Vibria of Flambeau (development)

Part of the issue is that eh fire is magical, even if aimed. if you throw (re) and magically created rock (cr) indirectly at a mage there is still a need to penetrate because the rock only exists because of magic. if you throw a naturally occurring rock at someone with rego as an indirect attack it does not need to penetrate as both the rock and its motion (after the initial impetus) are natural. It's the same reason magi do not get wet if magically created water is dropped on them (assuming their parma is up and penetration fails)

Honestly, I always intended her Fire Breath to have a targeting roll; that's why I gave it a Range Modifier (since RMod strongly implies a roll to hit).

Although, rereading the Power description on her character sheet, it could have been laid out more clearly. Like, the base Level and so on. Reverse-engineering the cost, and assuming a +1 Magnitude for the Rego requisite, I get a base of 15, or fire doing +20 Damage, which jives with the rest of the description.

I do need to use the fire-breath more, and I wouldn't be adverse to buying it as a Power Stunt...not sure how that would work, mechanically. Perhaps spend a Fortune or Confidence Point every time I use the Flame Breath under the old format, and when I've spent 5 C/FP, transition to the new formula. Just spit-balling.

But I like the new format, it nails it down better. Although, reviewing the dragons with breath weapons in Realms of Power: Magic, they're all built as Greater Power and not Personal Power. Perhaps if the New and Improved Flame Breath were built as a Lesser Power x2. CrIg base 15 (create a fire doing +20 Damage), R: Voice +2, D: Mom, T: Ind, +1 for the Rego Req, for a final Effect Level of 30. That would leave 20 levels, or 4 Mastery Points, which could improve the Initiative from (1-12) -11 to -7; buying a level of Improved Power would allow her to raise the Initiative to -2. And then the Variable Power to allow her to tie it to her Arts scores.

I like this idea.

That was what the whole two-part solo has been about. The power was taken away by fiat as a story hook, not actually from a lab accident. The rolled results for that were just an explosion.

What if we look at it like this. Thake the power as written. As a basis, consider it working as is. Then consider it Improved in the following ways.

• Instead of a base damage of +20 and a Penetration +10; Penetration equals Creo + Ignem (27) minus damage. Or damage 20 Penetration +7 at her current scores.
  • She can use her Penetration ability with the power.
  • She can Master the power as if it were a spell.
  • Her Fire-Casting Focus kicks in if she spends Fatigue.

Keep in mind that with the Rego projection system, distance is subtracted from damage. So base 27 at twenty-five paces is only +2 damage.

Create a CrIg spell with the description being that you breathe fire?

Yes to all of this. This is simpler. Consider she gained something like "Improved Power" which allowed her to improve her fire breathing (since this is clearly superior to the original).

I'm just not keen on the whole "substract range from damage", simply because it means more calculations and more ruling on the fly (instead of "is it in range?", it becomes "how many paces?")

Just trying to allow for slight range based on how hard she breaths, a puff or a huff. Maybe just two settings, and allow a new one to be predetermined with each point of Mastery. Start off with a Mastery score of 1 with that being a special feat.
Two settings...

• Low: Damage +10, minus one per pace, = Level 10
  • High: Damage 20, minus one per pace, = Level 20

If she wants more fine tuning or to take advantage of greater potential, she must increase Mastery.

But isn't that already covered by the Pen = CrIg - Damage?

This is just like an hermetic mage alternating between BoaF and PoF, only more flexible.

Okay, if we want to go with that it works.
Pen = CrIg - Damage, Range (in yards) equals Damage

Yeah, looks fine, and is simpler :smiley:

Ratified by the rules shark!!!
8)

Okay, so, to be sure I'm understanding correctly. Her New and Improved Power, she can do one of two things, both using whatever her CrIg score is (currently 27, as of Spring of 1242).

Mild is Damage +10, Hot is Damage +20. Penetration is CrIg – Damage, and Range is Damage paces (before or after the roll?).

And she can add more settings with Mastery.

I originally imagined the PoF from ArM4. Damage equals (X plus a roll), minus the number pf paces between you and the target.
BUT
To keep it simple and wary of exploders,
Range is Damage paces before the roll.
If the target is more than half that distance away, halve the applied damage.

First draft of Felix the Dragon-Cat. I made him as a Summer Companion in a High Level saga. Thus, base 15 Magic Might and 360 experience points. Not quite complete, as I'm stumped for the final 3 points in Magic Qualities. I based him mostly on the White Cat lineage from Realms of Power: Magic (p. 70), with some Maurice thrown in.

[hr][/hr]
In his "normal" form, Felix is a short-haired cat whose fur is very red. He has leathery crimson wings; his nose leather and the pads of his paws are the same colour as his wings, and his eyes are salmon-coloured.

[hr][/hr]
Size: -2
Confidence: 1(3)
Personality Traits: Avaricious +3, Cat +3, Curious +4, Timid +2
Intelligence: +1
Perception: +2
Strength: +2 (including his Chimera bonus)
Stamina: +1
Presence: 0
Communication: 0
Dexterity: +3
Quickness: +1

[u]Virtues[/u]
Ferocity (when defending Vibria)
Greater Immunity: Heat and Flame (Greater Magical Quality)
Improved Characteristics x3
Lightning Reflexes
Magic Animal
Perfect Balance
Puissant Awareness
Shapeshifter (Greater Magical Quality)
Sharp Ears
Unaffected by the Gift

[u]Flaws[/u]
Carefree
Close Family Ties
Magical Friend
Minor Essential Flaw: Avaricious
Nocturnal

[u]Animal Qualities[/u]
Accomplished Flyer
Ambush Predator
Fast Flyer
Good Jumper
Skilled Climber
Thick Fur

[u]Animal Inferiorities[/u]

[u]Magical Qualities[/u]
Gift of Speech
Greater Immunity: Heat and Flame
Greater Power x1
Lesser Power x1
Major Virtue: Greater Immunity
Major Virtue: Shapeshifter
Personal Power x5

[u]Magical Inferiorities[/u]
Susceptible to Deprivation
Monstrous Appearance

[u]Powers[/u]
Cat Like a Shadow i[/i]
[tab][/tab]Points: 2; Init: 0; Form: Im; RoP: M, p. 73.
Fur of Flame i[/i]
[tab][/tab]Points: 0; Init: 0; Form: Ig; as Coat of Flame, p. 140.
Flight of the Hummingbird i[/i]
[tab][/tab]Points: 0; Init: 0; Form: An; RoP: M, p. 38.
Fiery Breath i[/i]
[tab][/tab]Points: 0; Init: -5; Form: Ig.
[tab][/tab]Creo Ignem CrIg 15. Base 5 (create a fire doing +10 damage), R: Voice +2, D: Momentary, T: Individual. Might Cost 0 (2 mastery points), Init: -5 (2 mastery pts), Penetration 2 (3 mastery pts).
Humans Are Easily Replaced (Lesser
[tab][/tab]Points: 3; Init: -7; Form: Co; RoP: M, p. 71.
Puffed Up and Hissing (Personal
[tab][/tab]Points: 1; Init: 0; Form: An; RoP: M p. 73.
Sight Beyond Sight i[/i]
[tab][/tab]Points: 0; Init: -1; Form: Im; []RoP: M[/i], p. 39

[u]Abilities[/u]
Area Lore: Andorra 2
Athletics i[/i] 5
Awareness 5+2
Brawl i[/i] 5
Climb 3
Finesse (Fiery Breath) 4
Hunt i[/i] 4
Occitan i[/i] 5
Penetration (Fiery Breath)3
Shapeshifter i[/i] 2 (Human, Dragon, Blackbird)
Stealth (stalking prey) 4

How about Second Sight? Felecia has that and the ability to grant it to others. Maybe Felis has Second Sight without the grant ability.

I like it.

So, I've added the Magical Qualities Minor Virtue (Second Sight) and Improved Abilities (to give him the experience points to actually have a better-than-one score in Second Sight); that gives me his max 15 points in Qualities and Inferiorities. I've also rejiggered his Abilities, below.

[hr][/hr]
[u]Abilities[/u]
Area Lore: Andorra 3
Area Lore: Sa Dragonera 2
Athletics i[/i] 5
Awareness 4+2
Brawl i[/i] 5
Charm 2
Climb 3
Concentration i[/i] 2
Finesse (Fiery Breath) 4
Hunt i[/i] 4
Magic Lore i[/i] 1
Occitan i[/i] 5
Penetration (Fiery Breath)3
Second Sight 3
Shapeshifter i[/i] 2 (dragon, human)
Stealth (stalking prey) 4

[hr][/hr]
In his human form, Felix is a tall, muscular man with short, vividly red hair and a neatly trimmed beard who appears to be around 40 years old.

Fine kitty, I like it :smiley:

Yes, this would be, IMO, a way better choice for a dragoncat than Sight Beyond Sight.

Maybe also a power to sniff out gold? Like...
Sniff out the hidden treasures
InTe base 2, + 2 smell, + 1 conc = lvl 05

IIRC, you have one shape for every point in the ability. Having a specialty in one of your shapes doesn't increase your actual score. So that would make 2 shapes.

Finally got around to putting the (hopefully) finishing touches on Felix Draco and posting him on the wiki.

I've got Vibria's Dragon Form on the wiki. I think. I hope.

1 Like

So, I'm working on Vibria's advancement from Summer 1243 to Fall 1244 (because I forgot until just a little bit ago that I was going to do that this weekend), and I realized that I don't have the numbers for her and Jaksic's Longevity Rituals. I know that she was helping Fleur with them, and by my reckoning the Lab Total for both of them is 45. Is that right? (Which would be a -9 to their Aging rolls.)

Apparently, on my planner, I had All Roads Lead to Africa as being in the Summer of 1244 and not Autumn. Which leaves Vibria's summer free. Luckily I had a "To Do list" on my own planner document, so I would like to have Vibria use the summer to improve her Lab, from Refinement Score of 0 to +1; I'll look over the lab improvement rules later this week to see just what that entails and make whatever rolls need to be made. (As an aside, our poltergeist owes me fifteen bucks.)

For Winter of 1245, I'm thinking of having her train with the Andorran Guard again, out in the field doing scouting. Yes, it will be cold and miserable and rainy and snowy and why am I doing this again? Oh, yeah, I'm Flambeau and need to toughen up some more. Again. Basically, 10 xp in either Survival or Area Lore: Andorra (I'm thinking the latter, since she doesn't have it.)

I was derping around Facebook this afternoon, and found this little gem on my timeline. I immediately thought of Vibria, and how much she would want this. After all, the armour Vulcanus made for her is...wow, more than 15 years old at this point (Winter 1245).

So, yeah, Vibria might see if anyone wants to take a commission.

1 Like