Vis search (winter 1220)

(in Arabic) "Thank you for welcoming us back. Allow me to start by apologizing for the tone certain of my colleagues used. No insult was intended."

"It rarely is, but your apology is accepted." The woman hands out biscuits, "So lets talk about exchanges of things with real value. I don't know what tradition you fellows follow, but healing, shapechanging, flight, animal speach and longevity are fairly common magics we can handle on our own. What do you have to offer?"

David looks at the lady who spoke, and pauses for a minute. "Our community, similar I expect to yours, does not usually teach non-members our particular skills. That is why my colleagues offered assistance, in ways which it is now clear are not meaningful. We do have a most wonderful stonemason working with us! But... What struck me from the reports of the earlier conversation was to wonder whether the vis source itself might be a source of compromise. You mentioned that it is guarded. If I understood, the guard does not affect you. Still, is there any way that with our assistance more vis might be obtainable on a regular basis? If so, we would help, and then share the increase with you."

"Wait... what ? An apology ?, thought Nicolae genuinely suprised. He did not think that translating for him would inconvenience Pallas this much. The shapeshifter had not known the magical owl for long, but in the short time that he did, Pallas gave him the impression of being really sociable and a bird who enhoyed gossiping; the owl had spent days telling all the covenfolks of the bethrotal of Patrice and Penko when he had learned of it.

"Hum perhaps that was that was not that", Nicolea thought as he glided silently in the sky.

After a while, he broke of his silence, with a unsure tone:

"Tell me Pallas, was I uneedly confrontationnal or agressive with the old folks we met ? "

The shapeshifter had assumed the form of predators recently, especially with the tense meeting of the earlier night; that might have debalanced his humors and caused him to be more aggressive than usual.

Interlude - Pallas and Nicolae: Pallas quickly reassumes his normal self. "Neither confrontational or aggressive, however you were rather assuming. Assuming the villagers are backwards people, and assuming the Goddess wants my nature known here so early.

Owls know true wisdom comes from quiet observation; were I to chatter so when hunting, I would have starved long since."

Fast forward to afternoon tea: "Pardon me, Elder, but I have been remiss in introducing myself. I am Pallas, and I am bonded to Talus, my human. Our guide is David." Pallas will glance to Talus to see if he wants to reveal our Tradition or inquire further into the village Tradition. From the list of powers the Elder recited, they were likely members of the Order rather than hedge magi.

"I do not believe there is a way to obtain more vis with outside assistance than we have been able to obtain on our own, unless you have some particular method of increasing the production of vis."

"If we had a way to increase the productivity of Vis sources, things would be MUCH easier." After a pause...
"May I inquire, in hopes it will help find mutual benefit, whether you are associated with a larger group of Vis users? Maybe there are things we can provide more easily that would be of value to your colleagues?"

"The only other vis users we know of we choose not to associate with. Their magic is too dark for our liking."

"Hmmm. My friend does not speak your elegant tongue. I trust it will not offend if I speak to him for a few moments?" After pausing for objection, David turns to Talus, and switches to Latin. "They appear to be a skilled and isolated bunch of vis users. They apparently know of some other undesirable magi whom they refer to as 'dark'. I think we will need to check that out later. As these and the 'dark' do not seem to be active enemies, I do not think offering help against enemies would provide vis access. Also, being isolated, these folks may know of things that would interest our colleagues, or yourself. I am having trouble coming up with what to suggest to trade. The only thought I have is books. Their medical knowledge may well be better than what we have. Any suggestions?"

"They seem to be isolationist and fairly self-sufficient," Talus replies. "If they don't need or desire training in what we can offer, all I can think is to offer them use of the skills and magics that we know. They can't do everything here. Surely they need or want something. Is there some area of magic that we excel in that they do not? Might they want to trade for enchanted items?"

"In the end, however, if they remain recalcitrant and refuse to deal, there's nothing we can do to force them to want to deal with us. Nicolae tried that and it worked very poorly."

To Talus in Latin "I wonder if we could arrange meetings just to compare our approaches to magic. No vis exchange? Then, once we know them better, we may be able to find trade of mutual benefit? I would be inclined to point out to them that many people find our colleagues make them uncomfortable, so as to reduce the irritation factor."

"We would certainly do well to get to know our arcane neighbors," Talus replies. "If they are a power to be reckoned with on this island, we ought to know that. And as you say, once we know more about them, we'll know more what they might want from us - if anything."

David turns back to the ladies, and resumes speaking in Arabic "It seems to us that it is unlikely that we can quickly find suitable trades for substances as valuable as the Vis you are able to collect. Instead, if you would be willing, I would like to suggest that we schedule a few meetings of several of you, and several of the magi, to discuss magic in general and our approaches. It seems likely we each have things we can learn from the other. And that we would each benefit from friendly relations with neighbors of influence. The only concern I have is that many people find my colleagues insulting and rude even when they have not intended such. We may need to allow the translators some room for rephrasing so as to reduce this. Would you have any interest in such an arrangement?"

"We would need to discuss it with the rest of the coven. Generally we do not reveal much of ourselves to outsiders, aside from the trade we do in healing, and occasionally some of us do perform curses for hire. As you say there is a potential for benefit, so I will need to discuss this with my sisters. Lets meet here again in a week to see about where to go with this plan."

"We will come back in a week. Thank you for your courtesy and time."
David then translates for Talus. Then waits for the social queues that it is time to move, and leaves. Upon returning he will report the state of the discussions to the Council.

A week later you begin another afternoon's repast "The circle has agreed to limited discussions, a few of the older sisters will hold the discussions with you, as they have both a better understanding of magic as we practice it and a better sense of discretion than many of the younger sisters. May I introduce Pietra, Lola, and Eva."

The three elder sisters appear to be in their early to mid 40s, all of them with black hair and olive complexions.

(OOC: Given the suggestion about discussing magic theory, who is with David this time? Talus, I presume. Anyone other magi? ANy of the familiars?)

Antonius will go.

Julia will accompany Antonius. Tartessos doesn't speak the lingo, but if Vulpus wants to attend he is welcome to.

Talus will go, accompanied by Pallas, if she's willing, to help translate (and since she might be interested in hearing what the old women have to say).