Voluntarily lowering Magic Resistance from Might?

I know Parma Magica prevents beneficial spells from affecting a magus, but what about other forms of MR? Would a Faerie Hound need to concentrate on lowering it's Resistance if its master ordered it? Is there a difference between how MR from Might and Parma work? Or are they essentially identical aside from their origin?

I don't think this has been explicitly stated. But I did recently find something (I'm sure others have found it before.) that suggests this is something special with Parma Magica. Non-Hermetic traditions cannot lower their magic resistance according to HMRE:

So it would seem Parma Magica is something special, and not just that it blocks the negative social effects of the Gift. I don't see why beings with Might should be able to lower their magic resistance, either, though perhaps some could. I had figured most likely otherwise before, but not once I read this.

Hi,

IIRC, we had a previous thread about this topic here, and the consensus was that MR could not normally be lowered.

Anyway,

Ken

its.

But yeah, Parma Magica is the only one that can effect this change.

Here's the recent thread

Parma is the only thing that specifically says it can be lowered. But one can't take that as a blanket assurance that no other form of MR can be lowered. There's nothing even hinting that no creatures of might could lower their protection. In fact, IIRC the Goetic sorcerers from RoP: Infernal would run into all sorts of issues if they couldn't lower their MR (that's just a thought, I didn't look them up to double check).

[strike]Somewhat related: Form Bonuses "help you resist spells of that type".
Does that get lowered along with the Parma or does it stay up like Might?[/strike]

Edit:It gets lowered, that's RAW and mentioned in the other thread :blush:

Actually, still not a bad question if asked differently: Can you lower Form Bonuses if you don't have an active Parma Magica?

Hi,

Although, if we consider TMRE authoritative, then spirits can choose to lower their MR, as it is stated they do when someone tries to help them escape from Prison of the Declining Spirit.

I actually opened a book yesterday and noticed this.

Anyway,

Ken

Could you point me towards the exact reference? I've been scanning through the Hermetic Empowerment section, but am failing to spot it.

Hi,

No book handy. But it's stuffed in the Minor Mystery Virtue that lets you bind a spirit to an enchanted item to cast ritual effects.

Anyway,

Ken

Aha! Found it. Center of page 28, the paragraph right under the diagram. Wow, that took me a while to find even after you suggested where. I'm amazed you found it. It is a big hint about what the rules are otherwise silent on.

I think you're referring to this bit from TMRE p28:

Edit: darn, ninja'd

Hi,

It's very buried.

That said, I tend to consider everything outside of the main rule book as game designer house rules. So I'm not sure it's a big hint about anything other than what the author was thinking when he wrote that paragraph.

Anyway,

Ken

Hi all,

To add to this, though I don't know if it was already covered in the previous MR thread: in HoH:MC, in the insert about "Temporary Familiars", p.90, (underlined by me)

Implying willing creatures with Might can voluntarily lower their resistance.