Wild Kingdom, Andorra Edition (Summer 1245)

"But no drake would your power, nor your mind," Marcellus says, with a small shake of his head.

"I can understand your doubts about our commitment, Maurice. We humans lead such short lives, and face so many tasks, that it is easy to let some undone for lack of foresight or immediate reward. Only by our actions will we be able to prove ourselves."

Glad to hear you say that. Come with me to get those bones then.

"Sure. Want to do that now, or later? I thought you were to see Simon this morning?" Marcellus leans his head slightly to his right, and his feet move as if ready to go right away, regardless of whether the rest of his body is.

1 Like

Simon is coming up the back trail. I saw him as I flew in overhead. He grabbed a deer while hunting in his owlbear shape. I am guessing he is planning to pretend that he caught it as a human. Whatever.
In drake form, I am able to fly and can carry a few of you. Just magi. Leave your servants here.

The Woad will come along. Where is it we are retrieving the bones, and under which circumstances? The Woad would like to be prepared.

1 Like

I want you guys to come with me to visit my brother, Venkath the Firedrake. His cave is a few leagues northwest of here. You will be under my protection, so there is no need to fear. In this way, it will prove that we can trust each other. Further, with a few magi at my side, it will convince him that we are serious about this project.

OOC: The besiary entry for Simon is updated, but I have not yet done so for Maurice or Venkath. Neither is substantially different though. Simon had the most change as he learned to shapeshift and I wanted to make note of it for our records. Now that you have met Maurice, I will update him. Not much has changed, nothing you would notice. Venkath, I will hold off on posting updates until after you meet him.

"Let us go, then. The Woad and I are ready."

1 Like

Change, change, oh form of man...
Bonus point to whomever can finish the quote and tell me where it comes from :smiley: (in PM, because I am sure Peregrine knows and I don't want to spoil it)

Maurice first changes into a cat, walks out of his crumples clothing, then assumes his natural firedrake form. He expands his wings, spanning wider than his length. He is not as large as you may have imagined. Size +2, about the same as a warhorse or a bear.
The taloned hands on his forlegs are quite nimble. He folds his clothing up and places his outfit in a satchel he then slings over his shoulder.
Saddel up! I can carry three, maybe four of you.
Edith comments I can float alongside. I still think this is a bad idea, but fortune favors the bold.

1 Like

Marcellus approaches almost as soon as Maurice tells them to, and climbs aboard. He tries to settle as comfortably as possible, between any large scales or spnines on Maurice's back. Though he has seldom have had a chance to ride, he is confident of his ability to hang on (Perfect Balance, Athletics 3, Dex +1).

1 Like

The Woad comes along without any doubts. He holds a firm grip on his spear though.

1 Like

OOC: Giving Jebrick (Ikelos) a chance to catch up. But I will proceed anyway tomorrow.

Ikelos loves a chance to see even more Dragons so he will climb aboard.

OOC: My work is requiring a lot of concentration at the moment. I will try to be better as a poster.

1 Like

OOC: No worries at all :slight_smile:

As you soar through the sky, Maurice chuckles as he randomly remembers a past event.
This reminds me of the time I gave a few Andorra magi a ride to the Arc of Fire, just off the coast of Sicily. That was just after I learned how to fly, but before I learned to shapeshift. At the moment I can't remember what the quest was or the bargain we made, but it worked out well
doobiedoobedoo,,,
As you approach your desitination, the scene is one of mass combat. A dozen or more pikemen lie dead in burning flames. A bishop, guarded by soldiers, is reciting something from a book (probably a bible). A battered knight faces a deadly beast, his sword crackles with thunder and the symbol of House Flambeau can be seen on the dressing of his dead horse.
Venkath, the vicious, snarls in rage. A few broken spears are lodged in his hide. He roars a gout of flame, which showers the knight-magus, but washes over his parma.

Maurice bristles in rage, and dives down towards the bishop with a roar.

Make a roll to keep hanging on. Str or Dex plus Riding or Athletics. Or whatever. I am only requiring a 6 or better.

1D10+1 => (5 + 1) = 6

Ikelos wants to yell as he barely hangs on to the back. All he is thinking now is that he does not want the Bishop to see them.

1 Like

Marcellus Dex 1 + Athletics 3 + Perfect Balance 3 + stress die 4 = 11.

(How does one post the link to the die roll from rolz?)

1 Like

OOC: In the header bar above the window in which you type your message. One of the buttons is two chain links, which represents "link". Copy and paste the url into it. Or paste the url into your message

OOC I know how to add a link to a post here. But in Rolz, how do I get the link? It seems to just give me a generic link (https://rolz.org/#) when I try to copy the link to the roll result.

1 Like

Still need a check for The Woad. I am reasonably sure he will make it or fall safely. The matter at had is how you guys react to the situation. Maurice is about to kill this bishop. Are you going to let that happen? Are you going to try to prevent it, or help with it? And what of this Flambeau mage-knight? He seems to be holding his own against Venkath. It would be unlawful to take him out of course. But if you don't care, though he may be more powerful than any one of you, you outnumber him. This is a really sticky situation.

As a side note, you have crossed the border of Ordino Parish Andorra, and are now in France. Provencal Tribunal Jurisdiction.

Marcellus is looking for a way to disengage from the coming fight. He does not want to fight for either side. Here's why.

On the one hand he suspects that Venkath's actions (he's been described by other magi and his brothers as a traditionnal drake that preys on humans) probably triggered the attack, so he's probably just getting what's coming to him. The Code alsoprevents Marcellus from acting against the Church so blatantly, and even more against another magus.

On the other hand dragons are creatures of the wild and deserve a chance to live in peace. He doesn't want to fight either Maurice or Venkath. And things may not be as they appear.

So he will try to cast Rise of the Feathery Body to float down from Maurice's back before he (edit: Maurice) joins the fight against the bishop's party.

Concentration roll of 6 + Concentration 2 + Int 3 = 11
Casting roll of 8 + 6 = 14 (no fatigue)

1 Like