What brings the Tithing Miracles Boon for a covenant

And? The fact that there were communities organized around the parish does not change the definition or understanding of a tithing miracle, which is a miracle which provides extra income to an individual which compensates them for the tithes they pay or an amount over that, not a miracle which brings benefit to the parish or the parish community directly.

Respectfully, oneshot, the boon is called Tithing Miracles, not productive locals used to overtime work.

1 Like

TMK legends of miracles like these typically arise from communities benefitting from spending on their parishes. Of course in Mythic Europe such miracles might even happen for real.

The description of a tithing miracle is that they receive a bumper crop or other unexpected windfall that equals or exceeds the amount of the tithe. This can be the result of just good weather one year or any number of natural phenomenon or cycles, but one thing it practically by definition cannot be is the benefit of spending on their parishes.

1 Like

Covenants p.22 f has only "These miracles are reported regularly in ths area, which makes the surrounding people particularly pious, and wealthier than normal. ... The miracle is usually noticed when the goods are sold, and found to be heavier than the owner expects, up to the weight of the untithed material."
This describes reports of chroniclers, which for an historian follow a pattern.

We have for example the legend of the vineyard of the priest of Rieti in La Foresta (chapter XIX of the Fioretti di San Francesco, free pdf in English here):

When he (scilicet: St Francis) approached the town (scilicet: Rieti), such a multitude came out to meet him, that he would not go into the city, but went to a church which was about two miles off. But the people, hearing where he was gone, went thither to see him; so that the vine which surrounded the church was greatly injured, and all the grapes were gathered; at which the priest, to whom it belonged, was very grieved in his heart, and repented of having received St Francis in his church. The thought of the priest being revealed to the saint, he called him to him and said: “Dearest father, tell me, how many measures of wine does this vine produce when the year is a fertile one?” He answered: “Twelve measures.” Then said St Francis: “I pray thee, father, have patience and endure my presence here a few days longer, as I find great rest in this church; and, for the love of God and of me his poor servant, let the people gather the grapes off thy vine; for I promise thee, in the name of my Saviour Jesus Christ, that it shall produce every year twenty measures of wine.” And St Francis remained there for the benefit of the souls of all who went to see him, for many went away filled with divine love, and gave up the world. The priest, having faith in the promise of St Francis, left the vineyard open to all those who came to see him. And, wonder of wonders! although the vine was entirely ruined, so that there scarcely remained, here and there, a few small bunches of grapes, when the time of vintage arrived, the priest gathered the few bunches which were left, and put them into the winepress; and according to the promise of St Francis, these few little bunches did not fail to produce twenty measures of excellent wine. This miracle teaches us …

The pattern for the modern historian is the careful avoidance of the real financial considerations in the medieval description of a miracle. Once you reintroduce these considerations, you see how the remains of the vineyard became by the words of charismatic and wise St Francis to the priest symbolical relics of the saint: so their future wine by this new nature amply reimbursed the priest.

The same kind of reading can be applied to the reported tithing miracles mentioned in Covenants p.22.
The work put into the tithes was beneficial for the community already. Ennobling that work by reporting a miracle with it made the community's piety and affluence more widely known, thus further reinforcing both.

Probably, but that's not the point

This is the point - if you remove the "might even".
We're not dealing with realistic economic theory here. Even economists tend to avoid those these days.
We're talking about an explicit miracle.

1 Like

Additionally, while the above is described as a miracle it is not the definition of a tithing miracle.