Topics for the Grand Tribunal 1228

Hi All,

My troupe is just coming up to their local Tribunal of 1227 and one of the topics at that will be who is sent to the Grand Tribunal in 1228. In order to decide who goes and who they entrust with their sigil, a list of topics that will be voted on at the Grand Tribunal would help.

I know one possible topic is mentioned in The Sundered Eagle, are there any others in canon?

And does anyone have any suggestions for other topics? (Just one-liners, not entire plots or even really story seeds.)

Thanks,

Kenton

House Tremere would like the Verditus and others to stop selling so much dangerous magitech to the mundanes, and they'd like the honorary redcaps in Transylvania to be recognised in a legal sense.

Depending on how you use that, you can have the members of the Lotharingian tribunal (ToH: Rhine) either presenting their proposal for a new tribunal or working intensely in the grand tribunal to gather sup`port aiming for a +33 year's proposal.

Heorot's tribunal allegiance might be a contested hotbed if you want to. officially Denmark is in Novgorod, but the covenant wants to be in the rhine and the Rhine magi would love to push their border northwards.

House Verditius, as a counterpoint, would like to sell more. I have no doubt they'd be willing to compromise on the "Charged items/Items with limited durations only" front in exchange for a notable increase in the number of items sold.

Maybe a resistance against the Hibernian tribunal allows magical creatures to vote. I do not have this book, but I guess that there are many mages in other tribunals that either wants to push the same laws in their tribunals or want to make an orderwide ban against it

Interference with mundanes: Some want the code to stay as it is, whereas some others, faced by mundane encroachment and the rise of the dominion, think the code need to be relaxed.
The jerbiton, especially, faced both by the estrangment from their mundane families and the sack of constantinople, would like to be able to do more.

A declaration of war against the Order of Suleiman.

The Loch Legan tribunal has a particular vision of the code, that is anathema to some magi. Surrounding tribunals seek to reforme it, by forbiding certain practices.

A coalition of Faeries contacted some primus, asking for an alliance against the mundanes. They intend to go to war against them regardless of the Order's decision.

A holy plague is striking hermetic magi, depriving them of their gift until they atone for their sins. It is presumedly spread by holy magicians seeking to save the OoH's soul. What can be done, what should be done?

All over Europe, the titans are shaking in their sleep. Their awakening could usher a new age of magic, at the cost of untold mundane lives. Will the order help them, or impede them?

Hedge magicians, despite being a lot weaker then hermetic mages, can still be a precious ressource and help. They are also allies in the face of mundane encroachment. Still, they are neglected, left to fend for themselves, and sometimes even hunted for sport by some magi. So there's a growing movement to grant them a protected status, allowing them to join the order with limited rights and some obligations in exchange for the code's protection.

Thanks all, this is very helpful.

I haven't read Against the Dark yet, these honorary redcaps are explained in there I assume?

A Covenant on the Isle of Man would like to register its presence. It must survive until the next Grand Tribunal to become a part of a Tribunal (Hibernian, Loch Leglean, or Stonehenge) decided upon by its residents.

(Laying the groundwork for the possible exploration of its ruins later, or for the magi to ask the covenant for assistance.)

-Ben.

Cow & Calf,in Covenants, it's mentioned as being in the Hibernian Peripheral Code. Hasn't been ratified by the Grand Tribunal. It needs some clarity as to whether the author retains the rights or the seller of the book retains the rights, as they are not necessarily the same person, especially when the author is deceased. And if the author is deceased do those rights, much like modern copyright law, pass to an estate and live on, perhaps managed by his heirs (filia or filius)?

There's the hotly debated issue of testing an AC to determine whom it targets, as to whether or not that qualifies as scrying.

Anything that came up as really controversial in a previous Tribunal meeting that barely passed in the players' Tribunal might rear its head in another Tribunal and be decided the other way. Now the issue needs to be resolved at Grand Tribunal. Or the proponents of the losing side are trying to get it brought up at Grand Tribunal to adjust the Peripheral Code in the player's Tribunal to their desire. And they've been quietly working for 7+ years to get support for their view among the other Tribunals' magi.

House Tytalus may still have two primi (HoH:S) --- there may be a race to see which one can get his/her bum on the Tytalus seat in the Forum of Hermes.

Mark

Is that a topic for the agenda, though? Were I Murion of Bonisagus, I wouldn't touch that issue with a Pilum of Fire.

It's a good point, though. There is only going to be one chair for the Primus of House Tytalus. Who gets to sit in it? Murion can set the agenda, so she can refuse to allow the two conflicting petitions from the rival Primi to get to the floor. And I don't see much motivation for the House to come together behind one candidate. Perhaps one of them hosts a rival Grand Tribunal meeting outside?

This is really a spot for PCs to get involved. If it doesn't matter to your story, then just let Tytalus engage in its ongoing shenanigans. But if the pcs have an interest, or it will make one of your stories more fun, then bring in the Tytalus Primus and tie the rivals to competing parties in some other player-focused area.

IOC, while the two Tytalus were fighting over who was primus, a third candidate showed up and declared himself primus to (and was accepted by) the Grand Tribunal. Solved that.

Rich