Where's the Earth-Shattering Ka-Boom? (Spring 1235)

Ah, I had not quite understood that. I thought it was worse than it apparently actually is. Maybe mundane repair is the answer.

And it keeps masons employed and thus is good for the economy :slight_smile:

Yes, it's in the first post of the Earth-Shattering Ka-Boom thread.

I note again that, due to the timing of the Earth-Shattering Kaboom being Spring 1235, Antoine is in the covenant; hence that "empty" tower might not be, depending on whether it was given to him.

BTW, he hasn't joined in this discussion because I'm not sure whether Pledges have a voice on council.

Same here. I withdraw Vocis's arguments for magically replacing the tower.

((Sorry, I was thinking it had been, if not destroyed, damaged enough entirely that it would have to be razed and rebuilt. In that case, she wouldn't really push for a CtMT, especially if some of it's coming out of her pocket. She'd just lodge somewhere and use the library to study in if she needs to.))

Vibria will relate what happened, in an almost monotonous, detached voice – as though she still has a hard time believing that it happened. She will tell the Council how she wanted to demonstrate her worth hors de combat, and to show that she was capable of doing more than just burning her foes. While she knew that she was not the most suited for creating magical items such as she had envisioned, she felt she were capable. Once she sat down and came up with the initial plans, she realized that the the lantern rings were just beyond her capabilities...if she played it safe. If she were to try a couple of things that she thought might work instead of sticking what she knew would work, or try doing this instead of that (i.e. Experimentation), then she thought she would probably be able to pull it off.

The first of the two rings she had planned on making was just this side of an abject failure. It produced light, true...but it also produced enormous amounts of heat as well, which meant that it could only be used by someone who was either immune to heat (such as herself) or someone who had been warded against heat. She had almost finished the second ring when things went pear-shaped on her. She still doesn't know what happened, but it blew her lab to smithereens.

((As an aside - weren't we going to be doing the repercussions of the lab accident stuff in the Earth-Shattering Ka-Boom thread?))
As they discuss the strategic importance of her tower, and whether it would be better to simply rebuild the destroyed top parts of the tower or to raze it and have a new tower magically erected (especially when the talk turns to making her pay the Vis cost for said magical erection), she clears her throat and speaks softly, not taking her eyes from her hands clasped nervously on the table.

[color=red]"It seems to me that tearing down the tower and erecting a new one in its place leaves us much more vulnerable than simple having the upper levels rebuilt. So, I think that is what we should do. Rebuilding the top part, I mean."

Sorry, it took me a few days to realize that the last post was here (don't know why).

So, Vibria takes a Heavy wound from the shrapnel, which is healed by Carmen/Roberto and Fleur, but no fire damage due to her immunity?

On the seven items, I'm a little confused as to what happens to the "everything else": does she have to roll new saving throws for those items, or is it "seven survive, everything else is destroyed"? It seems to be kinda saying both.

Also, could you port the posts from the General Table Talk about this here? Just to clean things up a little bit? Please?

I am not sure what I said or why I said it. But this is my assessment of the situation, and my conditional ruling dependent on agreement of the troupe.
Vibria took shrapnel damage, but not fire damage. Halve the overall damage total applies (which sould result in a lesser wound). If she needs healing, the covenant will provide it free of charge. For your items, all the successful rolls are items saved. I did not think you would do so well. So, of the destroyed items, Cidito can save up to seven of them. Only one item got trashed, the rubby necklace given to you by your grandfather. When you went though the wreckage to see what you could salvage, you found evenything but that. You went frantic, you found some scattered loose rubies that you mistook for pieces of the necklace ruined. You started to bawl. Then from directly ehind you, you hear...
meow?
And there stads Cidito, wearing your intact priceless necklace.
:mrgreen:
He gives it to you and asks
Wanna sit in the fireplace and make some burnt wine? Talk about stuffs?

As for your sanctum...
Accidents happen, and Experimentation is a legitimate and important part of the Hermetic process. A prosperous Summer covenant such as ours should encourage pushing the boundaries and advancing the art of magic.
Having said that, we should also see to it that proper safety measures are in place. What sort of measures were in place in Vibria's lab? What is the safety rating of everyone's lab?
I propose Vibria take up residence in the empty corner tower Vulcanus had conjured. The covenant should fund the repair of the front tower or have a new one conjured. Refurnishing Vibria with Lab Equipment is another matter. It should be considered upkeep expenses. The covenant pays the first 10£, and Vibria should split the difference for the rest. And I shall demonstrate the virtue of charity by offering to donate 10£ to pay for her share of the expenses.

Well, there's only a 1-in-10 chance of any given item being destroyed, so with 17 items, only losing 1 sounds about right.

With only taking half of the rolled damage, that would be (17÷2) 8½, so 9 points of damage, applied to her soak of 5 leaves 4 points of damage, or a Light Wound. -1 for a week, no spell-casting (at least, spells that cost Fatigue), and no strenuous activity, but otherwise unimpaired. So...yeah...her lab blows up around her, and she just basically walks it off :smiley: .

Vibria looks at Cedito, absolutely gobsmacked, for a minute, before she scoops him up and cuddles him close, covering his face with kisses. [color=red]"Oh, thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!"
She will get a bottle of wine, a goblet, and a bowl, then curl up in a fireplace. She pours the wine for herself and Cidito and has a nice long conversation with him.

As near as I can tell (from Covenants, p. 69), it only costs £5 to build the lab. (I thought I had already posted her lab on the wiki, but apparently not. It's there now.)

Vibria details all the safety measures and stuff in the lab. It has...had sob a lot of fireplaces to keep it nice and warm (Excessive Heating, Safety -1), but it was also very well-built (Superior Construction, Safety +1)

That's the price for a basic lab. I think there might be a cost for installing virtues and flaws. There should be. Plus there are all the other amenities like a new carpt and new furniature and everything.

As for sitting in the fireplace, the largest one is the hearth of the covenant chamber. Now, Cidito has a tendency to turn invisible while sitting in fire, but he gives off a cheshire cat appearance as he talks. [color=orange]See, you boil the wine and it reduces, making what's left over more potent.
I thinks there iz some metephor in there somewherez.

You're supposed to walk out before it explodes, preferably in slow motion. Work on that for next time. :wink:

As shown in OotS:

giantitp.com/comics/oots0119.html