Timeline and environs of Triamore

Regional map

TIMELINE

In parentheses, the age of the character at the time.
For the Popes and some characters it is (Age at time of ascension to the Papal title/age of death)

1096 – 1099 First Crusade. In 1095 Alexios I Komnenos requested military support from the Council of Piacenza for the Byzantine army in the fight with the Seljuk Turks. Later that year at the Council of Clermont, Pope Urban supported this and exhorted war. Peter the Hermit leads the People's Crusade. Transitting through Germany they indulged in wide-ranging anti-Jewish activities and massacres. On leaving Byzantine-controlled territory in Anatolia they were annihilated in a Turkish ambush. More organized (Language/ethnic) contingents follow them. Capture of Jerusalem and establishment of the Crusader states. Godfrey of Bouillon, duke of Lower Lorraine is the first king of Jerusalem.

1120 – 39. Count Lucien of Namur (44 – 63) builds the castle of Triamore ( 3 loves , in reference to his love of the Holy Trinity) as the keystone of his project to contest the title of Landgrave of Brabant in Lower Lorraine. The castle starts being called Lucien's Folly after he bankrupts himself with the project. The moniker sticks. (Historical note: the real noble would have been Godfrey I , but we will keep the name of Lucien for simplicity)

1139 Henry IV “the blind” of Luxembourg (27/84) becomes ruler of Namur after Count Lucien’s demise.

1139 Second Lateran Council. Addressed clerical discipline (dress, marriages).

1142 Godfrey III (0/48) Duke of Lower Lorraine Landgrave of Brabant

1142 Celestine II (58/59) elected pope

1144 Lucius II (65/66) elected pope

1144 Loss of the County of Edessa to the Turks.

1145 Eugenius III (44/52) elected pope

1146 After the fall of Edessa Pope Eugenius III (45) calls for a second crusade. Bernard of Clairvaux spreads the message that the loss was the result of sinfulness. Preaching of the Cistercian monk, Rudolf, initiates more massacres of Jews in the Rhineland.

1147 – 1150 Second Crusade. Louis VII of France and Conrad OOO of Germany. Crusade is unsuccessful. They take Damascus, but do not succeed in taking it. Distrust between crusaders, stablished crusading states and Byzantines.

1147 Henry II of Limburg (28) becomes duke of Limbourg

1153 Anastasius IV (80/81) elected pope

1153 Crusades: Loss of Ascalon. Nur ad Din unides Aleppo and Damascus as a single political entity and threatens Jerusalem.

1154 Adrian IV (54/59) elected pope

1054 East–West Schism of the Church.

1155 Frederick I Barbarossa (Staufen) (35) elected Emperor.

1158 Triamore Covenant founded .

1158 Godfrey VIII (16) Duke of Lower Lorraine and Landgrave of Brabant marries Margaret of Limbourg, and unites 2 powerful and traditionally antagonistic factions (for a while).

1159 Alexander III (59/81) elected pope. Opposed by 4 antipopes during his reign (Victor IV, Paschal III, Callixtus III, Innocent III)

1167 – 1168 Godfrey III/VIII (Landgrave of Brabant and Count of Louvain) (25) and Henry IV of Luxembourg (55) at war. The landgrave of Brabant attempts to force Bois de Haillot to provide support. Resistance sours relation with the Landgrave (father of the future duke Henry I of Brabant). Note: Namur owes fealty to Henry IV in this phase, but henry IV owes fealty to Godfrey III for his Namur lands.

1170 Henry IV of Luxembourg (58) and Baldwin IV, of Hainaut (62) make war with Henry III of Limburg (30).

1171 Baldwin V count of Hainaut (21).

1172 Henry IV of Luxembourg (60) and Baldwin V of Hainaut (22) make war with Henry III of Limburg (32) again and Godfrey VIII (30) Duke of Lower Lorraine and Landgrave of Brabant. Luxembourg and Hainaut victory. Environs of Arlon devastated.

1172 The war between Brabant-Limburg and Hainault-Luxembourg spills into the issue of who rules the County of Namur. Count Henry III of Limburg (32) sends an army into Southern Namur. Henry IV of Luxembourg (60) fortifies his possessions in Namur. Triamore, is raided twice. An occupying force from Limbourg arrives in summer 1172. Plea to Frederick Barbarossa confirms the neutrality of Triamore. Bois de Haillot looted.

1179 Third Council of the Lateran restricts papal election to the cardinals, condemns simony, and introduced minimum age for ordination (thirty for bishops).

1181 Lucius III (84/88) elected pope

1183 Folmar of Karden (43) as Archbishop of Trier. He is the candidate of the duke of Limbourg. Opposes and is opposed by Emperor Frederick Barbarossa (61). Rudolf of Wied elected instread as antipope. Contorl of the trier territory is for Rudolf, not Folmar, that is recognized by the Pope, but never rules his land. The reis widespread conflict in the archbishropic until 1189, when Folmar dies.

1182 Godfrey VIII Duke of Lower Lorraine and Landgrave of Brabant goes on crusade.

1183 Creation of the Duchy of Brabant, that substitutes de facto the Duchy of Lower Lorraine. Henry I, first Duke of Brabant (17).

1183-1197 The Duke of Brabant makes war with (in several separate moments):

1185 Urban III (65/67) elected pope

1186 Ermesinde of Luxemburg born. This jeopardizes the promise of inheritance to Baldwin V of Hainaut, (35) that had been promised Namur from Henry IV of Luxembourg (74) (his brother in law).

1187 Gregory VIII (87) elected pope and dies in 57 days. Clement III (57/61) elected pope.

1187 Battle of Hattin and fall of Jerusalem. Guy of Lusignan and the other nobility of Jerusalem captured by Saladin. Clement III issues the papal bull Audita tremendi that calls for the Third Crusade.

1188 It is decided that Baldwin V of Hainaut will inherit Namur and Ermesinde will inherit Durbuy, La Roche, and Luxembourg.

1189 Baldwin V of Hainaut (38) receives Namur from Henry IV of Luxembourg (77) (his brother in law).

1189 Baldwin V (38) of Hainault (1170+), Margrave of Namur (1189+) and Count of Flanders (1191+)

1189 – 1192 Third Crusade. Holy Roman Emperor Frederick I (66) dies crossing a river and only a few of his men reached their destination. King Richard I of England travels by sea and captures Cyprus from Isaac Komnenos. He later sells it to Guy of Lusignan. The arrival of the French and Angevins turns the tide in the conflict, and the Muslim garrison of Acre surrenders. Philip considers his vow fulfilled and returns to France, leaving most of his forces behind. Richard recaptures Jaffa, but the crusaders lack the resources to attack and hold Jerusalem. Negotiated three-year truce The Crusader states survive, confined to a narrow coastal strip.

1190 John I (50) elected Archbishop of Trier. He reorganizes the archdiocese (in ecclesiastical and secular aspects), fortifies Trier and acquires several castles. He also creates a reckoning of all the properties of the Diocese (similar to the Domesday book).

1190 Fire. Death of Forba.

1190 death of Emperor Frederick Barbarossa (66) crossing a river while on crusade. Henry VI (25) (stauffen) elected Emperor.

1190 Henry I, the first Duke of Brabant (24) comes to take possession of Lucien’s Folly after the death of the Emperor. Triamore besieged by 200 mercenaries until charter confirmed to be still valid by Henry VI (25). Some collaborators among the peasants put to the sword.

1190 Baldwin V of Hainaut (39) fights a war with his uncle, Henry IV of Luxembourg (78) to establish Namur as an independent polity from Luxembourg.

1191 Celestine III (85/92) elected pope.

1191 Albert of Louvain (25) elected Bishop of Liege against the Emperor’s will. He is the brother of Henry I, first Duke of Brabant (26) and son of Godfrey VIII the recently deceased Count of Louvain and Duke of Lower Lorraine. Baldwin V of Hainaut (40) also opposes the appointment as he is in a power struggle with Henry I. Baldwin V has a group of canons appoint his own relative Albert de Rethel (his cousin) as Bishop of Liege.

1192 Albert of Louvain (26), the bishop of Liège murdered by 3 knights in Reims. Uprising of the princes of lower Lorraine led by the Duke of Brabant (27) and the Duke of Limburg (52), brother and uncle of the slain bishop. They form a group that eventually comes to include the archbishops of Cologne and Mainz and other princes, and lay waste to the territory of Dietrich of Hochstaden. Faced with the hostility of the people of Leige, Bishop-elect Lothar flees to the imperial court. He is excommunicated by Pope Celestine.

1992 Lothaire of Hochstaden Bishop of Liege.

1993 Simon of Limburg becomes Bishop of Liege.

1194, the Holy Roman Emperor Henry VI (24) declares Namur to be a margraviate.

1195 Baldwin VI (23) Count of Flanders and Hainaut. Flanders is smaller than before, since a significant chunk (County of Artois) has gone to the French king through marriage.

1195 Holy Roman Emperor Henry VI (25) announces a new crusade without papal encouragement. the arrival of the German crusaders prompts Saladin's brother, Al-Adil I to sign a five-year truce in 1198.

1195 Philip I of Namur “the noble” (20) (son of Baldwin V, Count of Hainault) becomes ruler of Namur (1195-1212). Namur is left to Philip as a fief of Hainault. Ermesinde (9), daughter of Henry IV of Luxembourg, contests this inheritance.

1195 Theobald I of Bar (37) marries Ermesinde (9), daughter of Henry IV of Luxembourg.

1995 Albert of Cuyck Bishop of Liege (1995-1200)

1196-1199 War between s Theobald I of Bar (38) and Philip of Namur (21). Teobald tries to reclaim the territories of his wife Ermesinde (10), heiress of Luxembourg. Namur besieged. The county of Bar is located just south of Luxembourg.

“Theobald de Bar seeks to reclaim his wife's lands of Luxembourg , Durbuy and Laroche with the approval of Philip of Swabia. Theobald therefore besieged the castle at Namur, whereupon a conference was held in which Philip of Namur and his brother Baldwin VI (Count of Flanders and Hainaut) renounced the disputed territories of Luxembourg, Durbuy and Laroche. The Treaty of Dinant signed 6 July 1199 at Saint Medard, later made it official.”

1196 John I (56) Archbishop of Trier re-discovers the Holy Robe of Christ.

1197 (jun) Henry I, Duke of Brabant (31) joins the Crusade of Henry VI (32) as one of the leaders. He takes part in the capture of Beirut (october) and after the death of the King of Jerusalem, Henry II, Count of Champagne he acts as regent from Acre until the arrival of the new king, Amalric II.

1197 (sept) Unexpected death of Holy Roman Emperor Henry VI (staufen) aged 32. Henry I of Brabant (31) supports the Welf candidate Otto IV (22) the fiancé of his daughter Maria (7). Henry III of Limbourg (57) also supports Otto of Brunswick over Philip of Swabia (20) as German king and imperial claimant.

1197 (oct) – 1198 (apr): Interregnum.

1198 John I (58) Archbishop of Trier attains the release of the archbishopric and the city of trier from the suzerainty of the he Count Palatine of the Rhine.

1198 Inocent III (37/55) becomes Pope. He messes a lot in mundane politics during his reign. Convened the Fourth Council of the Lateran, 1215. Initiated the Fourth Crusade but later distanced himself from it and threatened participants with excommunication when it became clear that the leadership abandoned a focus on conquest of the Holy Land and instead intended to sack Christian cities. Endorsed the Franciscan Order.

1198 Constance of Sicily removes Frederick II (4) from the Staufen line of succession (wtf!?) and after that she dies. Staufen supporters elect Philip of Swabia (21; brother of Henry VI) as their candidate for king. Double election of King of the Germans (Otto IV and Philip). Innocent III sides with the Welfs because they recognize his overlordship over Sicily.

1198 (apr) Otto IV (Welf) (23) elected Holy roman Emperor. Title contested during most years if his reign by Philip of Swabia (21) and Frederick II (staufens). Conflicts with the Pope (he had a knack of angering Innocent III) and Staufen partisans.

• 1198 – 1204 Henry I of Brabant fights Philip's seconders Count Dirk VII of Holland and Count Otto I of Guelders
  • The archbishop of Trier fluctuates his support between the 2 candidates and is threatened with excommunication by the Pope (it never happened).

1199 (26 July). Treaty of Dinant. Philip I of Namur (28) recognized as Margrave of Namur and the siege is lifted. Philip I and his brother Baldwin renounce their rights to the Duchy of Luxembourg.

1200 Hugh of Pierrepont Bishop of Liege. French origin, from the diocese of Laon. Supported by Baldwin VI of Hainaut. Married Clemence, daughter of Guitier, Count of Rethel. He is a strong supporter of King (and then Emperor) Frederick II.

1202 Count Dirk VII of Holland and Count Otto I of Guelders invade Brabant. Brabant is successful in repealing the attack.

1202 Baldwin VI, (30) Count of Flanders and Hainaut, goes on Crusade.

1204 Sacking of Constantinople. Baldwin VI becomes the first Latin Emperor of Constantinople after its sacking.

1204 The wife of Baldwin also leaves on Crusade. Philip of Namur left as regent of Flanders with custody of the daughters Jeanne (4) and Margaret (2). Baldwin's uncle William of Thy (an illegitimate son of Baldwin IV of Hainaut) is regent for Hainaut.

1204 Henry I of Brabant (39) and King Philip II of France (39) switch sides and back Philip of Swabia (27) against Otto IV (29).

1205 Jeanne (5) becomes Countess of Flanders and Hainaut

1205 Battle of Adrianople. Capture of Baldwin VI (he dies a prisoner the same year). Philip of Namur (34) summoned to a meeting by Philip Augustus (40), King of France, at Pont de l'Arche. Philip forced to swear fealty to the King of France and give Baldwin's daughters (Jeanne (5) and Margaret (3)) as wards of the King. Along with these exactions Philip is forced ( Really? Forced? ) to marry Marie (7) daughter of Philip Augustus.

In Namur, Philip reigns as a peaceful and pious promoter of social development. He intervened as the mediator between many feuding lords. He died of dysentery on 9 October 1212, in Valenciennes , aged 41. He had designated his twin sister Yolande as heir.

1208 Assassination of Philip of Swabia (31). Henry I of Brabant (43) proposed as successor by King Philip II (43). Short war with Emperor Otto IV (33). Henry and Otto reach a reconciliation and they fight together against King Philip II of France.

1209 Francis of Assisi (29) forms the Frater Minorum.

1209 Start of the Albigensian crusade. It lasts for 20 years (1209 – 1229)

1210 Marguerite de Courtenay (of Namur) (16) marries Raoul I of Lusignan (50), lord of Issoudun.

1210 Otto IV (35) excommunicated for trying to reassess Imperial dominion over Sicily (the situation of 1197). The Pope now sides with the Staufens against Otto.

1211 Otto IV (36) returns to Germany from Sicily. Frederick II (17) crowned King of the Romans and future Emperor in Rome.

1212 Financed by the Pope, Frederick II marches on Germany. Sept 1212, he arrives in Constance. Civil war. Dec. 1212 Frederick II formally re-elected king in Frankfurt.

1212 Death of Philip I of Namur (41). Yolande of Flanders (twin sister of Philip I) Marchioness of Namur.

1212 Henry I of Brabant (47) and his cousin Waleran of Limbourg (47) (future Waleran III) in war with the County of Guelders.

1212 - 1242 Theodoric II Archbishop of Trier.

Like his ancestors, Theodoric II remains a loyal supporter of the Imperial House of Hohenstaufen , backing the young king Frederick II against his Welf rival Otto IV , which earns him the opposition of his counterparts in Cologne and Mainz. He also ensures the election of Frederick's son Henry (VII) as King of the Romans in 1220 and his coronation by Archbishop Engelbert of Cologne two years later. He remains a close confidant of the emperor, whom he accompanies to Italy and Sicily, and also of His son Henry (VII) until his rebellion in 1234.

1212 Crusades. Iberia: Navas de Tolosa. Christian Kingdoms victory.

1213 Marie of France (15), daughter of Philip Augustus (48) marries to Henry I of Brabant (48). He is the widow of Philip I of Namur.

1213 (sept) Battle of Muret. Catalonia loses its Provençal lands for undervaluing its opponents and being caught with their pants down and their bellies full of wine.

1213 (oct) Battle of Steppes between Henry I of Brabant (48) and Hugh of Pierrepont the Bishopric of Liège for control of the County of Moha (last count died childless). Henry III of Limburg (73) suports the Bishop of Liege against his nephew Duke Henry I of Brabant. The Duke of Brabant's army breaks from the general charge and runs, suffering a heavy defeat.

1213 the marriage of Marguerite de Courtenay (of Namur) and Raoul I of Lusignan is annulled on grounds of it being barren.

1214 (jul) Battle of Bouvines. Otto IV (39) and King John of England (48) lose against Phillip of France (49) and his allies in a chaotic battle. Otto carried from the field by his terrorized wounded horse. The position of Frederick becomes stronger, while that of Otto weakens. Henry I of Brabant (49) and Henry III of Limburg (74) support Otto, while Waleran (47) (son of Henry of Limbourg) supports Philip II of France.

1214 Waleran III of Limburg (48) marries Ermesinde of Luxembourg (28). She also claims ownership of Namur as heir of Henry IV of Luxembourg that gave Namur to his sister and brother in Law (Baldwin IV) instead.

1215 Waleran III (49) invades Namur, claimed by his wife.

1215 Magna Carta. King John (49) grants more freedoms to his great nobles under duress.

1215 Otto IV (40) deposed as king of the Germans and Holy Roman Emperor.

1215 – 1220 Official interregnum. After the deposition of Otto IV (40) the Emperor title is vacant for 5 years until Frederick II (19) is crowned. The real contested emperorship had been going on for a few years already.

1215 Fourth Council of the Lateran defines transubstantiation, addresses papal primacy and clerical discipline.

1216 Honorius III (68/79) elected pope. Italian. Initiated the Fifth Crusade. Approved several religious and tertiary orders.

1216 Philip II (21) Margrave of Namur. His mother Yolande of Flanders (41) leaves to become Empress of Constantinople (1217 – 19).

1216 Margerite of Namur (22) marries Henry I, Count of Vianden (16).

1217 Philip II (22) refuses to become Emperor of Constantinople. His brother Robert de Courtenay (20) assumes the title.

1217-21 Fifth Crusade against Egypt.

1217-18 Henry I of Brabant (52) joins the 5th crusade to Egypt.

1218 (march) SAGA START : the welfs are on a downward spiral after Bouvines and Otto IV’s (43) death is imminent. Since the Staufen supporters are on a “consolidation” spree, the magi of Triamore fear that the events of 1197 will repeat themselves. It seems that Hainault (a staufen supporter) is looking to invade, and Brabant (a last-minute turncoat) might demand suzerainty of Lucien’s Folly as its price. The remaining magi of Triamore send invitations to a number of supernatural users to reinforce Triamore in case such a treat materialises.

1 Like

POLITICAL SITUATION IN 1218

As recounted by Remi de Mouseau. For such an easy going man he seems to have a good grasp of the political landscape.

NAMUR

Ruler: Philip II of Namur (Philippe II de Courtenay) (23)

Mother: Yolanda of Namur (43), latin empress of Constantinople

Brothers: Robert de Courtenay (25) latin Emperor of Constantinople, Henry (12) and Margueritte (24) Lady of Châteauneuf-sur-Cher and Mareuil-en-Berry, south of Paris.

Yolanda of Namur, mother of the current margrave, married Pierre de Courtenay the count of Flanders. She is currently in Constantinople, where she has been holding the throne while his husband is captive since last year (1217). She was the previous marchioness of Namur. Marchioness Yolande abdicated Namur to his son Philip in 1216.

The current margrave is Philip II of Namur. 23 years old now. He refused the title of Emperor of Constantinople last year (2017). His brother Robert took it and departed for Constantinople. The margraviate of Namur is a large county, controlling around 60 manors. The Courtenays owe nominal fealty to the Duchy of Brabant for a fe wo fht enorthern manors, but the whole margraviate is nominally a fief of Hainaut. Not that the oath of fealty is effective, so they are mostly an independent party. The Margrave supported the stauffens through the conflict of the Welfs and Stauffens, but did not get much form it and was raided by the welfs repeatedly.

Philip and his predecessors have a claim over the land of Triamore. After all Lucien belonged to their family. They have tried in the past to take the manor in periods of upheaval, the last try being made by Pierre de Courtenay. So far, they have not succeeded, but they are bound to try again. Philip is ambitious and looks at Lucien’s Folly as a way to consolidate his power and be able to strike at Limbourg-Luxembourg from a position of strength. He has laid claim on Triamore already in his own court but has not relied in using brute force. Yet. He is certainly our most vocal opponent.

Marguerite, the sister of the margrave married the count of Vianden 2 years ago.

Namur

The market town of Namur is not large, maybe 500 souls live there. It is the seat of the margraves, in the citadel of Pont Froid. It is a smaller castle than Lucien’s Folly, but Philip and his mother before him are improving it. It is about 2 days travel from Triamore, one on a spirited horse.

Arbois

About an hour’s walk north of Bois de Haillot there is the village of Arbois. It is a smaller village than Bois de Haillot, maybe 200 souls. It is held by Boudewijn (Baldwin). He is one of Philip’s men. We do not know much about him except that he won a toyrnament in Bruges a whle ago, so he is bound to be a good warrior. Probably this is why Philip gave him the manor on our doorstep. The village has a church, a smithy and a mill. It is somewhat retired from the Meuse. You must cross it if you want to go into Namur using the main road.

BRABANT

Ruler: Henri I, first Duke of Brabant (53)

Family: married to Marie of France (20) since 1213. He has a named after himself (Henri; 11) by his first marriage to Matilde de Boulogne.

Henry I is the first Duke of Brabant. The ducat wads created to replace the duchy of lower Lorraine, that his family held before. He is an ambitious man and has battled Holland, Guelders, Hainaut, Limbourg and the prince-bishops of liege at different moments. He tried to gain the county of Moha from the bishop in 1213 AD, but it didn’t go well for him. This and the defeat of Bouvines have checked his power for the time being, but he is manoeuvring to get an advantageous relationship with the rising emperor Frederik.

He used to support Philip of Swabia and the French king Philip Augustus but switched sides before Bouvines. The defeat in that battle made him switch sides again and now he is a supporter of the Stauffens. He got promises of new lands from Frederik for that.

Right now Henry is in Egypt with the crusade [NB: 5th crusade]. We do not know when he will return. This has quietened the area when it comes to major conflicts.

Regarding us, we know that the lords of Brabant considers this castle a valuable infrastructure, but has not moved to threaten us in recent decades. In fact, we suspect that Henry might think of Triamore as a sort of asset, since we deviate attention and resources form Limbourg-Luxembourg and Namur towards us, so we secure his south-east border. It does not mean that he is an ally of us, or that he would not like to control the castle himself, but he has larger issues somewhere. He has a tense relationship with Philipe of Courtenay-Namur, and they have been at loggerheads before.

LIMBOURG – LUXEMBOURG

Ruler: Waleran III of Limburg and Ermesinde of Luxembourg-Hainaut

Waleran and Ermesinde are our second main problem. They married in 1214. Ermesinde inherited Luxembourg, while his second husband, Waleran of Limburg will inherit Limburg when his aging father Henri III dies. They have a claim over Namur through Ermesinde, whose father Henry IV of Luxembourg held the margraviate 50 years ago. His father gave the margraviate to his brother in law, but she has never renounced his claim. Since marrying Waleran of Limbourg the Luxembourg-Limburg alliance has ceated a powerful power block in the other side of the Meuse. They have already attacked Namur once. In the current situation of effective interregnum they might try again.

Like the Courtenays they consider Lucien’s folly an anchor to their strategies against the other party, and would like to have it to attack Namur (and Brabant). They have raided us in the past and we expect them to do so again. We have tried to negotiate with them, but Ermesinde is a strong woman and has not been budged. He claims suzerainty over all of Namur, and being in the middle of his current and claimed territories he sees Triamore as a rightful possession of hers. Or so we think. Luxembourg has never tried to take it by force, but raids it when it raids Namur, not making any distinctions between us and the the margraviate. That sends a clear message regarding their view on us. Luxembourg has offered us to become vassals instead of evicting us, and has ignored our reply of being a hoilding of the Holy roman Emperor. They say that the charter is void, since Otto never reafirmed it.

Dinant

Dinant is a small town in Luxembourg. It is somewhat larger than Namur, in the eastern side of the Meuse. It does not have much commerce needed for arcane studies (we need to go to Liege for that) but some specialist merchants can be found there. We also visit it sometimes because there are some interesting faerie sites in the place, but we try to go anonymously as Luxembourg does not like us visiting. Sometimes the fae vis sites have been harvested, though, and we have not been able to know who collects it. They do not seem to be hermetics, since the vis sources are not registered.

FLANDERS & HAINAUT

Ruler: Jeanne of Flanders (19). Regent: Guillaume de Thy

Family: Margueritte of Flanders (16)

As you all know Baldwin VI of Hainaut became the first latin emperor of Constantinople in 1204. Her daughter Jeanne inherited the title of countess of Flanders and Hainaut from him in 1205, at the age of 6. The regent is Guillaume de Thy, an ilegitimate son of Baldwin V. she relies in his judgement, but is quite a spirited woman herself.

Jeanne has been under the care of Philipe Augustus of France or most of her life. She is nominally married to Ferdinand of Portugal, but since Ferdinand revolted against Philip Agustus and was captured after Bouvines she has been ruling alone. We do not know much about her, but Guillaume de Thy is a predator.

In the current shifting allegiance arena, Hainaut (a Stauffen supporter) is likely to invade Brabant, askingits nominal vassal (Namur) for aid in the war. We will see what happens there, but both major players seem to be in a war footing. The current leader of the region is not an enemy of us, but we do not know if he can be counted as a counterbalance to Namur’s or Luxembourg’s ambitions, or if Hainaut will support its vassal in their aim to acquire Triamore.

Flanders is a much more populated area than Hainaut and other inside areas like Brabant and Namur. It looks like Joanne plans to favour the cities in detriment of the nobility, but we will see what comes of it. Flanders lost the county of Artois to the French king when he acquired wardship of the daughters of Baldwin, and he has not returned them to the countess. He is unlikely to return them as things seem to be developing.

ARCHBISHROPIC OF LIEGE

Ruler: Hugh de Pierrepont

Liege is not a land enemy of Triamore, but can be a spiritual one. The current bishop is interested in land grabs, but somewhere else, not in this area. However, they Church has always looked at us as little more than demons dressed in human clothes. The bishop is quite lenient himself, but a few of his canons are more vehement in their condemnation of anything magical. We are unlikely to find help there.

THE ARDENNES

Ruler : Arduinna

The Ardennes are the forest south and west of Bois de Haillot. It is a forest surrounded by poacher and forester settlements, but the interior is quite primal. It is home to a ot of wolf packs, some of which are known to Triamore (Remi even has a wolf familiar called white paw). The forest has very dense undergrowth, but it is lighter than other forests of the Holy roman Empire. No mundane ruler has effective suzerainity over it.

Its mystical ruler is Arduinna, a spirit that has dwelt here since before the Romans came to the area. The Franks respected her, but she resents the encroachment of the dominion on its domain. Triamore tries to respect her wishes ensuring that the toll of the church is not heard beyond a certain point in the borders of the forest, so will try to prevent a larger church being built if possible. In Exchange, the magi of Triamore seem to find some vis in the forest each year.

Recently some faeries have started to dwell in its northern reaches, in Arbois, and she does not like that.

THE MEUSE

Ruler (?) : Mosa (Maze)

The Meuse is a navigable river, both upstream and downstream. Upstream from Bois de Haillot (Givet) the river is rougher, though, so not much traffic goes that way. Triamore uses the Meuse to ferry heavy burdens, but these are few and far between. In the past the covenant used to have a boat able to traverse even the rough parts of the river on its own, using magic. The boat was created by Ulisterius, but it was stolen a while ago (and we sank it in reprisal) and lady Daria has not recreated it. Right now we just

It is known that the Meuse has a magical spirit named Mosa. There has not been a magus capable of communing with her at Triamore in decades, so apart from its existence and vulgar name few things are known about her.

There are rumours of a large fish in the river that sinks boats from time to time, but nobody is sure if it is rumour or real. We believe it might be real and linked to Mosa, but nobody is sure.

Quickly the dates for St. Francis here, making correction of the table easy.
The dates for Frederick II are here for the same purpose.

Any mistakes you are seeing? I have been delving into these sources for the whole afternoon and I am a little bit blind right now.

Several:

Date 1174 should be replaced by 1190! Text OK.

Some data about Francis and Frederick II are off (see wiki articles attached above):

Francis:
Started preaching and gathering followers about 1208
Primitive rule of the order written in 1209, endorsed by the pope about 1210
Francis in Egypt 1219 OK
Regula Bullata 1223 endorsed by the pope
Death of Francis 1226

Frederick II:
6th crusade was planned and organized by Frederick for 1227, but due to problems with weather and disease in Apulia could only start in 1228.
1245 he was excommunicated (not for the first time), but held on to power until his death 1250 despite this and his illnesses..

Nevertheless thanks for setting up the timetable!

1 Like

Seems that most problems were caused by the autoformat of the forum, that considers numbers consecutive (1207 1208, ...) instead of allowing for jumps in the nunbers. Corrected adding * to some entries. Thanks for the tips!

Arguably Frederick II's focus on the Kingdom of Sicily strengthened the empire because of the Assizes, which centralized more power in the hands of the emperor, but it did weaken the Kingdom of Germany. Something that did not endear Frederick II to the feudal lords of course.

Assizes seem to be English courts. Were German equivalents implemented during this time? German high courts of justice under imperial jurisdiction?

Not a lot of comparison between English legal system and the rest of Europe. Common law vs. Civil/Canon law. Very different.

Yes, this is why I am asking.

I've been trying to research it but unfortunately most stuff I've seen is referring to the English system. Possibly because it's the English language.

In medieval legal procedure, the assises (from old French) were solemn court sessions, and documents resulting from them.

Frederick II's Assizes of Capua from 1220 were the solemn beginning of Frederick II's legislation in Sicily, that culminated in the Constitutions of Melfi.

1 Like

Yep! It's what made him unpopular among the feudal lords and the ecclesiastical powers, hence the multiple excommunications. A lot of bishops during the time considered Frederick II the anti-Christ.

Some more mundane events, centering in Hainaut, Limbourg and Luxemburg as well as Namur.
Brabant and Liege stuff (and some more details on Namur) will be added later and combined with the previous info.

**Triamore will be located in the easiest approach from Luxembourg to Namur. It is the keystone to the control of Namur and southern Brabant. Since the Emperor prefers a fluid situation in the area so that no macro-duchy is created, he made things difficult for everybody by putting Triamore, the castle that controls the easiest approach to Namur in the hands of an independent party. Both Namur and Luxembourg want control of Triamore in order to secure their border (Namur) or take control of Namur (Luxembourg) and ensure that no dangeorus partyy is left in their rear if they attack namur or Brabant.

Additionally, Namur will remain a de facto vassal of Brabant, even if historically this is false for the period.

1139 Henry IV of Luxembourg ruler of Namur

1170 Henry IV of Luxembourg and Baldwin V of Hainaut make war with Henry III of Limburg.

1172 Henry IV of Luxembourg and Baldwin V of Hainaut make war with Henry III of Limburg again. Environs of Arlon devastated. Allied victory.

1183. Folmar of Karden as Archbishop of Trier. Opposed by Emperor Frederick Barbarossa.

1183 Henry I, Duke of Brabant First duke of bravant (dies 1235)

1186 Ermesinde of Luxemburg born. Jeopardizes the promise of inheritance of Baldwin V, that had been promised Namur from Henry IV (his brother in law).

1188 It is decided that Baldwin V will inherit Namur and Ermesinde will inherit Durbuy and La Roche, and Luxembourg.

1189 Baldwin V of Hainaut receives Namur from Henry IV of Luxembourg.

1189 Baldwin V of Hainault (1170+), Margrave of Namur (1189+) and Count of Flanders (1191+)

1190 Baldwin fights a war with his uncle, Henry IV of Luxembourg to establish Namur as independent from Luxembourg.

1194, the Holy Roman Emperor Henry VI declares Namur to be a margraviate.

1195 Philip I “the noble” (son of Baldwin V) ruler of Namur (1195-1212). Namur is left to Philip as a fief of Hainault. Ermesinde, daughter of Henry IV of Luxembourg, contests this inheritance.

1196-1199 War between Theobald I de Bar and Philip I of Namur. Teobald tries to reclaim the territories of his wife Ermesinde, heiress of Luxembourg. Namur besieged. The county of Bar is located just south of Luxembourg.

Theobald de Bar seeks to reclaim his wife's lands of Luxembourg, Durbuy and Laroche with the approval of Philip of Swabia. Theobald therefore besieged the castle at Namur, whereupon a conference was held in which Philip of Namur and his brother Baldwin VI (Count of Flanders and Hainaut) renounced the disputed territories of Luxembourg, Durbuy and Laroche. The Treaty of Dinant signed 6 July 1199 at Saint Medard, later made it official.

1198 Philip of Swabia (Staufen) and Otto IV (welf) kings of Germany (conflict). Conflict until 1208.

1199 (26 July). Treaty of Dinant. Philip recognized as ruler of Namur and the siege is lifted. Philip I and his brother Baldwin renounce their rights to the Duchy of Luxembourg.

1202 Baldwin VI goes on Crusade. He becomes the first Latin Emperor of Constantinople after its sacking (1204).

1204 The wife of Baldwin also leaves on Crusade. Philip of Namur left as regent of Flanders with custody of the daughters Joanna (4) and Margaret (2). Baldwin's uncle William of Thy (an illegitimate son of Baldwin IV of Hainaut) was regent for Hainaut.

1205 Battle of Adrianople. Capture of Baldwin (he dies a prisoner the same year). Philip of Namur summoned to a meeting by Philip Augustus, King of France, at Pont de l'Arche. Philip forced to swear fealty to the King of France and give Baldwin's daughters as wards of the King. Along with these exactions Philip is forced ( Really? Forced? ) to marry Marie, daughter of Philip Augustus.

In Namur, Philip reigns as a peaceful and pious promoter of social development. He intervened as the mediator between many feuding lords. He died of dysentery on 9 October 1212, in Valenciennes. He had designated his twin sister Yolande as heir.

1212 Yolande (twin sister of Philip I) ruler of Namur.

1212 henry I of Brabant and his cousin Waleran of Limbourg (future Waleran III) in war with the County of Guelders

1213 Battle of Steppes between Henry I of Bravant and the Bishop of Liege for control of the County of Moha (last count died childless). Henry III of Limburg suports the Bishop of Liege against his nephew Henry, Duke of Brabant. The Duke of Brabant's army broke and ran.

1214 Battle of Bouvines. Emperor Otto and King John of England defeated by the Philip II of France.

Henry of Limbourg supported Otto of Brunswick over Philip of Swabia as German king and imperial claimant. He fought at the Battle of Bouvines in 1214 for Otto of Brunswick, while his son Waleran sided with Philip II of France.

1214 Waleran III of Limbourg marries Ermesinde of Luxembourg. She also claims ownership of Namur as heir of Henry IV of Luxembourg that gave Namur to his sister and brother in Law (Baldwin IV) instead.

1215 Waleran III invades Namur, claimed by his wife.

1216 Phillip II ruler of Namur. His mother leaves to become Empress of Constantinople (1217 – 19).

1217 Philip II refuses to become Emperor of Constantinople. His brother assumes the title.

1218 SAGA START

1 Like

This looks good! But there appear to be few player characters with decent Area Lores around to sort this out.

Who is the NPC to explain it to our characters? An Augustan, Remi, Morris?

I have spent 2 nights perusing the wikipedia. For being such a small area (around half of modern day Brussels and Luxembourg) it is rife with chaos! It is a way better environment for RPG-ing than what the Triamore book says. :slight_smile:

A detailed account will be in the library for sure. Morris will know about it, and Daria. remi somehwat less of the history since he was not around for most of this time.

Daria will brief you about the political situation in the introductory meeting. Further information is supposed to be available through Morris or other educated characters at the covenant. Johan the captain might know about it as well since he is gentile and needs tpo keep track of political balance in order to ensure the mundane defense of Lucien's Folly.

Well, they have been fighting over who gets to be Holy Roman Emperor and all these local lords think that they can gain an advantage over their neighbors by siding with who they think will win. Throw in convoluted consanguinity and affinity and you have one huge, dysfunctional family... who control armies.

Well, I integrated the local and Imperial history. The history of the wider world (especially the crusades and English-French wars) is still lacking, but it looks promising for conflict on the mundane arena.

Stupid nobles!