Tomas ex Bonisagus

I have been with the caravan since 1209. If you can find a season after 1212, the sooner the better.

SilverOak, can I make this adjustment. If so, what is the earliest season I can give hin? The assumption to date has been that I arrived just after I turned 35. I can happily delare I arrived earlier that year, turn the whole year into lab work, and insert an extra year of development. What is a reasonable year for that, given the background I have written?

The obvious time would be the same year you do your own longevity potion. which you have as the 10th year post gauntlet and 4 years before game start- though your age is listed as 44, and I recall you made the initial character at age 25- in fact as I see it your advancement only goes up to age 39 that you have listed...
The caravan was in Egypt in the falland winter of 1218 and the fall and winter of 1212, so finding your familiar should probably synch with one of those, or be a future event...

Yes, the 44 was an error and should have been 39. Given that we now have the starting year for the caravan, I will do the analysis later today and see if I can make 2012 work for doing my (and the other) longevity potion.

I think it the timing works. If Tomas was born in 1178, then his 34th year (when I want to make the longevity potions) would be 1212.

I got a bit confused by a couple of notes. So let me repeat to clariy. If I am reading this right, Antoniuous will help Tomas with both Tomas' potion and Antonious' (for +11), and provide 36 pawns of vis. I can either reduce my vis expenditure or increase my potion efficacy myself, and I will use enough creo vis on Antonious' potion to bring the lab total to 106?
(To silveroak):slight_smile: Then I rework 2013-2019, using seasonal or covenant time?

Whichever you prefer, 30 pts/yr or by season with the covenant.

(Being pedantic to avoid mistakes) May I do four years of seasonal (2013 - 2016), and then switch to covenant seasonal for the last three (2017 - 2019)?

if by seasonal you mean 30 points/yr with seasonal lab usage, then yes.

How does this look:
1212 Longevity Potion, 2xp MT (becomes 3xp)
1212 Longevity Potion, 2xp MT(becomes 3xp)
1212 Open Cane (15 pawns), 2xp MT(becomes 3xp)
1212 Make Cane Talisman, 2xp MT(becomes 3xp)
1213 30xp Rego
1214 30xp Rego
1215 30xp Rego
1216 17xp Intellego (to 6), 10xp Concentration, 3xp Concentration
1217 Spring An Summa (L13/Q17->20xp, L5 (5))
1217 Summer He Summa (L18/Q12->15xp, L5) Acquire Monkey
1217 Autumn Te Summa (L12/Q18->21xp, L8) Name Monkee Cheech for its preferred noise
1217 Winter Vi Summa (L17Q23->26xp, L7 (1))
1218 Spring Finesse Summa (L7Q14->17xp L3 (2))
1218 Summer Bind Cheech as CrCo Familiar (25+25+3+11+3 = 66 lab total, 14 vis), 2xp MT (becomes 3xp) (Cords +3 Gold, +2 Silver, +2 Bronze for 60 pts)
can I use only 12 vis, and use only 60 pts of my lab total, since the rest will go to waste anyway?
1218 Autumn Invest spell Talisman, open movement bonus, 2xp MT (becomes 3xp)
1218 Winter Invest spell Talisman, open healing bonus, 2p MT (becomes 3xp)
1219 Spring An Summa (L13/Q17->20xp, L8 (4))
1219 Summer He Summa (L18/Q12->15xp, L7 (2))
1219 Autumn Te Summa (L12/Q18->21xp, L10 (2))
1219 Winter Vi Summa (L17Q23->26xp, L10 (3))

I have a version where I only use one year of 30xp to get the Intellego and Concentration increases, only get Rego to 10 with some extra xp, and instead raise An, He, Te, an Vi higher. I like it better, but it seems excessive.
I realize I need to specify what spells I will invest in the talisman.

Yes, although you shouldnt have to spend more than 7 creo on my ritual because the lab total will be 106, assuming an aura of 3.

Yes, my calculation match yours on the 106. My plan is to spent 7 on yours, and all 22 on mine (producing +22 and +25 respectively.)
Just waiting for Silveroak to comment on whether I should use the posted progression, or the more extravagant one, for after the longevity rituals.

You cannot acquire the monkey and read a summae in the same season- finding a familiar animal is a season long activity.

Just checking. I had thought the Monkey was a magical companion as a flaw. I realize that taking the flaw will affect the way it behaves as a familiar (in ways that create stories and problems). I had thought it meant that I did not have to spend the season. If I am confused, I will remove the study. I will remove the study season. (Is there something I can take for 2xp of exposure for that season?)

In that case you don't actually need a season to acquire it, however it will take me a minute to compare the old timeline and new to see how they mesh...

Okay. Let me know what adjustments are needed.

Okay, I come out with your vim total being 10(3), which is 6 more xp than you have calculated... also wanting to know your calculations for the vi requirements for binding your familiar- this is dependant on the familiar, not the lab total.

For the familiar binding vis cost, I was relying on the core text from pg 104:
"FAMILIAR BONDING COST:
1 pawn of vis per five levels or fraction of the binding Lab Total
Vis must match Technique or Form"

For the Vim level, I forgot the 5 points I spend during the 9 years. I match your conclusion of 10(3). I have corrected the relevant two lines.

I am trying to work out a sensible Rego spell to invest in my talisman to open the movement bonus.
Would the finesse variations of the invisible sling apply? If so, what are the base stats for that when I have to touch the rock to be thrown?

My copy only says "1 pawn of vi per 5 levels or fraction", not "of lab total", so I take it to mean of the familiar bonding level.. apparently however there was errata on this point I missed... now I need to contemplate whether to accept this or house rule it...

Any conclusions on whether I use the binding level or the lab total for the vis cost? I will get the spells for the talisman spelled out ASAP.
have you spotted any other issues in the character development review?