Wrathful [ArM5] (-3) [personality]

Infamous [ArM5] (-1)

Missing ear [ArM5] (-1)
Disfigured [ArM5] (-1)
Being injured in the siege of Constantinople, he has lost the left ear and
has a massive scar across the left side of his face,

Knight [ArM5] (+1)

Inspirational [ArM5] (+1)
Can boost personality trait rolls of others by +3.

Privileged upbringing [ArM5] (+1)
Educated [ArM5] (+1)
He enjoyed a privileged upbringing in Constantinople, studying both
martial and academic lores. After the fall of the city, he has spent
a few years studying in a monastry. He considered becoming a priest
or monk, but left in the end without being ordained.

Well-traveled [ArM5] (+1)

Unaging [ArM5] (+1)

Improved characteristics [ArM5] (+1)

Puissant single weapon [ArM5] (+1)

Good teacher [ArM5] (+1)

Tough [ArM5] (+1)

Total +10/-10

Personality traits

Valiant +2, Angry +2,
Pious +2, Repentant +2

Characteristics

Int 0, Per +1
Str +2, Sta +2
Pre -1, Com +3
Dex +1, Qui -2

Abilities

[tableborder][tr][th]Ability[/th][th]Speciality[/th][th]xp[/th][th]Score[/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Awareness[/td][td][/td][td]15[/td]
[td] 2 [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Brawl[/td][td][/td][td]15[/td][td]2[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Stealth[/td][td][/td][td]15[/td][td]2[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Total (early childhood)[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]45[/td]
[td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Single weapon[/td][td]Mace[/td][td]50[/td]
[td] 4 [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Total (privileged upbringing)[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]50[/td]
[td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Single weapon[/td][td]Mace[/td]td25[/td][td]5[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Bows[/td][td]Longbow[/td][td]30[/td][td]3[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Great weapon[/td][td]Long spear[/td][td]15[/td][td]2[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Thrown weapon[/td][td]Axe[/td][td]5[/td][td]1[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Common Greek[/td][td][/td][td]native+30[/td][td]6[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Animal handling[/td][td][/td][td]5[/td][td]1[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Athletics[/td][td][/td][td]5[/td][td]1[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Awareness[/td][td][/td]td15[/td][td]3[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Charm[/td][td][/td][td]5[/td][td]1[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Chirurgy[/td][td][/td][td]5[/td][td]1[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Craft: icons[/td][td][/td][td]5[/td][td]1[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Etiquette[/td][td][/td][td]5[/td][td]1[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Folk ken[/td][td][/td][td]5[/td][td]1[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Hunt[/td][td][/td][td]15[/td][td]2[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Leadership[/td][td][/td][td]5[/td][td]1[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Ride[/td][td][/td][td]50[/td][td]4[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Survival[/td][td][/td][td]5[/td][td]1[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Swim[/td][td][/td][td]5[/td][td]1[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Teaching[/td][td][/td][td]5[/td][td]1[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Church lore[/td][td][/td][td]15[/td][td]2[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Latin[/td][td][/td][td]40[/td]
[td] 3 [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Theology[/td][td][/td][td]50[/td][td]4[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Total (later life)[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]345[/td]
[td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Artes Liberales[/td][td][/td][td]15[/td][td]2[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Latin[/td][td][/td]td35[/td][td]5[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Total (educated)[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]50[/td]
[td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Epirus lore[/td][td][/td][td]30[/td][td]3[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Byzantium lore[/td][td][/td][td]15[/td][td]2[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Levant lore[/td][td][/td][td]5[/td][td]1[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Total (well-travelled)[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]50[/td]
[td][/td][/tr][/tableborder]

% xp 45 + 345 + 50 + 50 + 50 = 540

Equipment

War horse (+ riding horse?)

Mace. Heater shield. Lance. Longbow. Dagger. Throwing axe.

Full chain mail.

Cloak. Travelering equipment.

Personal history

Age 28
Born and bred in the Byzantine empire. Fought in the siege of
Constantinople, and was knighted immediately thereafter.
Spent a few years studying the scripture in a monastry, aiming to
be a holy knight. He left literate but not ordained.
He took part in the lynching of Latin priests, and the horrors made
him doubt the cause of the Eastern church, and he left on an soul-searching
wandering.

(Reserved for ST comments)
Ok, initial thoughts

Plagued by Saving Angel
I like this angel thing, but I will be using it more sporadically. I will not have it appearing to you or talking directly to you, it will be invisible to your character. I will be using it to give visions and meddling in crucial moments. Is that ok with you or are you envisioning it differently? I will probably have to research its divine might. Since it probably cannot follow your character inside strong aegis maybe thats a reason to join a Covenant? What do you think?

Knight
If Eastern, we will use the Eastern title to same effect (probably a member of δυνατοί). Or you actually want him not to be starting a noble and be knighted after taking vows or something?

Educated
Why not Privileged Upbringing as you are noble? Why not both? Just asking

Area Lore: Greece 2 is 15 not 30. Area Lore: Turkey is Area Lore: Anatolia

Of the two stories I prefer the Eastern version one, as not only merges more seamlessly with the Campaign, it also does not pose that much a threat to the character with his major Wrath problem. Make him a refugee to Epirus from Constantinople?

Strong Fae Blood
Hmm, I am not fond of this particular one, for weird reasons actually. First, your eyes will be vivid. Your blood will be blue. You 'could' be ignorant of these, but someone else might make the connection early in your life. The angel will certainly know that. Also I do not want to have the 'does he have a soul' conversation. As you want this primarily for the aging thing I would like to make a suggestion. How about taking the minor virtue Unaging (for either Eastern or Western version)? Lets say the Divine 'cursed' you so that you learn from your mistakes. You will start rolls at 35, you will not have the -3 to the roll, but you will probably live just as long and never lose stats or youth. Basically any bad roll only affects decrepitude points and fatality. Any thoughts?

It is still a draft, but now it is complete with all xp and virtues and flaws allocated.

(ST EDIT) Please add chart with Early Childhood, Later Life and special virtues xp allocation at the end.
About your lores: Is Epirus and Levant lores Area Lores or Lores about history? And It should be Byzantium Lore not Bizantine (unless its a lore about Intrigue or something?). No Animal Handling for horses/hawks? No leadership? No social abilities at 1 for being Noble? Am I asking too much, tell me :slight_smile:

You are right. He should at least etiquette. I simply overlooked it. All the three lores are supposed to be area lores, spread out a little because he has adventured in a large area for the last 11 years. I am not sure how wide each one should be, and exactly where I should pick them, just that I want one at level 3 centred around where we are. I have made some adjustments.

Worth noting that Educated must be spent on Latin (Classic Greek?) and Artes Liberales only.

You are right, its in RAW. However, due to the story of the character I will allow him Theology (classical Greek too, but not romaic). I couldnt find a virtue that covers clerical education, anyone found one?

I have reviewed the abilities. Totals per stage/virtue are listed in red. Scores which are superseded further down the table are in green.

Since he is knight and educated, he can use later life xp on both martial and academic abilities, and exactly how xp are allocated between later life and virtues is immaterial. It is possible that privileged upbringing should instead be warrior, since there has been no apparent loss of privileges in the use of xp, but again, it will have no impact on the mechanics. I have not made any attempt to say what xp are pre-siege and what are post-siege. The background story gives some indication, but it is clear that he has learnt both academic and martial abilities both before and after the siege.

The clerical education is the priest and mendicant friar virtues, but they do not give any xp, thus they are similar to knight, but different from educated and warrior which both grant access to a class of abilities and xp.

I changed the name BTW, to sound more Greek.

If I understand it correctly, with Romaic Greek 6, he can read Classical Greek and both read and write Church Greek. Is that right? That should fit with his education.

I took mace as the primary weapon, since that seems to have been the weapon of choice for many priest-knights. Any advice on what would be the most appropriate weapon in Constantinople?

It is possible that I have over-exaggerated Latin, but I do not know how important Latin is in Byzantium, nor how important it is going to be in the covenant/saga. His academic background takes a lot of xp. On the other hand, I think it is reasonable that his social skills are rusty, given that he has been itinerant, and walking in different circles, in the past ten years, so I do not see a great shortage of xp elsewhere.

I have a question mark on a riding horse. I have heard that a knight would always have a riding horse for transport, alongside the war horse which would not have the right constitution for transport, but if this is excessive I shall remove it. The virtue did not really address it. SG's call.

There were no bonus abilities for companions, were there? That was only for magi!?

_< Georgios is a First name, usually Sir is for Last name, no worries.

Yes and yes
Mace is good
Latin is a bit high, but I am ok with it. You can write both Greek and Latin with Artes 2
You have a warhorse. An extra riding horse is too much. You can have a pack horse, or a mule, for extra stuff. You will need to pay the upkeep for two horses though...
Only for Magi, yes.
Nice table of xps.

How does the money mechanics work then? RAW seems to assume that all social status virtues include the income to sustain the status, and some sort of work which takes two seasons per year (±1 for poor/wealthy), without counting coins. Of course, if these two seasons are spent in the covenant's employ, the covenant pays the cost. If not, somebody else does, and we only detail it when the story requires it. I find this simple and fair, but I can handle mechanics if you want to introduce it.

O_o Em...I meant two horses add to Covenant upkeep stuff (pg 63 Covenants). Your rank covers them anyway

Check. «You (covenant)», not «you (knight)»

Arts and Acadamies list Latin, Arts Liberales and Theology taught with education in Monastic Schools (max level 4) and Cathedral schools (max level 6) so it fits either one.

Doesn't "Educated" allow characters access to Academic abilities in general?
From The Church, the social status of brother knight in a knightly order allows you academic and martial abilities (for you are warriors as well as capable of administering complex organisations and studying theology and medicine) as well as giving you access to knightly equipment.

Educated allows access to all academic virtues, but you can only spend the points on Latin and Artes Lib.

Transcribed to Announcements, please check, especially combat stats.

Three corrections.

1. Can I take brawl speciality dodge? That's +1 on Dodge defence.
  2. A throwing axe can be used as hatchet. He probably does not have a melee axe.
  3. Some of the single weapon atk totals look wrong. Did you forget puissant?
    I have recalculated below. It is awful to type in the forum format, so I am not absolutely confident. Numbers in parentheses are raw weapon stats.

Combat

[tableborder][tr][th]Weapon[/th][th]Init[/th][th]Atk[/th][th]Def[/th][th]Dam[/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Dodge[/td]td -4[/td][td]‑‑[/td]td +0[/td][td]‑‑[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Fist[/td]td -4[/td]td +3[/td]td +0[/td]td +2[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Kick[/td]td-5[/td]td +3[/td]td-1[/td]td +5[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Dagger[/td]td -4[/td]td +5[/td]td +0[/td]td +6[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Lance[/td]td -2[/td]td+12[/td]td +3[/td]td +8[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Hatchet[/td]td -4[/td]td+11[/td]td +3[/td]td +7[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Mace[/td]td -3[/td]td+12[/td]td +5[/td]td +11[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Heater shl[/td]td -4[/td]td +8[/td]td+9[/td]td +2[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Long Spear[/td]td -1[/td]td +7[/td]td +1[/td]td +10[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Longbow[/td]td-6[/td]td +9[/td]td +2[/td]td +11[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Axe, throw[/td]td -4[/td]td +5[/td]td +0[/td]td +9[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]+ Riding[/td][td][/td][td]+3[/td][td]+3[/td][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]+ Shield[/td][td][/td][td][/td][td]+4[/td][td][/td][/tr][/tableborder]

Soak: +15, +5 unarmored [+2 Sta +3 (tough) +10 (chain mail)]
Fatigue levels: OK, 0, ‑1, ‑3, ‑5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties: ‑1 (1‑5), ‑3 (6‑10), ‑5 (11‑15), Incapacitated (16‑20), Dead (21+)

Burden: 6 (armour) 2 (shield) 2 (mace) = 10
Encumbrance: 2

Other notes

Quality weapons add: Dam +1 for weapons. Def +1 for the shield. Prot +1 for armour.

(ST EDIT) Fixed. Added Dodge, changed axe to hatchet stats. Yes I did forget Puissant, sorry

I see that I messed up the defence totals. Single weapon + Qui is 5 (6 for mace with the speciality), so lance and hatchet should have +5 defence, and mace should have +6.