Typhon of Tytalus -- Character creation

Thought that was the case, but couldn't remember where I'd seen it.

Do grogs cost build points? I think Covenants suggest that they are free, but I'm not certain that's the case.

I edited my post to add the following while you were answering me:

A grog with a character sheet is free. If you just say, "I'm bringing a maester with Chirurgy: 6, Medicine: 6 and Poisons: 5", that costs points.

Naw, let's go ahead and finish it here. No sense duplicating our efforts.

Typhon's entourage:

• Dawud of Minya is Typhon's current shield grog. An orphan of the city of Minya, in Egypt, Dawud joined Typhon's entourage as a runner and a guide when the magus visited Egypt a few years ago. He was trained by Typhon's former grog Helias, who retired back to Sicily shortly before the trip north. Although still young, Dawud has grown to be a fairly good fighter. But he is still savvy in the ways of the city.
  • Loukas Choniates is a natural philosopher of Greek origin. Loukas has always wanted to see the world outside of Greece, to study the animals and create a great atlas to rival those of the classical philosophers. He was hired by Typhon to tutor him in the Greek language and history.
  • Hugo le fermier is a young burly man of Norman origin. He used to work his farm, until it was burned in a squirmish between warring nobles. Unable to pay his rent, he was turned out with his wife Ysoude. Very good with animals. He is very strong but not very bright, carries around a cudgel and takes care of the pack animals and camp for Typhon, who hired him for that purpose.
  • Ysoude la lavendière is the wife of Hugo. Slightly brighter than her husband, she took up a job as a washerwoman when they lost their farm. She takes care of the cooking and cleaning for Typhon, who hired her her at the same time as Hugo.

All of them will have a fully detailed character sheet, as soon as I find the time for it.

He will also have hired half a dozen locals to act as temporary guards. They will be dismissed soon after Typhon gets to the covenant.

Typhon's build points:

• Book (30 bp) -- Physics by Aristotle (in Ancient Greek): Summa in Philosophiae (L6Q12)
  • Book (16 bp) -- A Treatise of Aquam by Falke of Bjornaer: Summa in Aquam (L8Q8)
  • Book (23 bp) -- On Ghosts and Those Left Behind: Summa on Mentem (L15Q8), quality is 1 less than original due to quick copying
  • Money (6 bp) -- Only a small part (10 pounds) is in the form of coins; the rest is in the form of various spices (50 pounds)

Where is his Ancient/Classical Greek 4 or (Romaic) Greek 6?
FWIW, Aodhan has a teacher he brought with him that can teach Philosophiae. https://forum.atlas-games.com/t/the-break-room/102/1

Couple of comments, now that I've taken a couple of minutes to glance over the sheet.

1.Gaelic, Irish,and Scottish are basically the same language. It's all Gaelic, with Irish and Scottish as possible Specializations.

2.I'm not really seeing Groomed to Taste the way you've built it. How is it Rego and not Muto? This is, as near as I can tell, a possibly more restrictive variation of Disguise of the New Visage (MuCo 15). And if it were Momentary, wouldn't the features revert to their "normal" appearance when the spell expired?

3.The My Body at Any Age: wouldn't the ability to end it at any time require, I think, at least a magnitude for complexity? The only canon spells I can think of that have that ability are a couple of legacy spells (Shape of the Woodland Prowler and Cloak of Black Feathers) that only do so because there's a prop involved. Although the spell level is low enough that he can spont an Unraveling the Fabric of Corpus that would dispel it anyway.

4.I'm wondering why Typhon is bringing a book he can't read, as well.

I was going by the description of Lions of the North, which mentions that the Highlands and Lowlands used different languages, and that Scottish is a mix of some Gaelic, Germanic and English.

So what's being spoken in the Highlands vs the Lowlands? Gaelic (Scottish Highlands) vs Gaelic (Scottish Lowlands)?

Groomed to Taste is basically a natural modification of the target's appreance -- making his hair longer or shorter, growing a beard, applying makeup, etc. All the changes are natural, so they remain after the spell is cast, even though the spell itself has a Momentary duration. That is also why it is Rego instead of Muto: "The Art of Rego allows a maga to change the state of a thing to some other state that the individual thing can naturally have." (ArM5 p.78)

It doesn't transform the target into something he is not. For example, it couldn't make someone who is naturally bald grow hair. Nor change his features to look like someone else. This is more of a spell to assist personal grooming and natural disguise.

Being able to interrup a MuCo spell cast at yourself is not legacy for only a few spells -- it is included in the MuCo guidelines (second paragraph of the right column). It does require a focus of some kind: examples are "a wolfskin cloak or some water in your hands". I was thikning that making a tearing off motion with both hands, starting at the back of the head (à la Mission Impossible) might do the trick, for lack of a better idea, but I can try to come up with a more tangible physical focus for that (suggestions would be welcome).

Challenge! :smiley:

Actually, he's also bringing a Greek tutor, Loukas. The book was one of the incentive for retaining his services. It is also of a higher quality than would be available in Latin. And it's a classic. :wink:

It also just feels natural that Typhon would learn about Ancient Greek history, mythology and culture, considering his name and the supernatural entity that plagues him.

As for the fact that Aodhan has a teacher for Philosophiae, Typhon wouldn't know that. I know it seems like a big redundancy in build points, but I missed Aodhan's teacher (I was looking more at the library). And it doesn't really matter, I didn't want to go too closely from what Insula Canaria had or didn't have to decide which resources Typhon would have gathered. I can already see from the library that this saga isn't bothered by redundancy.

Changed the name of the thread. I originally didn't want to put the name and House of my magus in it, so that reading the background story would be more entertaining. :smiley:

What's his SQ? :smiley: :laughing:

I don't know yet, I'll work on his character sheet (hopefully) today. But it will probably be lower that Aodhan's teacher, as I see him as young and poor (another reason for him to hitch up with Typhon).

Yesterday I statted out Dawud (the shield grog), as there was more chance of him being needed quickly. Next is Loukas, and finally Hugo and Ysoude.

Aw man! Why do you want and ruin Aodhan's day like this? Were you challenging yourself to see how quick you could make a verditius would cry? :cry:

Hope you're not taking this personally!

It will get better. But I will freely admit that Aodhan's been set up for a tough day. :laughing:

Note that I can't access RPoL from work, so I won't until later how he's reacted to Typhon's "tough love" approach.

Yeah, can't accesss RPOL at my office either. But yeah, this just doesn't compute with him. "Wait...you know that the vis is the covenant's and you're taking it anyway?" He's heard of things like this no doubt, but didn't think it'd happen to him.

You'll notice that Typhon did not identify his House when he gave his name. Didn't want to tip his hand as to the fact that it is a challenge, meant to provoke a reaction from whomever came to collect the vis, rather not an outright theft.

EDIT: He's testing Insula Canaria's resolve in defending their sources.

Right, he's not going to assume either the House yet, and he did get the idea that it's not outright theft. Thieves try not to be seen and bandits usually kill the victim. Typhon is saying "Yes, I, me, Typhon! I have stolen your vis! I hope you learned your lesson!" so, it is indeed perplexing to Aodhan. But should be fun.

With a secondary subtext that it's not thefth if you're not defending it.

The lesson is not that it can be stolen. The lesson is that unless you take measures to defend it (to avoid it being stolen) and recover it (if it gets stolen anyway), you don't deserve it in the first place.

Release the [strike]Kraken[/strike] Typhon!

Mouahahah! :smiling_imp:

Stats for two of my mundanes are up:

Let me know if you find any problems with them, so that I can fix them.

EDIT: Fixed typo.

Careful not unleash the Aodhan! Then you'll really see some indecision!