Towers over mugs

Siobhan considers, [color=blue]"can you create the fortress into the earth rather than out of the earth. If I am correct, the spell creates a tower that goes 80' up and 20' down. If we reverse it, it will be 20' up, good for great hall and kitchen and eighty feet into the ground that it won't stand out that much. Two towers like that and we have plenty of room and the full extent of our room would not be realized."

Surprisingly enough Rhodri speaks up.

"Um...Miss Siobhan? That will not work so well, the spell as designed raises the tower. The only way it could raise it underground is if it were perhaps raised in a pit or chasm...

"The spell would have to be re-designed, with perhaps Rego and Perdo in order to displace the earth, and also a higher magnitude for the requisites and special effects, but it should benefit from similarity to the original spell. That would take some time..." he stops and thinks a moment.

"Then again, perhaps my Pater has a spell similar to that, he does handle the dispensing of Bonisagi research and publication on all of the British Isles. I could ask him."

Here's an example of useful point expenditure (if you actually want a copy of the spell) by spending the points for the lab text of this spell or a Casting Tablet. Or perhaps it could be arranged that someone could cast it for you as part of the Dedicated Covenant boon, and save the points.

Björn looks to Siobhan, considering her words. "You have a point. I didn't think of how magically made towers might affect the mundanes in the area." He then listens to Rhodri speak about changing the spell. "Sounds like putting it underground would greatly increase the casting level of the spell. Would it be worth the effort it would cost?"

He turns to Rhodri. "You mentioned your pater is donating some supplies to this. I'm assuming you mean books? We will also need lab equipment for..." Björn pauses to count the gathered magi (assuming Beneger has yet to join the group) and frowns. "... eight magi. I think this is something we will have to get from the Tribunal."

"As for money." Björn gets a cocky grin on his face. "I don't think that will be too much of a problem, once we get the labs in place. But for a mundane source of income, I think getting a look at the site will help determine what we might be able to do." He turns to Agitatus. "You said that you are bringing some Scotts with you. Any of them got crafting skills? Do they have any livestock with them?"

Björn takes a moment to think, scratching his furry white sideburns. "If we could borrow or pay for some lab space at another covenant while someone checks out the building site, I'm sure I could whip out something to sell." He snorts a laugh. "Hell, just give me an empty room and some wood and I can make some mundane items that will fetch a pretty penny. I brought all my tools with me."

Jaen nods at Siobhan's suggestion. "That makes sense." He frowns at a thought and looks at Agitatus and Rhodri. "Do we know whose land we'll be building on?"

"There's a lot we have to decide, but we won't be doing most of that now, will we? For now...what...we decide on the tower so...uhm...Rodman? No? Oh. Rhodri. So Rhodri can research that spell. What else do we need to decide on right now, today and upfront?

"There's a Redcap. Let's see what he can tell us about that town." Jaen waves at a Redcap and asks him to come over. "Thank you sir. Do you know or do you know who can tell us about the village of Launceston?"

[color=blue]"Perhaps a pit of gaping earth spell to remove the dirt." Siobhan considers the issue carefully. [color=blue]"still we might need to research that alternate spell. Two towers into the ground with a staircase between them. "

"It's Rhodri." he frowns, looking a bit irritated. "It's simply Rhodri, it's not a difficult name. But yes, I can check with Maximianus and see about the spell, maybe some others also. He has access to quite a library of lab texts and all kinds of spells and items."

Agitatus adds. "I believe some of the Clan may have...'acquired' some head of cattle and some sheep for the trip." he adds with a wink. "If his claim is true about land then maybe some money could be made on livestock and farming."

Jocelin the Redcap tosses back the ale he was drinking. "Launceston? Right outside the castle? What would you know? They make a decent living on the farming, good land there. Henry fitz Count is the Sherriff, but the real power in that part of England is Falkes de Breaute. In nearby Devon the sheriff is Robert de Courtenay. He is at odds with Falkes, but Falkes is gaining in power by the day. He all but rules parts of England...even moreso than the King."

"Hmmm..." Björn looks around the group. "It sounds like we really need someone to go out there and take a look at this site. Any volunteers?"

He takes a moment to think back to something Jaen said eariler. "I'm not sure we can make up a charter before we actually have a building set up. On the other hand, this already has the Tribunal's approval, so we might be able to put one together. But I'm not sure about this." Björn looks over to Siobhan. "What say you, Queasitor?"

Elysia scratches the kicked dog behind the ears as she listens quietly, her posture set like a pack leader rather than a woman with a dog.

"Who, indeed? Perhaps more than one should go?"

[color=red]I could go as well. Acacius sees this as an opportunity to prove his worth. [color=red]I am keen to take a look at the local flora, I’ve heard some interesting rumours about plants and roots in the area. Now do we have a plan for such a journey? Perhaps we should all travel down there and purchase the hospitality of a few farmers down there so we could all scout the area.

Jaen shrugs. "Even if it's not a regular charter, just some way we can come to a consensus on minor issues. We don't want to debate what color the tapestries are with the same fervor we debate how we divide the vis."

"If no one objects, I'll follow along behind. I think I'll go to London town and buy us some supplies. There are things we'll have to buy there anyway, just to get started. No sense in all of us going on that run. Though if a mage or two wanted to tag along, I won't object."

[color=blue]"I agree that we should all go down there and check it out. I have some duties here but they should probably be finished within a day and I know that Blackthorne can host us that day or two while we prepare." Siobhan says. She has queasitor meeting and another series of questions for Julia and potentially all of Voluntas. She hopes she doesn't have to travel there to investigate.

Björn nods to Jaen. "I wouldn't mind going to London, or some other town with you to buy supplies. I brought all my tools, but they are rather useless if I have nothing to use them on. I don't think I would be able to add anything to the scouting party that others wouldn't think of as well."

"I would mind going into London." He speaks up, glancing between them, having stayed mostly silent for the entire exchange, "Though I would be glad to join in surveying the site." He eyes Agitatus a bit, still a little stunned from the man's break down.

Agatitus is nodding at the various discussions and then shakes his head at the suggestion of more than one magus going to investigate.

"I'd avoid that if I were ye. Too many magi going to one place is rarely a good idea, too much attention is easily drawn, plus all the other things that tend to go wrong when Magi get together. We have many other things that need to be done here as well. One magus and some assistants would be best." (Hint hint, but you can also make an Intrigue roll regarding Agitatus)

Rhodri addresses the group. "I think we should make a vote or two on just a few things, we don't need an official charter if we have a majority opinion on something. We could nominate or volunteer one person and if we all agree, that magus could do the task we require. My master has made some arrangements for Old Aggie..." he pauses and looks over his shoulder at Agitatus who merely gives a disinterested wave of his hand at the name. "Some are here with the Nigrasaxa Covenant magi here and some more I believe back at the towers as well."

One of the wretched and pale skinned servants approaches the tent, behind him walks Julia. He shambles servilely up to Siobhan.

"Master..." he lisps. "Master Iudicium awaits your presence. If you will follow me?"

Julia approaches and one of her servants brings her a mug of mulled wine.

"I shall await here Quaesitor for our interview, my custo will be here as well and the papers to answer your questions." she says as she takes a seat and regards the group of magi near her table.

Julia takes a sip of her wine and speaks to the group.

"So...you do realize why Stonehenge...why Blackthorn is having you conduct the fair, do you not? I suppose these are the young magi that you will use to quicken these thoughts of making a Covenant Agitatus?

"What have you decided? I am here to help after all...I am at your service."

Old Aggie snorts and reaches for his mug.

Siobhan rises and speaks softly to the group, [color=blue]"I must be away for a short time as duties call and a member of house guernicus is ever at the service to the order." The queasitor looks at Julia [color=blue]"That is actually fairly obvious. I suspect that the secondary purpose of trying to keep you busy with a project that weakens your time for coalition building by having duties in two far spread areas will succeed at least a little. The primary one of hoping the new covenant will fall in line as Blackthorn allies and sway tribunal balance in their favor will fail I suspect. The ones I see here are too independant at the moment and too many from outside the tribunal. Finally, the tertiary purpose is that our location as indicated means Blackthorne has the shortest travel times and are least inconvenienced for attending yet it is not at Blackthorne which the tribunal would not have approved."

She then turns to follow the servant.

OOC: intrigue roll is 4 or 14 (4 if stress, 14 if simple)

invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1947290/
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1947291/

Jaen will watch Siobhan walk away. He'll murmur, "Now THAT'S how you make an exit" to no one at all and go back to his ale.

Julia's eyebrow rises and her lips purse, it's easy to see she is impressed, but whether she agrees with the assesment does not show. Aggie is not as subtle.

He snorts loudly, spraying beer across the table. "Ha!" he laughs as foam drips from his chin and beard.

Rhodri is smiling uncomfortably at the situation. "Well...Julia, what can you provide for us?"

Julia smiles generously. "What would you like?"

Jaen will hum a second and then say, "Well, off the top of my head...

"A role of all known magi in the Tribunal by house and Covenant, so we can plan for numbers, booth space, space set up. That sort of thing

"A grant of vis, because there are certain amenities we'll have to provide at a minimum to our visitors, and those will have to be made before hand.

"We'll probably need a redcap or two specifically devoted to us. One who can travel to other tribunals quickly and one whose been proven shrewd in dealing with mundane traders at a mininum I think.

"Means to purchase our mundane resources for building the booths and tables and stages that will be necessary. I don't think we could give you exact amount in silver and manpower until we've had a chance to survey the site the fair will be held.

"Money for mundane bribes.

"Siobhan mentioned something about serving as our Market Judge. What she'll need I couldn't say up front.

"We'll need to procure the services of several scribes in order to keep our acounts in order.

"Oh, and access to the libraries of Voluntas, Blackthorn, some of the others I'm sure. We'll have several dozens of magi and their retinue each year. That means we'll have to hide them from the eyes of the locals, and the local faerie, and...well you know. That will mean research, research, research."

Jaen frowns into his mug. "More ale to. But I don't expect you to get that for me." He waves at a passing servant.

When Bergener speaks up, Björn blinks, and a frown momentarily crosses his face, missed by any who were not looking directly at him at the time. Then Agitatus speaks up about how magi should avoid moving about in large groups, and Rhodri imforms them of some supplies still at his master's covenant. Björn's eyes light up as he gets an idea for Bergener. "The Old Man's right. Jaen and I will be more than enough to make some purchases in London. Acacius seems keen on scouting out the building site. Why don't you go back with Rhodes here to his pater's covenant and pick up the supplies?" His suggestion is accompanied by a chummy smile as he figures this is the best place for the albino.

Björn is quiet as he listens to the talk with and about Julia, and finally speaks up when Jaen is done to add some of his own ideas to the list. "And don't forget lab equipment, or at least the money to purchase the supplies. If you want us to concentrate on this fair, we shouldn't be spending a lot of time trying to come up with labs for... nine." Björn ends his sentence rather flatly, with a bit of a grimace, as if he is upset about the number, or something.

"We should also have a few mundane guards for the fair. You can't expect magi to handle all possible disturbances."

"Could also use some merchant contacts. Not all goods magi need to buy will be magical in nature. We will need to know some merchants that would be willing to supply what magi want to buy, and can manage to interact well with magi."