Vanilla Covenants Project - Asteria of Verditius

Do you mean: how old Asteria of Verditius should be ?

What we know:

The Island and the Castle ( p.6 ): i The castle was created fifty-two years ago. Each of the magi of the fledgling covenant created their own tower. Ten years later, a tower was added for a visiting redcap who was granted covenant membership. (…)[/i]

=====> A little more than 52 years post gauntlet seems ideal, doesn't it ?

Fidelus of Bonisagus ( p.10 ) is 74 (apparent: 47)

Antigone of Criamon ( p.19 ) is 99 (apparent: 54)

Maybe knowing this may help:

Concept ( p.8 and p.15 ): Asteria specializes in creating magical items out of bronze. Originally trained in Italy, she eventually moved to Cornwall. This is where the finest tin in the world is mined, and it allows her to create the finest bronze. Like most Verditius, she is incapable of enjoying the company of other members of her House, which also made the move to Stonehenge attractive. She drinks too much, and is very protective of her reputation, but beyond these minor foibles, she's willing to discuss her work with the younger magi.

Storyguide’s notes for this section ( p.8 ): The Verditius maga creates magic items and is interested in gaining a talisman, a familiar, and an apprentice. This allows the players to try out those rules despite the youth of their PC magi.

And another 15 years, many smaller useful items are prep'ing arts to minimum levels.

• 1231 - English 30, XP: 30, Result: English 3(30)
  • 1232 - Scribe 10, Teaching 15, Mentem 5, XP: 30, Result: Scribe 2(15), Teaching 2(15), Mentem 7(35)
  • 1233 - AL: England 5, Brawl 5, Teaching 15, Mentem 5, XP: 30, Result: AL:England 1(5), Brawl 1(5), Teaching 3(30), Mentem 8(40)
  • 1234 - Rego 30, XP: 30, Result: Rego 12 (85)
  • 1235 - Mentem 30, XP: 30, Result: Mentem 11 (70)
  • 1236 - Perdo 20xp, and Craft: Charm of the Childs Mind (PeMe19) vs LT 38, XP: 20, Result: Perdo 11 (66)
  • 1237 - Muto 23, Mentem 7, XP: 30, Result: Muto 12 (78), Mentem 12 (78)
  • 1238 - Creo 20, and Craft Servant of Bronze (ReTe/MuMe37) vs LT63, XP: 20, Result: Creo 12 (85)
  • 1239 - Animal 15, Aquam 15, XP: 30, Result: Animal 5(15), Aquam 5(15)
  • 1240 - Creo 20, and Craft: Orb of Darkness (PeIg27) vs LT 55, XP: 20, Result: Creo 14 (105)
  • 1241 - Auram 15, Corpus 15, XP: 30, Result: Auram 5(15), Corpus 5(15)
    "
  • 1242 - Invent spell: Ward Against Bronze (ReTe30) vs LT64, and Craft: Tower of Bronze (CrTe37) vs LT 75
    and Craft: the Bronze Confine (ReTe40) vs LT80, and Craft: Bronze Folio of Circles (MuTe 35) vs LT 71, XP: MT 8xp, Result: Magic Theory 8 (180), 1x spell, 3x items"
  • 1243 - Invent spell: Destroy Bronze (PeTe25) vs LT 63, and 20 xp Rego, XP: 20, Result: Rego 14 (105)
  • 1244 - Herbam 15, Imagonem 15, XP: 30, Result: Herbam 5(15), Imagonem 5(15)
  • 1245 - Vim 28, , XP: 30, Result: Vim 7 (28), MT 8(180)

That's great ! Thx ! :stuck_out_tongue:

Final 15 years of advancement, I'll tally the stats shortly and post final.

• 1246 - Metalsmith 30, XP: 30, Result: Metalsmith 4 (50) to 5 (80)
  • 1247 - Metalsmith 25, Mastery - The Bronze Dart (5) Multicasting, XP: 30, Result: Metalsmith 5 (80) to 6 (105)
  • 1248 - Philosophae 30, XP: 30, Result: Philosophae 5 (75) to 6 (105)
  • 1249 - MT 30, XP: 30, Result: MT 8(180) to 8(210)
  • 1250 - MT 15, Penetration 15, , XP: 30, Result: MT 8(210) to 9(225), Penetration 2 (20)
  • 1251 - Penetration 30, XP: 30, Result: Penentration 4 (50)
  • 1252 - Rego 30, XP: 30, Result: Rego 16 (135)
  • 1253 - Rego 30, XP: 30, Result: Rego 17 (165)
  • 1254 - Rego 30, XP: 30, Result: Rego 19 (195)
  • 1255 - Rego 15, XP: 30, Result: Rego 20 (210)
  • 1256 - Terram, XP: 45(30), Result: Terram 22 (213 to 258)
  • 1257 - Terram, XP: 45(30), Result: Terram 24 (258 to 303)
  • 1258 - Craft: Crumbling Mill (ReTe35) item, and Power Hammer (ReTe35) item, Muffling Roar (PeIm20) item, invent spell: Swarm of Gathered Bronze (ReTe35 Vs LT 70), XP:
  • 1259 - Animal 30, XP: 30, Result: Animal 9 (45)
  • 1260 - Corpus 30, XP: 30, Result: Corpus 9 (45)

Good stuff ironboundtome (as always)!

I'm working on the pdf so as to complete it with what you've written.

I'm also looking forward to the rest of the stats… so as to achieve the document finished.

It's a pity, but as we say in my country: « C'est la vie ! ».

I think it will be a good thing when the project (I mean the tome one and only one) is led to its end.

EDIT: will you add "Personality, Appearance, Character Development (Early Childhood / Apprenticeship Background)" paragraphs to Asteria of Verditius as you've done for Fidelus of Bonisagus?

No burning desire to help lay out all the volumes of an epic, multi-part series?

(I wonder if Redcaps ever offer covenants subscriptions to a work that builds up, season by season, into a complete collection on the Order of Hermes. Part 1 available at a special introductory price)

@darkwing: Maybe you’re joking, maybe you’re ironical. Maybe you just don‘t know what we are speaking of. In fact, I just don‘t know (is it due to languages gap or maybe missing emoticons? :confused: ). So, this is my answer:

At the origin, the « Vanilla Project » concept was proposed by Xavi Eldelrol aka Elmoth.
As Atlas Games was supposed not willing to produce a covenant book for the 5th Ed. (other than the « Covenants » book itself i.e. like « Mistridge » or « Triamore: The Covenant at Lucien's Folly ») he proposed the AM community to write up web-based vanilla covenants.
People began to feed their own pages with a covenant description.
At this time, I proposed to lay on e-paper all those covenants in a e-book called « the Book of Covenants ».
Three (maybe four in fact) have been collected and integrated by me in a pdf file, even if most of them were still works in progress.
At this very time, Atlas Games was actually working on « Through the Aegis: Developed Covenants ». Though the « Vanilla Project » was dead.
Only Timothy Ferguson’s project (« the Covenant of Sabrina’s Rest ») was completed.
So I decided (with his blessing) to produce a reduced e-book called « Vanilla Covenant: Tome 1 » with his own and only work. But he announced this:

Then, other contributors proposed to develop the three missing magi.
Ironboundtome is one of them. He’s still developing Asteria of Verditius in this very thread.

So « Vanilla Covenant » isn‘t a season by season covenant build book, but a starter kit for beginners’ troups, as announced in its blurb:

If you need a season by season covenant build look at: A 50-year covenant and 150-year covenant.

Sorry for my (bad) english (just look at my signature below…)

NOTE- IN DRAFT while I edit.... ... ...

Asteria of Verditius, +60 years

Characteristics: Int +3, Per 0, Pre 0, Com 0, Str -2, Sta +1, Dex +3, Qik 0
Size: 0
Age: 85 (35), Height: 168 cm, Weight: 72 kg, Gender: Female
Decrepitude: 0
Warping Score: 3 (45)
Confidence: 1 (3)

Virtues and Flaws: Affinity with Metalsmith (no calc), Affinity with Terram (no calc), Deft Form (Terram) [Form: Terram], The
Gift, Hermetic Magus, Improved Characteristics, Inventive Genius (Invent Lab Totals: +3), Minor Magical Focus (Bronze), Personal
Vis Source (Terram) [Location], Puissant Magic Theory, Puissant Metalsmith, Puissant Terram, Verditius Magic* [Preparation
Abilities: Philosophiae/*Craft], Blatant Gift (Interactions: -6 with normals), Deficient Form (Imaginem), Deleterious Circumstances
(Against wind), Hatred (Non productive artistic types), Mentor (Verdi upper hierarchy), Weakness (Drinking)

Personality Traits: Disciplined +3, Perfectionist +3, Spontaneous -2

Combat:
Dodge: Init: +0, Attack --, Defense +1, Damage --
Fist: Init: +0, Attack +4, Defense +1, Damage -2
Kick: Init: -1, Attack +4, Defense +0, Damage +1
Soak: +1
Fatigue levels: OK, 0, -1, -3, -5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties: -1 (1-5), -3 (6-10), -5 (11-15), Incapacitated (16-20), Dead (21+)

Abilities: Area Lore: England 1, Area Lore: Mines and Forges 1, Area Lore: Covenant 1, Artes Liberales 1 (geometry), Athletics 2
(Climbing), Awareness 3 (flaws in stone and metal work), Brawl 1, Carouse 1, English 3, Finesse 5, Great Weapon 1 (Staff), Italian 5
(talking about metal and stone), Latin 4 (Hermetic terms), Leadership 1, Magic Lore 1, Magic Theory 9+2 (Terram), Metalsmith 6+2
(Bronze) [Category: Laboratories], Order of Hermes Lore 1, Parma Magica 5 (Terram), Penetration 4, Philosophiae 6 (Verdi Runes),
Scribe 2, Stonemason 3 (Statues and Busts) [Category: Buildings], Teaching 3

Arts: Cr 14, In 10, Mu 12, Pe 11, Re 20, An 9, Aq 5, Au 5, Co 9, He 5, Ig 10, Im 5, Me 12, Te 24+3, Vi 7

Spells Known:

Robes of Silk to Bindings of Bronze (MuAn(Te) 15) +31. The clothing of the target is changed to bronze, which will likely inhibit
their movement.

Wall of Bronze (CrTe 30) +56. This spell creates a set of thick bronze walls, with an equivalent mass to 10 cubic paces in a
configuration chosen by the caster. Multiple castings may be required to construct large battlements. The Voice range also allows for
walls to be created beyond the reach of the caster potentially crushing opponents. Asteria of Verditius intent was a defensive spell which would aid battles, or also used for other ad-hoc purposes such as impromptu
bridges or fords. Her sigil requires spells display markings of construction or measurement was expressed as regular measurement
marks along each edge of the walls.

Conjure the Enormous Cube of Bronze (CrTe 35) +63. This spell creates a 1000 cubic feet of bronze, in roughly cubic proportions.

Measurement of Metal (InTe 10) +38

Ballistic Perfection in Bronze (MuTe 10) +52. This spell remolds up to a cubic foot of bronze into a specific uncomplicated shape,
such as a bullet, star, cube, or sphere, according to the caster’s desire when the spell is cast. The designer’s intent was to shape
excellent projectiles, and to make stacking bronze easier.

The Bronze Dart (Mu(Re)Te 15) +53, Mastery 1

A Window of Singular Direction (MuTe 15) +40

Metal of Viscid Clay (MuTe 20) +40. Softens metal to become like clay, which may be sculpted or molded, and becomes slightly
sticky. The spell affects a one foot cube of material.

Minuscule Thing of Bronze (MuTe 20) +52. Reduces an item made primarily or wholly made of bronze by three quarters in each
dimension, with an sixty-four-fold decrease in weight. Requisites are required for non bronze components.

Hardness of Adamantine (MuTe 25) +40

Destroy Bronze (PeTe 25) +50. This spell utterly destroys up to ten cubic feet of bronze, the amount chosen by the caster. Delicate
or fine destruction may require a Finesse check.

The Invisible Bronze-worker (ReTe 5) +68. The magus may transform a piece of bronze into a finished form, as if a Bronzeworker
had shaped and formed it. The magus must pass a Perception + Finesse roll substituting for Craft: Bronzeworker against an Ease
Factor at least 3 higher than the mundane Ease Factor. Failure reduces the bronze to a slumped lump as if an incompetent beginner
had worked on it.

Forge of Purest Bronze (ReTe 15) +68

Ominous Levitation of the Weighty Bar (ReTe 20) +48

Ward Against Bronze (ReTe 30) +68. This spell creates a circle that no object with a bronze component may enter or leave. These
objects may exist within the circle as long as they were there when the spell was cast.

Swarm of Gathered Bronze (ReTe 35) +68. The spell causes up to one hundred segments of bronze to float into the air and surround an object, person, or place within range. The segments slowly rotate around, moving running speed. Any single item removed a pace from the formation is no longer under the spell’s effect. The spell is primarily a way to gather and inspect bronze in the surrounding area, but can also be used to transport it, or have it ready for other spell effects.

Custom spells known:

Items crafted:

Talisman:

Attunements:Terram +3, Project bolt or other missile +3, Muto Terram +3
Open Bronze staff as Talisman (level arts 27, Te17, Re10), XP: MT 2xp, Result: Magic Theory 7 (148), Attune: Terram +3
1221 - Enchant Talisman - the Bronze Dart at R:Sight (MuReTe28 = MuReTe25, +3/6 uses per day) vs LT50 + similar spell +4, Talisman +5, Philo +3, XP: MT 2xp, Result: Magic Theory 7 (150), Attune: Project bolt or other missile +3
Enchant Talisman - the Invulnerability of Midgard (MuTe29) vs LT50 + similar spell +4, Talisman +5, Philo +3. Attune: Muto Terram +3

@ironboundtome : added this message so everyone can see when you edit your own message… (date shall appear)

Hello @ironboundtome

I've seen you have completed Asteria of Verditius' characteristics on your blog : ironboundtome.wordpress.com/201 ... verditius/

A few questions have come to my mind, before integrating this Maga into the Vanilla Covenants Project PDF :

Bindings of Bronze from Robes of Silk (MuAn(Te) 15) [in Asteria of Verditius, at Gauntlet – Spells/Customs Spells Known]
Robes of Silk to Bindings of Bronze (MuAn(Te) 15) [in Asteria of Verditius, at +60 years – Spells]
----------> which one of these is the correct formulation ?

The Spell of Worked Bronze (ReTe 5) [in Asteria of Verditius, at Gauntlet – Spells]
The Invisible Bronze-Worker (ReTe 5) [in Asteria of Verditius, at +60 years – Spells]
----------> which one of these is the correct formulation ?

The Invisible Bronze-Worker (ReTe 25) [in Asteria of Verditius, at Gauntlet – Customs Spells Known]
----------> so is this spell level 25 or level 5 ?

Ward Against Bronze (ReTe 30) [in Asteria of Verditius, at +60 years – Spells]
----------> is this an Asteria's custom spell ? If it is, why is it not described ?

A Window of Singular Direction (MuTe 15) [in Asteria of Verditius, at +60 years – Spells]
----------> is this an Asteria's custom spell ? If it is not, where is it described ?

Swarm of Gathered Bronze (ReTe 35) [in Items Crafted]
----------> is this an effect of the Bed of Talos (Enchanted Device) or a stand alone item ?

Thanks for your answers. :slight_smile:

(Maybe more questions to come…)

I shall submit the PDF to you very soon…

If you need/want to have a glance at Asteria's sheet, this is a link to an extract from Ars_Magica_5_A_Vanilla_Covenant.pdf…

drive.google.com/open?id=13elMq ... WBjSIH5rzP

Any piece of news ironboundtome ? Please ! :slight_smile:

I apologise, I don't have a good reason why this is taking so long. As best I could from the notes I've checked the advancement totals. Asteria should now be a very reasonable approximation of an advanced Magus advanced year-by-year. I will be posting the +60 year version soon. This post is a tweaked version of the older "at Gauntlet" post with corrections.

Asteria of Verditius

Custom spells

Custom spells

Talisman

Familiar

Custom items

Very pleased you're back to ArM and to Vanilla Covenant Project!

(Don't apologize, time is such a precious thing and we all don't own much of it)

I'll read you with happiness, so.

Cheers.

Hello @ironboundtome

I'm putting the last touch to "A Vanilla Covenant".

I'm looking at Asteria's stats and something looks a little bit strange to me:

Here the spell:
The Spell of Worked Bronze** (ReTe 5) (Mastery 1,)
The Spell of Worked Bronze** (ReTe 5) (Mastery 1, ??????????)

Is it missing something (figured by the question marks here), like: "multicasting", "fast casting", "still casting", "imperturbable casting", "magic resistance", "penetration" or something else?

Or is it simply:
The Spell of Worked Bronze** (ReTe 5) (Mastery 1)?

Many thanks for your answer.

EDIT: "A Vanilla Covenant" is coming soon in its last and ultimate version. At last! Stay tuned folks!

Have a look at the near-ultimate version here: http://david.berco.free.fr/wordpress/?p=690

1 Like

hi themanfromouterspace,
Good pick-up!
In the advancement year of "1222" - the activity to master the spell: Spell of Worked Bronze should have included the type of mastery - so please edit to add Precise Casting as that choice, and have that listed instead of the "????".
best,
IBT

1 Like

Ok many thanks @ironboundtome!

[’EDIT] New thread here:
https://forum.atlas-games.com/t/download-a-vanilla-covenant-in-its-last-and-ultimate-version/167939/2