Vis search (winter 1220)

If Pallas is coming, David will ask her how she would like to be re-introduced at the meeting, as he will start by introducing all those present on our side.
Once there, after the greetings, david will introduce all of our people. He will then provide translation as he can (only 1 in Magic Theory) happily defering to Pallas or any of the Magi if they take on the role. He will listen for clues on social structure and practice, trying to better understand how to work with these folks.

Pallas will than David and reply, " Simply as Pallas, please."

Talus is polite to the old ladies and as respectful of them as he can be. He speaks through his translators and begins by asking them what subjects they wish to discuss first.

"We understand that we have given you a basic idea what our magic can do. What is your magic capable of?"

Have I missed something? All they did was tell us over and over that they didn't need our help. When did they tell us what their magic could do?

This was their comment in the earlier sequence. THey think about capabilities in terms of practicalities.

Antonius, in arabic or italian, will try to vulgarize hermetic theory, as he would for an apprentice:

"That is a hard question to answer. Centuries ago, a magus named Bonisagus, with the help of many others talented gifted men and women, developped the .... tradition we follow, which is called hermetic magic. We are taught that there are arts, fifteen in total, through which a practionner can create, perceive, change, destroy elements of the natural world."

He looks at the three women before continuing:

"I realize this is a vague answer at best. Some of my colleagues believe hermetic magic to be reign supreme over all other traditions, but I believe it to be only partly the truth. You see, before we established ourselve on Malta, we travelled the world extensively as part of a caravan. During all these years, we encountered and studied many other ways throught which the Gift of magic was expressed. Some were more potent for specific purposes, or suffered less restrictions. However, hermetic magic can achieve the same effects as every of those produced by the traditions, without fault."

Antonius stands up:

"There is something else, but it is easier shown than explained. Another inheritance that Bonisagus left to his followers. Please, try to affect me with your spells and enchantments." He smiles. "But, please, let it be something that is not harmful."

The three women look confused, one replies "What do you mean affect you with our spells and enchantments? Just like that, with no preparation? Can your tradition accomplish that?"

The Bonisagus is surprised too, and open his mouth as if wanting to say something, and look with as puzzled look. Most traditions the had met before had one form or another of spontaneous magic; they definitely knew very little about these witches.

"Yes.... Yes, we are. My area of expertise is the the art of Rego. Motion is everywhere; nature is in a constant state of flux. When mastered, that understanding enables you to do many, many things like flying, for instance. But there is more to this art than that; for example a person goes from sleep to conciousness everyday, and is often one of the first things a master teach his or her apprentice. If you allow me, I will demonstrate it on one of you."

If there is a volunteer, Antonius will start chanting in Latin and cast Call to Slumber on one of the witches.

The woman falls asleep, the other two look quite impressed "Lola is usually quite resistant to curses of the mind." "And he didn't even have a sympathetic connection."

Antonius speak latin words again, and snap his finger at the end of the spontaneous casting, restoring Lola to wakefulness.

"And this spell is the result of the combination of only to arts. More complex effects can be achieved. Of course, hermetic mages cannot achieve them all, as most specialize, however all have the potential to. I think this answer your question."

The meeting seems to be going fairly well, and the witches appears to be receptive, so the Bonisagus will walk to his leather bag, retrieved something wrapped from it and then sit back. Carefully, he will unwrap the lilen clothe, revealing a primitive stone statue of large breated woman.

"Last year, when we first came to Skorba, investigating potential site where the aura was beneficial to the practice of our craft, I found this burried deep in the ruins. This is vis, of course, but it appears to have additionnal properties. You have been living and gathering near this temple for a long time. I would like, if you want to, to tell us more about the ruins, their history, and how it relates to your tradition."

The women look away when you reveal the woman "She is an ancient icon, we revere these as part of the site and do not remove them. There are many stories and theories about them, but mostly they are simply forbidden to be handled. It has been thus for centuries, and the reasons have been lost in time. Tell me though, these fast effects you use that can affect others, without a sympathetic link, is there any way we could make use of this without being members of your tradition?"

Antonius quickly wraps up the idol and put it in his bag. He, after a minute spent in silence, looking for an answer:

"I do not believe that would be possible, at least not fully. In my experience, once the Gift of a magic practionner has been shaped for specific practices or ways, it is becomes very hard to learn others. There is another House, throught which individual from other traditions can join our Order, but often their spellcasting remains... flawed. Still, younger individuals, whose Gift is still raw can practice hermetic magic while keeping some of their for tradition's power, if the opening of their arts is done carefuly by their parens."

Antonius give a quick glance at Talus an says to him:

"Do you agree with my assessment ? Perhaps you have a better understanding of the topic than I do."

"There are other ways. A colleague of ours, is a renowner enchanter. He can instill some of our effect in objects, that everybody can use. There is a catch, however, as their sale is highly restricted by our Order and they are outrageously expensive."

Talus nods. "My associate is correct that once the Gift is developed, it is very hard, if not impossible, to change the way it works. But he is also right that for those who have not developed the Gift, there is the possibility of developing it using our methods. It's a long process, but it can be done. He is right as well that we can create devices that simulate such instant magic use."

"Would such training or such devices be of any interest to you?"

"I believe..." begins one of the sisters before Loloa simply replies "Yes."

Antonius smiles:

"There is another matter to be discussed. Although formulaic magic, that just used is most impressive, but this isn't the only legacy of Bonisagus. During his time, and even nowadays in distant countries, gifted men and women distrusted each other and would rarely cooperate. But, after many years of research, the honored founder of our House developped Parma Magica, which not only protect against hostile magics, but also suppress the instinctive distrust the Gift causes. This has allowed magi to cooperate and better our magic."

His smile fades and he becomes more serious for a moment:

"Many traditions have joined our order, and with their particular insights have contributed greatly to hermetic magic theory. Perhaps your ancient tradition could join too... in time, if you wish to share your secrets with our Order. However, I must warn you, although parma magica is a secret that is freely shared within the Order of Hermes, for those who attempt to steal it the penalty is death."

"I take it that purchasing this secret is out then?"

"Yes, we are bound by an oath. Selling you this secret would cost our lives as well as yours. Is there something else you wish to know about us ? Perhaps you would like to visit our covenant ?"

"We would like to visit, but right now I think the issue of greater importance is the price you would be seeking for these fast effect enchantments, as well as what effects could be enchanted."

"In theory almost anything could be enchanted," Talus replies. "Subject to the knowledge and skill of the enchanter. We can tell you on a case-by-case basis whether our covenant has the ability to enchant what you want." He pauses and shrugs apologetically. "The price, alas, is, as my compatriot indicated, very high. Specifically, the set price is three times the vis cost of creating the device. The creation cost increases with the strength of the enchantment, but is never less than one."