What magically provided services should logically exist?

There's no need for house rule when helping in lab. When asked about helping in the lab for LR, David Chart said that if you help in the lab, you can write the short hand for that lab activity, since you were a part of it.

1 Like

I had started writing this out before I got distracted by company coming over. There is one of the Magi in Magi of Hermes who actually does this as her backstory.

Oh, in an issue of Peripheral Code I wrote up a society of magi who all have a lot of mastered spells; they keep a shared library of books on Spell Mastery and make casting tablets on commission. (The requirement that the creator of a casting tablet must have mastered the spell has had interesting setting ramifications for me.)

This has given PCs with Flawless Casting a nice social network, and been a nice way for PCs to get any casting tablets they need.

1 Like

The errata is that laboratory helpers and subjects of LRs can read the shorthand of that individual lab text the main magus wrote not that they can make their own lab text in their own shorthand.

I know, but that means the main magi doesn't need to spend a season to transcribe the lab text, so it would be legible, and can just have a scribe copy it.

I thought you needed a mage with Magic Theory to avoid any scribal errors

You need someone with Magic Theory to transcribe. But Scribes in Hermetic covenants are taught a bit of that, so they can copy hermetic books,

Not only can non-magi with Magic Theory copy texts just fine, but you can also teach people your short-hand in canon. The only issue is that, while the books show this is possible, they do not explain how. It shouldn't take very long given what is written, though.

Unfortunately, non-Gifted individuals (even those with Magic Theory) cannot assist in the lab; so it is not possible to teach a mundane scribe MT1 and have him work as one of your assistants for a season (which would allow them to learn your shorthand up to the level of the lab text generated). The process of translating lab notes from cryptic shorthand to 'clear' text is an experimental lab activity, so no mundane scribe can even attempt it. Maybe a mundane could try to decipher a raw lab text if they had the translated version of that same text as a reference, but I don't know of any specific rules on this.