Troubles with mould

Salve Sodalis,

my Covenant is located on an island near Venice so I think its closeness to sea water is a good reason to suppose that a large number of Covenant's rooms are and smell mouldy.

I would like to ask you a lot of questions about mould:

• which Art covers mould? I think Herbam do.
  • how can I remove mould from my Sancta? I am searching for a good spell that removes forever all mould from my rooms. I suppose a Pe/He spell or a Cr/Au spell (circulating air could removes or cuts down the dampness)
  • which are the effects of books exposed to dampness/mould? I would like to reduce their Quality or their value but I do not know if my idea is right!

Please note that Magi know about the formation of mould in the library for over a year and nobody does anything to stop it...

Hello. :slight_smile:

I'd agree.

Indeed.

Destroying mold is actually pretty difficult, a Base 5 guideline, by the RAW. Perhaps a -1 magnitude shift is appropriate for the minor effect.

I would destroy all mold in the room with a thorough scrubbing, and then use a Duration: Ring T: Circle spell to maintain it clean, which I believe is ReHe Base 3 or PeHe Base or PeHe Base 3 (so a level 10 spell is required). An Au spell is also a possibility, either CrAu (Chamber of Spring Breezes?) to create a dry breeze or PeAu to destroy the mist (Base 4).

If the sanctum is not circular, a periodic casting of a Room target spell should do - or a lesser enchanted device.

An enchanted device may be preferable in any case in terms of the lab's Warping score, if you're using the rules from Covenants. If even raw vis isn't enough to cleanse the room with no bad effects, a D: Ring T: Circle spell cast on the windows and doors with a periodic (seasonal?) casting of it over the entire sanctum should do the work just fine.

I lower the craftmanship-quality (using the concept from Covenants) for damaged books , so they effectively incur a -3 penalty to quality over time. If things deteriorate further, the book becomes useless.

Naughty players. :smiling_imp:

Hmm, I would think that PeAn would be required to eliminate mould, not PeHe.

Why do you figure mold is an animal?

PeHe is the way to go, and then a ReAq or ReAu is one way of keeping the moisture content down.

I dunno, its not a member of the vegetable kingdom I knew that much. From Wikipedia though it appears people thought it was for the longest time so I guess we go with He then. Apparently its neither animal nor vegetable but its own kingdom of organisms altogether.

Apparently one very old method for control of mildew, especially in paintings was the use of white lead (very toxic). I suppose this being the mode in the medieval period, one could conceivably line the interior walls of their covenants with it or add it to the wall paint. some CrTe effect and a touch of vis and you have you permanent mildew-proof paint.

How can Magi not see moulds growing in their library? Don't they have a librarian, use books or even just look at them from time to time.

Or is my Bonisagus such a book worm compared to others?
Our covenant doesn't really have a librarian, so one of the magi has taken on that role: you can be assured that we sometimes look at our books. (and in our misty swamp, cleaning is a top priority for the mundane staff)

Check this: CrIg! Burn baby burn... :smiling_imp:
Books? :open_mouth: Which books do you mean? :smiling_imp:

However, I think mould will be considered to be a plant by medivial magi. It does not move, so it is no animal but a plant.

Wonders then what classification Vetrenius would give to the great North American Couch Potato? :wink: Is it Animal or Vegetable?

This species may be a magical hybrid... Have to use some MuHe and MuAn (or even MuCo???) on it to answer this question... Can I get one of them via redcaps? :wink:

I think the following analogy is plausible in medieval terms: mold is to the building as disease is to the body. If you accept that analogy, the best way to "heal" a building of mold would be CrHe or CrTe (depending on whether your covenant is made from wood or stone), just as CrCo is used to heal someone of disease.

I think some of you take this game WAY too seriously :wink:

Role-playing mould growth. Fascinating! Perhaps next week the covenant could attempt to tackle the thorny problem of removing red wines stains from the library carpet?

Must have been a custos. Any magus would have rego Aquam-ed that red wine right back into their goblet.

This is a very interesting analogy but in my point of view I prefer to use Pe/He to remove the problem

A lot of players in my campaign are very interested in medieval history, society and style of life, so we prefer to play a more mature game very careful to all minimal details. Often we play a game w/ roll a dice :slight_smile:

They see the growing mould but they prefer to use their seasonal lab work for their own purpose as increase their Arts and actualy they think dedicating a Season for the good of Covenant is wasted time :imp:

God forbid you botch a roll on a CrHe mould solution spell.

Eegad Moldinius! Enormous green spores have eaten the librarian and are moving on to the kitchen staff!!!!

bzzzcrackle*** Is this on?

Salve Sodales! I'm Roberto DeVilla ex Verditius here for "This Old Covenant." Don't worry, viewing this presentation is not a violation of the Scrying portion of the Code audience laughter Today we'll be considering that often overlooked scourge of Library and Scriptorium: Mold! How can you prevent it from damaging those texts you haven't yet gotten a chance to read, or ruining the materials you plan to craft a beautifully illuminated commentary from? Well sodales, I'm here to tell you how!

We're going to start with a bucket of white lead paint, a good horse hair brush, and a few pawns of Vis. You'll notice we've decided on Perdo and Herbam Vis, collected from our local sources-- but I won't be sharing those! See if you can get a brush of Quality, your local Gild in a nearby City should be able to provide one if you don't have the craftsman within your populace. Finally, the paint. This is quite toxic, so don't let the apprentices peel off chips to consume when they're bored or hungry! You'll want to keep them sharp for laboratory assistance...Now, we're all set, so let's get started!

bzzzt*

-Ben.

Brilliant! (10 pts, to be spent toward art related skills) :laughing: