/Magical Beings and Inoffensive to Animals/Magical Beings (HoH:MC) can let you lead them really well without any spells, too. As for animating objects, there is the core ReHe guideline that animates objects well, and we have examples of awakening trees.

Yup. I've done a variant: carve an animal from wood, cast a spell to turn it into the actual animal that has been carved (and maintain this), cast a spell to control it (and maintain this), etc. In this case it wasn't really a material beast in a container, but the shrunken thing became a material beast. But you could also control animals, give them abilities, and shrink them down and trap them. Look at the core Animal guidelines for controlling animals, shrinking them, and giving them powers.

5 Likes

For summoning, using only Hermetic spells, you need an arcane connection to the being you summon. A True Name can serve as an arcane connection, but is not the only possibility - which is good because lots of beings don't have a True Name.

Summoning spells need to be realm-specific, but do not need to be specific to a specific creature.

I suggest you take a look at the section on Apotropaic spells in RoP:tI for examples. The spells there are all about demons, but most of them should be easy to adopt for the other realms.
The spell guidelines in RoP:M p111 should also be useful.

There are also several variants of the Summoning ability. See TC&TC p31 for a summary of them.

Yeah, the only sort of hermetic summoning spells that need to be specific to a particular being that I am aware of are the “Invoke the Pact with (Daimon)” spells. Others need to be realm specific and, perhaps, form specific for those spells that use forms other than vim, think “Summon the Faerie Spirit of the Woods” which would use ReHe.

Actually, I believe that's not (necessarily) the case. For example, a Rego Ignem spell to summon spirits of fire will summon any spirit of fire, whether magical, infernal, faerie or divine (as long as it is affected by Hermetic magic, of course). Rego Vim can cover a lot of ground, including summoning things that are associated to another Form (e.g. spirits of fire); those spells need to be Realm specific. See TMRE p.28.

So ... it's not entirely clear cut how wide summoning can be. But roughly speaking, you can definitelly summon one "class" of things per spell, narrower than a Form but significantly wider than a single target. For example, a single spell can summon any animal you have an arcane connection to.

Yeah, I think you are right about that.

If you want to summon animals, there's an Ex Misc tardition that does that, or you could just take their supernatural ability.

Imbuing items or animals with Intelliegence is Muto effect,, so it can't be permanent, but you could enchant the item/animal as a magical item.

You can use Muto spells to shrink and change the shape of an animal, use this to give them a ball shape, or a miniature animal shape, made out of various materials, like the Figurines of Wondrous Power from D&D. to control it, you'd need a Rego spell as well, but it is doable.

Page 28 and 29 of the Mysteries, I believe, has the basic summoning magic. A magus first must summon the being with one spell, and then coerce it with a second spell. Rego Vim, with a separate version for Magic, Faerie, Divine, or Infernal is needed per type of supernatural being you wish to command and control. Happy summoning!

I like you options!

I see the creating life and summon things is not so difficult, that make me happy.

About the pokemon master, I was thinking, could you use the Muto (Form) Imaginem to make them species and store the species in some type of container with Rego Imaginem?

Well, it could be if done differently, especially if the troupe plays through Calebais.

The ArM5 p.116 box guideline to create a magical beast is level 50 - and this guideline is used when creating magical creatures like an ArM5 p.193 wolf and an ArM5 p.194 dragon in HP p.126 Creating Magical Creatures:

The Order of Hermes has spells that create magical animals, causing the lazy-
minded to think that finding a magical animal is a needless bother. Correct to
a degree, the rub is that such rituals are always high-magnitude ritual spells, and the time spent researching and inventing one of these rituals could be spent gathering a multitude of different types of creature. These rituals are creature-specific, in that a Creo Animal spell with an Ignem requisite designed to create a salamander will not create another magical beast that may also be aligned with Ignem. A spell that creates a magic animal is always a ritual, and cannot be instilled in an enchanted device. For the magical animal to have magical powers, requisites need to be included, based on the Form of the individual powers, and Vim is always a requisite.
If the beast is intelligent — having an Intelligence Characteristic instead of Cunning — the ritual needs a Mentem requisite.

EDIT: This also makes sure, that PC covenants don't turn regularly into computing centres before their time, where lots of magically created little intelligences slave away on tasks like processing texts or images.

I think you mean Mentem effect - and there's no immediate reason it can't be lasting.

EDIT: Oh, @OneShot already quoted the source.

Tmk imbuing existing mundane items or animals with intelligence is a violation of their essential nature (ArM5 p.79f), hence requires Muto and must be maintained. Magical things (RoP:M p.119ff) and animals can of course have Intelligence from the beginning.

So @Red-Shadow-Claws is about right there.

1 Like

Again, the books show otherwise for what Red-Shadow-Claws said, while you made an exception so your statement is correct. Look at p.92 of Broken Covenant of Calebais. As a breakthrough it doesn't make it available in every game, but this is a canonical option that need not be maintained and uses CrMe rather than Muto.

is an oxymoron :wink:.

Awakening Animals in the adventure CTBC declares (in 2004) Iermyra's breakthrough as Hermetic - while the meaning of breakthroughs in general and "Hermetic Breakthrough" in particular are only defined in HoH:TL (2005).

As the Limit of Essential Nature (ArM5 p.79f) is a major limit, a breakthrough removing it in a relevant case by HoH:TL p.27 indeed needs to be an Hermetic Breakthrough at least, so should be treated in a saga as such.

This should help to fill in the many gaps in the first paragraph of Awakening Animals, which describes how to track the breakthrough - if the breakthough shall be made available in a saga.

Not really. If you use that adventure (why I qualified it with "if the troupe plays through Calebais") it has been done in your saga. Meanwhile, it's showing that this can potentially be done in any saga without using Muto. Besides which, HoH:MC also has a related method that is lasting, doesn't need Muto, and is canonical.

As you yourself pointed out just above, this doesn't break the Limit of Essential Nature.

Did I? Not here.

Yup:

If this method were for mundane animals, it would be a whole other thing. But as you noted, that is not the case for magical animals, which is what this method applies to. That's the qualification bit I mentioned that is so significantly different between what you and Red Shadow Claws said.

I see. Thank you! Rereading Awakening Animals, this indeed is the case!
And we know from familiars, how magical animals can get Intelligence through Hermetic Magic.

So CTBC's Awakening Animals is just extending the Hermetic concept of familiars a little bit - and is of very little interest for this thread!

I thought it (and HoH:MC's related version) would be potentially useful for concept #2, where the goal is to create intelligent life, possibly giving intelligence to existing things. The Calebais method especially can be a good way to create intelligent life because they can breed true. When someone's asking for how to do something, I think it's useful to point out methods mentioned in the books that do just so. Don't you? The OP may not want to use that method, preferring another, but is that any reason to be so dismissive of my pointing out something that could well fit what the OP wants? I'm trying to provide options that are available, not shut them down.

2 Likes

I seem to remember it being much easier to create a faerie if you have initiated the appropriate virtue.

If you just need a magical slave see elementals out of RoP:M. Bonus, they are not sentient as the term is normally understood.

You can also summon Djinn, the original Pokemon, see TC:TC, though expect to pay enough vis that just hiring mundanes makes more sense.

1 Like