Vis search (winter 1220)

"The ruins are ours, and we do not appreciate intruders. What lies beyond is the forest of the giantess, and she is prone to devouring men, which is why only women are allowed through the gateway. As to the flowers, we can negotiate on such things, but we will not pay tribute for the sacred land we have held for centuries."

Giantess, huh? that seems worth at least a little care. The thought of facing a man-eating giantess does not appeal to the magus.

"I assure you," Talus replies to the ladies. "We are in no way looking for tribute. We'd be happy to compensate you for the flowers. But as my companion says, I'm a natural philosopher and would very much like to examine these curious flowers I've heard of."

One of the women snorts "Of course you are. And I'm a blushing virgin." to which another one slaps her arm and responds "We both know the value of these flowers, what do you offer in exchange?"

"That's difficult for me to say in the abstract," Talus replies. "We could offer you a great many things—money, goods, services. What is it that you need or want?"

"We could offer you cattle, which could provide milk, meat and could help you in farm the common land. I would gladly care for them if they get sick or injured, as I have a deep connection with animals, as you noticed already. If one of the children in the village has some less common abilities with animals, I could help him or her understand the songs of bird or assume their form.We can also provide your village with goods that would not result in an increased perceived wealth, as that would surely increase the taxation burden from your lord; but would surely make your life more enjoyable and easier. Spices, salt, pepper, honey, farm tools, shoes and clothing made by a great craftwoman, I might add, and many more."

Nicolae wait for Pallas to finish translating before continuing:

"Talus can probably offer things more suitable to people who have gifts like yours, but their price would be higher in vis."

"We have what we need. And we are not some backwards people to sell vis for baubles and trinkets."

"I won't stand here and bargain over vis like a common tradesman," Talus says to the woman. That's something more in David's bailiwick. "I'll simply observe that we have much we could offer in exchange for the vis you collect. I urge you to at least consider my offer and not dismiss it out of hand. Consult with your fellows and we shall send someone back here in a week's time to talk with you some more. Is that agreeable?"

The woman straightens. "That would be very agreeable."

"You are mistaken about what I offered you; it is not because you fail to perceive their value that they have none. Salt can preserve meat, spices and pepper can make a bland meal palatable, beasts of burden help you cultivate the land with less effort and provide manure to fertilize the fields, and so on. More importantly, if we provided all of these to you, you would get something priceless; more time to pursue secrets or whatever this is that you do.

You see, the magi of Domus Aureus spend several dozen pounds of silver each year on common yet needed produces such as those I named, and they could buy many pawns of vis with such an ammount of silver. I assumed that you were more or less in the same situation in Mgarr, but clearly I was wrong and did not intend to offend you, so I apologize."

One of the women snorts "If that is what you call an apology you would be better off not speaking at all. I did not say these things have no value, merely that their value is trivial compared to vis."

"I was cavalier and perhaps I did not show you the respect due to old women when we met, and this is the only thing I will apologize for. I just enumerated a list of useful common goods we could have grant access you to, but I guess I missed the fact that you have the same selection of goods in Mgarr as in Constantinople, Venice, Alexandria or Timbumktu. Hell, I did even mention an exchange rate; it's not like I wanted to trade you a single apple for a basketful of flowery vis.

I come to think of it I also mentionned that the magi could offer you other things at a higher price, so I that implied that at what I had just offered was of lesser value. If you don't need it, that's fair enough, I can understand, but considering that I also offered to show you how to assume the shape of animals and speak with their languages, dismissing as it bauble and trinkets is very much insulting. Vis is rare, but is far from priceless."

Palls is going to cease translating, looking as annoyed as an inscrutable owl can appear annoyed. "I apologize madam. Most of us, I daresay, speak more than we should. Should you wish pleasant company and a fine meal, please call upon us at Domus Aureus. Friendly neighbors are always welcome to drop by for a chat, even if," Pallas glances at Nicolae", "...even if it's for nothing more than to borrow a cup of sugar."

Pallas will give a mighty flap of his wings and soar airborne.

Nicolae, pissed off and in need to calm down, will transform into a hawk. "Yeah, if that's worth shit to you old hags, then that's a shame.", he thinks to himself before pursuing Pallas. When he catches up with him he will say:

"Sorry you had to interpret this for me, Pallas. I might have overreacted, but there aint anything more insulting that what you the secrets you can offer to share, your the skills aint worth nothing. You could say that did not roll off me like water off a duck's back. They can choke on their vis for all I care. I have no use for it; and let me tell you that if my shit was vis, I would send some in their general direction right now."

He let out an ear-piercing scream of frustration.

"Anyway, thank you, your help was really appreciated. Sometimes it gets really frustrating to not be able to communicate with your own kind. I owe you one. You need something, you name it and I will do it."

Pallas will speak with a strong voice. "I am the avatar of Athena the Wise upon this plane! And Talus of Bonisagus is my chosen vessel. I am not here intervening in the natural order of things to 'do you a favor'!

I shall accept your apology, but in return I require you to not put me in that situation again."

Talus gives a bow of respect to the elderly woman, then makes his departure.

So who comes back a week later?

Talus will come back to give some continuity. But I'd recommend David, if he's on the island. Or maybe Benedict to show how useful he could be ....

[Sorry for the delay.]
David is more than happy to come back with the others to talk with the old ladies.

David and Tallus (and Pallas?) return a week later and are all invited in to the house of one of the elders for a light afternoon repast. The English in future centuries might call it tea.

Pallas will accompany Talus, he will only come in if specifically invited.