Welcome to Magus Labs

Note that the effect starts to wear off at sunrise and sunset unless you re-activate it; this can be circumvented with the "Environmental Trigger" (+3).

Also, I'm guessing that the "complexity" is for the restoring that just-dead freshness. Which is reasonable, considering that "create a corpse" is Base 5.

And if it has a Lab Bonus of +2 to Corpus, it would be a Minor Structure Virtue "Lesser Feature", when you go to build your lab, right?

No, it would be Minor supernatural: Magic item. (don't have covenants book to check)

1. Peregrine, why does a concentration duration effect end at sunrise?
  2. I plan to put this item into the lab, after refining it. By the way, can I start improving the lab before the saga starts, or do we arrive when the saga starts?

New spell:
Twin Corpse)
In(Cr)Co30
This spell is cast on a physical arcane connection to a human (e.g. blood, hair, finger). It creates an physical copy of the human body the arcane connection belongs to. Since the arcane connection is targeted, there is no resistance. This spell has a wide range of uses:

1. It can be made into a lab item that grants a bonus on longevity rituals (having the body of the recipient available for experiments does help a lot)
  2. It can be used to identify a perpetrator if you have just one hair (like the HoH:TL 72 spell: The whole from the part)
  3. It can be used to duplicate someone's body and then animate it to trick people who will think that the body is the real person.
    Base 10, +1 touch, +2 day, +1 Creo requisite)

Page 99, first column, about halfway through the paragraph on "Concentration": "Effects left to their own concentration start to wear off at sunset and sunrise. At these times the wielder must concentratte on the effect for a few moments to perpetuate it until the next sunrise or sunset."

The characters arrive when the saga starts.

Ah, I knew there was something, but sometimes I just forget basic rules. Thank you. I'll keep the spell with concentration. I think it's impractical to use sun+elemental, because that would keep the body from decomposing for ages, which would make it difficult for him to make those bodies disappear once they are no longer needed.

Found two more uses:
4. Make somebody vanish, leaving a corpse so there are no questions about where the person went or how they died.
5. A magus might collect hair of beautiful grogs (female/male) and do things that cannot be talked about on this forum because it would be against the forum guidelines. In combination with the fresh meat table and an Animate corpse spell, very little is impossible. I don't think I'll ever play a scene using this idea though, and I don't think my character uses the spell that way - because it's too disgusting. In fact, it might be a reason for him to refuse sharing the spell.
:astonished: :open_mouth: :angry: :smiling_imp: :mrgreen:

New spells:

Mu(Cr,Re)Co15
Base 3, +1 touch, +2 sun, +1 req
Life-like corpse
This spell makes a corpse life-like, so you can have it carry your stuff in a city without everyone trying to burn you. Eyes move + blink, the breast heaves, it blushes etc

CrCo45
Hercules Ritual
Base 45
Increases the users strength at once by +1 (max +3).

Wizard's long sidestep
ReCo20
Like Wizard's sidestep, but with a greater range (500 paces)

Improved Regeneration of the festering wounds CrCo25
like the original, but bonus to recovery is +12

Looks good...although I don't want to think about what you'd have to say to a zombie to make it blush.

Presumably it's R: Personal, D: Momentary, T: Individual. And it seems to follow the same footsteps as The Gift of Reason. I was thinking that these spells didn't stack (and thus, you could only cast the spell one on yourself with benefit), but I couldn't find it glancing through the CrCo, CrAn, or CrMe guidelines. So, unless I find something to that effect by 2:34 pm Wednesday, it's good.

Wizard's Sidestep is actually ReIm 10 (shifts your image up to 1 pace away). But the guideline for ReCo 20 is "transport the target instantly up to 500 paces", which is what I think you're going for. R: Personal, D: Momentary, T: Individual. Maybe something like "Crossing the field" or some such?

Cha-chunk.

Also, regarding any waiting-for-sg-approval.

Seeing as how I'm able to spend a good bit of time online, if you post something for my approval and I don't veto it within 72 hours, consider it approved. I honestly don't anticipate anything taking more than three days (and if I expect to be offline for more than a day, I'll let you know)...and if I don't get to it in three days, that's my bad.

The guidelines don't really have any mechanism for increasing a charactersitic greater than 1 per casting, which is why I believe the ritual can be cast again and again until you hit the maximum allowed by the spell..

I realised I forgot posting my key spell here. I thought it was pretty straight-forward, but the more I think about it the less clear it becomes.

The Walking Dead (ReCo35)
R: Sight, D: Sun, T: Ind.
This spell allows the caster to mentally command a corpse. The corpse can carry out simple commands independently (e.g. attack the man on the horse! Carry this and follow me!). A moment of concentration is required to give a new set of commands. The corpse can leave the caster's line of sight after getting his commands. A corpse can attack with or without a weapon, but has no skill, unless the caster keeps concentrating on it (which allows the caster to use Per + finesse for the corpse's attacks.
(Base 10, +2 Sun, +3 Sight)

When I first made this spell, I looked at the ReCO and ReHe guidelines and thought that everything was clear. Later I wondered if a mentem requisite is needed, but there is a ReCo25 spell (awaken the slumbering corpse) that works without.

This also leads to the question: how do corpses fight? I don't think they are particularly skilled, but I guess that they are rather strong and very hard to "kill". I also assume they can run quite fast for a long time (unlike in computer games). Is there a way of stopping a dead body short of completely obliterating it?
The whole concept of sending undead bodies against someone is keeping the opponent busy (while creating and sending more and more corpses), until a corpse gets a lucky roll. This tactic keeps the enemy at a distance and also saves grogs.

These thoughts about the undead raise one question:

• Is there an answer in Hermetic projects (which I will get towards the end of the week, I hope)?

I think there is a section on risen corpses in the Projects book.

Another thing to remember is that unless you give the corpses a weapon their bare hand attacks would be resisted by Parma as they were moved by magic, not some kind of momentum. They might still touch the target but the force would be mitigated. You could still get the; "Ewww! It touched me!" reaction though.

Nothing in Hermetic Projects. Arts and Academe though goes into what different wounds are and I think certain wounds would stop the corpse from fighting well. Corpse breaks a leg and it can't stand. Corpse breaks arm or gets disarmed, it can't do much.

I do think that wound penalties themselves would have slightly less impact (light wounds are 0, medium wounds -1, heavy -3). They aren't very skilled so they aren't going to fight well save by masses overpowering. The bigger thing is the fear that fighting corpses will cause. It is likely to rouse mundanes and church and definately is not subtle.

Just remembered something that may be an issue.

On the one hand, these use core guidelines.
On the other, ritual boosting characteristics are supposed to be a Mercere secret.

This is one of these cases of Fluff vs Rules but it could go either way, depending on the will of the troupe.

For the record, I tend to side with fluff, for 3 reasons (stating them so that people can choose in full knowledge):

• Either it's a mercere secret, or it ain't. And i like houses having trade secrets.
  • It is one of the only checks vs magi all having extreme stats (and is supported by published characters having normal stats)
  • Taken at chargen, it is a cheap way exploit the rules: JM just used it to "gain" the equivalent of 4*Improved Characteristics, at no warping cost (ritual designed for him). IMO, it's well worth the cost. We had this in Andorra... :unamused:

I concurr

IIRC:

• Mentem requisite is for giving the commands mentally, or if you want your zombie to have rudimentary intelligence (or rather "cunning", by the rules). Or else, it will dumbly follow your last command, whatever the result (think Fantasia and Mickey Mouse)
  • Corpses fight... Badly. Dumb corpse and all. There are stats in one of the books, I believe it must be RoP: M... Yes. P99, "Revenant" insert, although, as per the text, it has no MM, and no qualities or powers besides No Fatigue and Improved Soak*3. They say that, as an option, the corpse's brawl may be equal to the magus finesse, but I would keep that for the corpses the magus is directly controlling via concentration.
  • Stopping a dead body: Sure! Hack it in pieces. Or, if it has no mentem requisite and is unsupervised, but simple obstacles before it, such as a wall.

I am more looking towards when Siobhan gets the mentem spell to control minds.

"You 10 soldiers start fighting for me" and repeats as necessary. Once they are hacked up and killed, then JeanMichelle's character comes up with a CrCo spell to make them whole for a time and animates them to fight. Between the two of us, every enemy soldier will fight and die for us two or three times.

my last lab season is going to be invent the following:

Sleep the distant group
ReMe 25
R: sight, D: Mom, T: Group
A group of up to ten men become very sleepy and fall asleep within a few seconds.
(Base 4, +3 Sight, +2 group)

This is just a variant of call to slumber but more people and greater range

((Her lab total is 3+6+3+9+17+3+2=43, spend 4 pawns vis for +8 to lab total))

So, this is basically Awaken the Slumbering Corpse (p. 134), with increased Range and Duration?

I'm assuming that if you give a corpse a command (such as "Dig a trench"), it will continue to do so until you give it another command or tell it to stop, or until the spell ends?

And I believe it would still have the same stricture about not working on those that have had a church burial.

I thought church burials only restricted ghost summoning spells, due to the souls being off elsewhere, but bodies were still fair game for anything. Am I losing my memory?

The spell description for Awaken the Slumbering Corpse says "The corpse used cannot have been buried by Church ceremony." Although The Walking Corpse doesn't. Neither one's been errata'd. No increase in magnitude either way. So...um...I guess dealer's choice as to whether it does or doesn't.

:confused:

I'd tend to side with Arya on this.
IIRC, divine burial protects the soul, not the corpse.

There are also mentions in Hermetic Projects of a necromancer combing church cemeteries for corpses.

I was not aware that you could use vis to boost your Lab Total. To raise your Casting Score (A5 p. 82), sure, but your lab total? Where is this? (To be honest, it feels vaguely like an end-around to me)

I realized I was mistaken about that so instead just experimented in the lab. Experimentation in lab for Siobhan is an increase in lab total of 7-16 and more than enough to take a 43 to 50 for creation.