Vis search (winter 1220)

GM note: The 3:1 price is only fixed in certain tribunals, and there selling fully enchanted devices to this group without knowing more about them is questionable- they may need to be willing to settle for invested enchantments. Which incidentally cost no vis to make (at least not intrinsically)

I thought it best to quote high. We can always negotiate down. But we're unlikely to negotiate above what we initially quote.

As for the rest, our meeting here isn't over.... We've only shown them the carrot so far.

I notice Antonius has been careful not to mention duration of items yet; Tartessos would be happy to sell charged items or expiry devices at full cost!

"The effect you have shown us, putting someone to sleep in an instant without preparation or link, what would be the cost of such magic in a device?"

"The cost of such an item would depend upon the parameters of the enchantment," Talus replies. "It could vary from perhaps three or four vis up to ten or fifteen."

"However, we get ahead of ourselves in dickering over prices. Before our Order would allow us to sell any items to you, we must first learn more about your tradition. You've told us a few of the magic you can do. But that tells us precious little about the tradition itself. What are your general beliefs? How do you manipulate etheric powers? What are your long-term goals? Surely you must understand that we have to ensure that your tradition will be harmonious with our Order before we can provide you with items of power."

"Our long term goals are to preserve and protect the ancient mysteries of our heritage. Unfortunately false rumors and stories have made it harder to maintain our legacy, but having a place of power such as this to operate around has allowed us to remain indispensable for much of the island. We are healers, and stewards of the natural world, and through herbs and potions can bring vitality to the sick and injured, through talismans and fetishes we commune with animals and nature, and we can, at times, curse those who threaten us if we have a sympathetic link to anchor the curse with. Is this enough that you would be willing to trade, or must we keep our vis and be deprived of these enchantments?"

"If you are healers and stewards of the natural world," Talus replies. "Then I can't see that as being in opposition to what our Order stands for. I shall have to consult with the others of the Order when I return. But I think that they will agree that we can trade with such a tradition."

[hr][/hr]
Magic Lore check to see if I recognize these women as folk witches.
Magic Lore check: 1D10+4 = [2]+4 = 6
Not so great. I hope the target number was 6. :slight_smile:

folk witches are the most common of hedge mages, and you have been given a fair amount of information, so I believe a 6 is sufficient. Clearly you recognized them as folk witches from the information given...

"You mentionned earlier that there were other magic practitioners son this archipelago, and that they practiced their craft in a darker way. What can you tell us about them ? Should we be worried by them?"

He lowers hi head and with a tense tone:

"Do they worship the demoni force of the underworld ?"

The woman shrugs her shoulders "They are actually on a smaller island nearby. We didn't inquire much beyond determining that we didn't want to deal with them. The ones we met simply had an air of, I don't know, rot, about them which we were uncomfortable with. They said their tradition was oh what was that?" One sister respond with "Goetican" While the other replies "Ex Miscelania"

"We shall have to look into these other practitioners of magic," Talus replies. "To see if they represent a threat to us or not." He smiles. "We thank you for your warning."

"Are we ready to negotiate specific prices, or do you need to communicate with the rest of your coven? We can hardly make offers without a more precise knowledge of what you offer."

"We would need to discuss it between ourselves, first and perhaps you might be interested in meeting the enchanter residing and our covenant before commiting important quantity of vis. It would be more appropriate to discuss what you want and prices directly with him, as he will most probably be doing the hard work."

"Would that be agreable to you ? A delegation from your coven would be more than welcome to meet him at our covenant located, near the runis of the Tarxien."

"Ruin of Tarxian? We had not heard of any ruins there, but the sisters will go to negotiate with your enchanter. Perhaps in another week?"

"Any time you like, but the sooner the better. As for the ruins, most probably you did not hear of these ruins because they used to be buried. Not so much anymore, but we tried to preserve then as best as we could."

"We shall see each other again then... Oh one last thing. I've heard that there is a giantess dwell in the regio that opens up in the ruins of the temple your coven claim, and that she doesn't not welcome men. Do you think it would be possible for you to arrange a meeting between her and the women of our covenant?"

Talus adds his own observation. "I think all of the magi of our covenant - our coven - would like to meet you. Our enchanter is most likely to be able to help you with what you need. But if not, others might be willing to take up the task."

A week later the three 'sisters' arrive at the covenant. The town still has little in the way of population ( a couple of goat herders have decided to set up trading posts locally). and their arrival is noted and announced by the watch before their actual arrival.

OOC, I'm not familiar with folk witches (do not have the supplement). Are they considered valid trading partners, and if so does the Order impose any restrictions such as no permanent effects? Or do they fall under "join or die"? Or somewhere grey in between?

Talus is there to welcome the folk witches (hopefully with a translator nearby). "Welcome to Domus Aureus. Would you like a tour before we get down to business?"

[hr][/hr]
Folk witches are probably the most common hedge tradition. To the best of my knowledge, there are no restrictions on the sale of magic to them, nor are they in the join-or-die category. Is that correct, silveroak?

As a general rule that is correct, most Hedge Witches are not even Gifted. There ay be individuals who are exceptions on the Join or Die, but even those are generally not worth pursuing since they essentially represent themselves and not a tradition, though if you have the right combination of Ex Miscelania, Bonisagus and Flambeau in the same place at the same time it has been known to happen. As to restrictions on sales, it has been argued successfully both ways- that they are fellow mages or effectively mundanes. Certainly there is no restriction on charged items or anything with an effect expiry.

"We would love a tour, it might help to give us an idea as to what is possible."