For this November I'm going to try and do "30 Days of Mystery Cult Content". The idea is to look at 3 or 4 cults and for each of them write up:
- At least one fully stated mystagogue
- An aspirant NPC who can be used if a PC becomes a mystagogue
- At least one special ritual location to use in initiation scripts
- Example initiation scripts for each mystery
- Some ideas for snippets of lore or examples of the cult's magic that a PC in the cult might learn of or gain access to
- Some hooks for PCs in the cult, and for using the cult as an external force in a saga where no PCs are members
I hope this will be useful in letting people have an "out of the box" starting point for using a mystery cult in their game without too much up front effort.
The big question is: which cults to look at? What's your personal favourite? And are there any I've overlooked?
- The Order of the Green Cockerel (Hermetic Alchemists)
- The Magoi of the Star (Hermetic Astrologers)
- The Volshebnii Mechtateli (Spooky Dream Magic)
- The Neo-Mercurians (Paganism, Rituals, Mercurian Magic)
- The Legion of Mithras (Defenders of the Order)
- The Philosophers of Rome (Hedonism, Theurgy, Megalomania)
- The Children of Hermes (Hermetic Scientologists)
- The Mystic Fraternity of Samos (Numerology, Pythagoreanism)
- The Disciples of the Worm (Spooky Necromancers)
- The Knights of the Green Stone (Magi LARPing as questing knights)
- You forgot about ______! _____ is the best one! (fill in the blank in the comments)
- I can't pick just three - they're all great
- Only the mystery houses are worthy of the name!
- Mysteries are just unfinished research (this post was made by Bonisagus gang)