Trading of the Tomes (1239)

Helene sits neatly and Francois shares the paperwork. After a time Francois starts again with small banter-ish questions about Andorra; nothing too questioning, just appears to be letting Helene read and passing polite commentary.

Francois then suggests, "It will take me a little time to surmise our library for you so concisely, and I will need to consider the needs of the other Magi too. You are welcome to stay with us if you have the time. Our guest quarters are close to the water and have a wonderful view. Unfortunately I should attend to some matters before the day is ended. Perhaps we shall see you settled and you would join us for dinner?"

Helene nods her understanding and addresses Lucas "Magus, if you would follow me, I will show you to quarters?"

"I beg your pardon," Lucas replies when Francois mentions other business. "I didn't mean to intrude on any of your current duties." He bows his head in apology. "Yes, I'd be more than happy to stay. In fact, I'm eager to since part of my purpose is to get to know the people in our neighboring covenants. And if your dinner is as fine as your wine, then it will be my pleasure." He gathers up his things, leaving the library listing with Francois for the time being so that the magus can review it. Then he follows Helene to the guest chambers.

"So you're Francois' daughter," he says as they walk. "That's quite uncommon. He's a very fortunate man. I know all of the magi in my house would be happy to have such luck."

A successful Per check by Lucas: hints that Francois and Helene might have been communicating silently just before Francois changed the pace of the discussion.[hr][/hr]
Helene jokes, "Well do please tell him that too Magus. I'm constantly telling him that he's blessed to have me, but he won't hear it! Truthfully though Master favors my brothers more because I think he's trying to compensate for all the time we spend in training together. With the duties, my training, and our family he is regularly caught out."

You walk back toward the middle courtyard of the covenant which is upturned by digging, then out again eastward. Helene is leading you toward the water where five stand alone dwellings are built along the coastline, each facing the water. They are segregated from the other by a low walls and garden beds. The gardens are less maintained here. The dwelling construction is mostly wood with a brick fireplace and brick lintel around the main doors, and large shuttered windows facing in all directions. While simple in construction, they are modest multi-room houses, and have many beds and cupboards filled with blankets and other comforts. The configuration appears suited to housing a collection of visitors rather than a single guest.

"This is the first of the retreats built, so it's probably a little creaky but is the largest and has the best views of them all. The bell rope will ring the bell outside to let the staff know you are in need of something, otherwise our covenfolk will leave anyone here to their own devices. The retreat farthest from us is occupied by my uncle and extended family, and is off limits to everyone save Master Francois."

"If you are not ready to rest and want to see something particular I'd love to show you the covenant or the vineyards. I'm meant to be elsewhere too, but we get so few visitors from the Order - I cannot miss this opportunity. I've heard almost nothing of the Order or the Houses."

"I appreciate your father's dilemma," Lucas replies. "I've four children myself, and I know how hard it is to try and treat them all fairly. I also know what it is to miss important events because of lab requirements or covenant duties. But it's a burden we magi must bear."

When he's shown the older guest house he smiles and nods. "This will be quite nice," he replies, giving more attention to the seaside view than to the house itself. "As your father said, the view is excellent, well worth putting up with a creaky door or two, though I fear the guest house is far larger than I need. I doubt I'll use more than two of its chambers."

He takes note of the off-limits area, but makes no comment. Covenants all had their secrets. And it was diplomatic not to pry too deeply into them.

"I'd love to have a tour," he adds when the offer is made. "You can tell your father you were only being polite. And just to make it worth your while, and to make it more justifiable, I'll be happy to continue your education and talk about the Houses and the Order. Do forgive me if I spend a bit more time on House Mercere." He smiles.

"Please do speak extensively of House Mercere, I'll not have a better source of information than a House Magus." Lucas can tell Helene is genuinely interested in the Houses, the politics between the gifted and the Redcaps, and has clearly not focused her studies on the Houses or the history of The Order. Her questions are at a basic level.

As you both talk she walks you around the covenant grounds, the vineyard and winery, and down to the coast. The workers and covenfolk stay a respectful distance away.

Along the shoreline she points out the Crone's Nose, a rock formation far out into the surf. She smiles as she says, "The covenfolk say it looks like Maga Etienne, our most senior Merinita. It even has a lump on her back they call Fercillo, which is Maga Etiennes' familiar. She's not as bad as everyone makes out." The rock almost does look like a petrified woman once it is pointed out.
[hr][/hr]
OOC: The tour will probably take a few hours; pausing here to check two things:

1. do you wish to ask/gain anything specific, cast, etc? You'll have plenty opportunities in that time.
  2. Is Silveroak still keen to have Richeaux still present at the same time, as if so I'll do an intro to him and you will probably meet either before dinner or as dinner guests?

yes, I would definitely like to get Rilcheaux involved.

Post a few lines on his appearance and how he gets into the area. We've got a blurb on the appearance of the covenant.
My thinking is that he's already present but up to you to decide if he's just arrived or staying longer. As a start hook he has a message for Ethan ex Tytalus, a guest of the covenant.

He would have arrived on foot about a day ago, and approached the covenant on foot, having departed from the cart he purchased a ride from where it's path came closest to the covenant. He wears the sort of outfit one might associate with a court courier, dressed in a fictional livery that is not quite identifiable but seems vaguely familiar based off several designs. The outfit is red and blue, with the cap of course being red. He has of course spent his time in travel and with grogs at the covenant finding out what he could about gossip and current events in the local area. (com+Intrigue=5+die roll)

I assumed simple die since he was casually checking for whatever he could find, but if you decide it should be stress I will roll botches...

Lucas is happy to take a leisurely stroll around the covenant with Helene. She reminds him of his daughter, Elinor, which brings a smile to his face. He tries to take things in as he's given the tour, and in between telling Helene about the Houses of the Order, he asks his own about the magi of the covenant. He's the assistant Herald of his own covenant, he explains to her. And that means he has to get to know their neighbors.

When they get to the Crone's Nose, Lucas has to laugh. "I don't think something like that would go over well at our covenant," he says, thinking how unwise it would be for anyone to make a joke at the expense of Carmen, Arachne, or Solomon. "Then again," he adds. "There may be some younger magi who wouldn't mind being the butt of a joke like that."

[hr][/hr]
Lucas' goal is to find out who all the magi of the covenant are and what Houses they're from.

He should still have Aura of Beguiling Appearance up. If we've reached sundown, he'll recast it (silently and without gestures, of course).

Rilcheaux thread:[hr][/hr]

It's certainly not stressful, and a Intrigue result of 15 is an excellent success.

But first, your introduction and first view: In a manner very similar to the experience that Lucas has after you, you were first sighted by a member of the covenfolk, a bell pealed, and then you were approach and welcomed by Borss. With a gruff dismissal of "the lollygagers", Borss disperses the folk watching and sets you a welcoming meal and shows you your quarters. Up to you if you how long you wished to rest before meeting any Magi, or doing some such other task. Borss will ensure you're looked after, and your rooms are one of the same cabins along the coast.

He's typically say, "I'll leave you to rid yur'self of da road dirt Magus. That bell will tell us you're in need off som-such". Borss has no natural grace at all, but means to try the polite thing to do. As a guest who has not been to the covenant before, Rilcheaux would be told about the other guest houses being private, and also asked to not wander away from the central covenant are without a guide.

Now some local rumours and events, lets assume that you find this information by chatting and walking the covenant? Perhaps over a day or so (up to you):

• The Deveroux family is a rich local landholder, with estates which border the covenant, and Magus Francois ex Jerbiton is younger brother to the current Baron Jerome Deveroux, who is also close to his deathbed with age and a foul humor sickliness.
  • Maga Jeanne ex Merinita almost always keeps to her quarters, and for the past few years has only been served by a small circle of the covenant's servants; known unofficially as "her pack of wolves". Once the guiding voice of wisdom, she is now never seen without her massive wolf companion Carevas, who hunts the covenant surrounds at night.
  • Magus Francios is reasonably well liked, particularly more than the other two Merinita, and certainly more than the visiting Tytalus named Ethan. The Tytalus arrived with three Arabic slaves and has torn up the central courtyard. The slaves are creepily non-responsive, one even dropped a barrow of stone on the other's foot and neither exclaimed.
  • A merchant named Gerome of Sete recently visited and is likely to return, as it appears he is overly fond of the covenant's wine and a tall woman named Michelle, who is a spearman in the Turb.
  • There is some trouble with an abbeyto the south west of the covenant, and a Brother came looking for assistance and donations. He was assisted, but still left disappointed by the covenant's response. Father Dion (the Priest who travels t the covenant to conduct services) was likewise disappointing by the circumstances.

Assume that you can dig further for some more particulars if you are interested - we'll follow those threads.

Lucas thread:[hr][/hr]

Well you'd probably not need the spell, but it would provide a little extra oomph. Over the time walking you garner the following:

Francois Deveroux ex Jerbiton,

• Concerned with plants and crops, and wine.
  • Younger brother to the dying Baron. You'd note easily that she is obviously close to her dying uncle and speaks of her cousins in the same way as her brothers.
  • He is older than he looks, substantially so. Helene thinks her father is getting tired.
  • His familiar is an african gray parrot, who is taken to singing inappropriate rhymes and songs and is particularly vulgar when drunk. "The vile little bird."

Jeanne of Merinita,

• also has self transformation powers to a wolf.
  • Pragmatic and blunt.
  • Adopted sister to the missing Magus named Luc.
  • Has a violent wolf familiar, and an older apprentice boy in his early 20s named Davok, from eastern Europe.

Maga Etienne ex Merinita,

• Order Hermes Lore 6+ = Rep: “the ambassador” for her role many years ago finding a peaceful conclusions to a particularly ugly set of confrontation.
  • Possibly also gentle gifted, as she used to spend large amounts of time among the covenfolk, before her personality became erratic. She is grupy and acerbic at times now.
  • She is often away from the covenant.
  • Her apprentice passed her gauntlet a few years ago and visits now and then.
  • A very friendly white cat familiar, who will give away secrets for dates and sweetened milk.

Ethan ex Tytalus,

• a guest of the covenant, has been for a few years.
  • investigating the remains of some ruins in the middle of the covenant courtyard.
  • Creepy, mainly because he is friendly and courtious, but has such strange followers and tastes. Keeps very much to himself, and is not using one of the guest houses, but instead has his own lab beneath the ground like the other Magi.

Luc ex Merinita,

• Helene has never met him. Apparently well liked.
  • Left the covenant on an expedition 15 years ago. Still considered an absent member.

Guillermo of Mercere,

• A redcap who no longer stays at the covenant, or even visits. something happened about 8 years ago, but he's not really talked about except by reference in charter discussions.

"So only four magi in residence," Lucas notes. "And one a guest. Do you think you and Davok will stay here when you're gauntleted? It seems like there's plenty of room for you. And a covenant like this can certainly support more magi."

Rilcheaux asks father Dion about the trouble at the abbey. "I have heard there is an issue there of some concern, I would be interested to see if I might lend my assistance, depending on the nature of the trouble."

Helene replies, "Davok is a free spirit, he'll just as likely wander into the ocean or something! He'd be welcome here and Magus Jeanne would likely miss him as they've grown close. I'm not sure though, I think he might want to travel and explore. I'm intending to stay though. More and more of the daily operations need attention, and by the time my study is completed I'll be old enough to run more. Probably with Master's eye watching my every action for a decade or so, but I'd not like to be too far from my family anyway."

You find Father Dion at the covenant's small chapel. A brick and wood building off the center of the covenant's common, it is well maintained and decorated in parts with simple furnishings. The Father is a middle aged man with a long brown beard and hair, speckled with gray. He has a large bulbous nose, a ruddy face, and stands taller than the average Frenchman. His dress is typical for a priest, however he also wears an apron and gloves over his clothes as he is busy moving planks from a cart to a lean-to neat the the rear of the chapel outside. A fit looking covenant hand is also present.

"Hello son," eyeing your dress, "I don't think we've met" and extending his hand.

"What issue?"

"I understand an abbey to the south and west came by looking for assistance lately, I had not heard what kind of assistance, but that they were disappointed by the assistance they got. I hadn't heard anything more of the type of assistance, and was hoping that it might be something I could lend my hand to improving the situation."

"It's nice to see both your loyalty to the covenant and your devotion to your family. It's hard to be split up from your parents and siblings ... and children, for that matter. I suppose I secretly hope that some day one of my children will take up residence in the Redcap Quarter in Andorra so that I'll get to see them a bit more. And if they happened to get married and give me some grandchildren, well, I don't suppose I'd mind that either." Lucas smiles.

"But look at the time." He glances over at the rapidly setting sun. "I should never forgive myself if I made us late for dinner."

The Father stares at you quizzically. "What might be isn't best gossip. What's your name son and where are you from?"
Ooc: if your going to lie, etc, include a Guile roll in the response. Com based.

"My name is Rilcheaux, I am a redcap with the order, a messenger, entrusted with the discretion of the affairs of members of the order."

note: an urser's reputation is local...I believe there is a penalty to have heard of him this far afield...

Note: I'm assuming this conversation with Father Dion happens just before Lucas arrives. My intent is to have both Lucas and Rilcheaux invited to the same dinner.

Ooc: it's not really plausible that he'd have heard anything of Rilcheaux.

Father Dion looks perplexed and then shrugs. (in French ) "Anton, thank you lad, we can finish this later. Perhaps find us some water from inside if you could, then come back this afternoon when you can. " With the smile from Father Dion the youth replies a quick yes, gathers the pitcher and cups and heads off.
The priest drinks water and returns to Latin as he offers you a cup and sits on the edge of the wagon, groaning a little. As he continues he plonks an old sunhat on and removes his work gloves.

"You've heard mostly the right of it, and I guess it's no real secret. The abbey is in a spot of trouble and it's the plain truth that they're looking for help. Many at the Abbey are friends and a few of us go many years back. So what I tell you isn't the gossip for beds and brothels, I'll have your word on that."

(Assuming Rilcheaux agrees, if not the Priest ends the topic there.)

"The Abbey is in a terrible state of disrepair. They've had unfortunate accidents and once one problem seeded it caused others. The poor main buildings have fared reasonably but many other areas are uninhabitable."

"A brother sent letters to me and I arranged for the Magi to consider assisting them. In all honesty the covenant has pledged a fair boon to the abbey, both money given freely and men to assist in the build; but it won't be close to enough to fix everything. "

"The real culprit is the crusades. Every man of worth for leagues has already given lives and money to assist the Crusade, and there is a real shortage of both here now. Don't mistake me for a Cathari, the Crusade is holy and good; it's just a heavy burden on everyone. "

"I think they left disappointed because of the wild stories about Magi. They expected magic to solve everything. Your order has some strange practices but conjuring a new Abbey from thin air is a faerie story. "

"So there it is Rilcheaux." Softly laughing "Do you have a cart load of pennies and a score of labourers hidden away in one of the magic towers?"