Wild Kingdom, Andorra Edition (Summer 1245)

How big (in ArM size value) is it?
What weapons and armour - if any - is it using?
How close is ‘visual range’?

The Woad whispers

This is almost too easy, are they really always this stupid? Sometimes the easy ambush is a trap. What if the ogres are brighter than this, and a group just let their dumbest mate waltz in and eat the bait? The Woad would like to sneak around and search the perimiter, but he is aware of his own shortcomings. He might just turn invisible and charge in directly, in order to get the first blow in.

Size +2
It is wearing animal skins and carries a club.
It is about sixty or seventy paces away.
(A Roman pace is five feet)

That’s still too far for Range Voice.
Luckily the Woad has Flexible Formulaic Magic, and he can bump up his Shattering the Sword into Seven Sharp Shards up to Sight.

The Woad will do the polite thing and tell his Sodalibus he is going to attack.
And then he’ll cast Veil of Invisibility first.
_: 1D10 = [7] = 7
casting total 23

Then Shattering the Sword into Seven Sharp Shards On the ogre’s club
_: 1D10 = [1] = 1

And then _: 1D10 = [7] = 7
so 14, for casting total 50, with a lvl 30 spell that’s Penetration 24 incl ability

Damage is _: 1D10 = [5] = 5
total 15

Afterwards the Woad will charge the ogre, but I’m sure someone else will do something in the mean time.

His cudgel shatters, and the ogre is suddenly startled and agitated. He stands up, seething in fierce aggression, looking around for attackers.

Ikelos will spont CrIm for the sound of someone shouting behind the ogre, in the woods.
obtener el ogro!

base 1, eye+3
_: 1D10 = [7] = 7
+ cr7+Im15+sta1 = 30
He also has quite magic.
The goal is that the ogre turns away from the woad as he charges

He does turn, and with a mighty roar he shouts Porta ho! Quissoflauta!!!

All right. There is still opportunity for someone else to do something, but the Woad blows a Fatigue for a charge, Atk +13 +(4+1) +
_: 1D10 = [5] = 5

Total 23
Is there some bonus for invisibility, or is it only defensive?

I will rule that you have automatic Initiative and a surprise attack bonus of +3, and the ogre has a defense penalty of -3 (he hears a twig snap and reacts by instinct, spending a point of Confidence).

Dodging: Quick 0, Brawl 8+2, Penalty -3, Confidence +3, die roll 1, then 4, for a Defense Total of 18.
So then,
Attack total 26 minus Defense total 18 equals Attack Advantage 8.
Plus Spear Damage 10 equals Damage Potential of 18.
Minus Soak 11 equals Damage Inflicted 7.
Light Wound, and is unfazed.

Stricking back blind in an attempt to pummel. Same deal in reverse, he has a -3 Attack and you have +3 Defense.
Dex +1, Brawl 8 +2 (pummel), Penalty -3, die roll 5
Attack Total = 14
Minus whatever the Woad's Defense total results to be
The ogre's Strength is +9, which is thus his damage bonus if he lands a blow.

All right, Defense +6 +3 +
_: 1D10 = [1] = 1
and
_: 1D10 = [10] = 10
0s on subsequent rolle are 10s, right?

So Dfn 29, more than enough

I'm just going to continue rolling for the counter attack here and now, but the timing should allow for the other magi to jump in before. Just keep the result on hold, yeah?

Atk 13+3+_: 1D10 = [3] = 3
(ugh) only 19
I have the Woad's damage as +13.
There was some meddling to make his Talisman obey the rules, and the quality of the spear was increased, as well as his Str. I see now I had not updated the foum thread for his sheet - this is done now.

Edit: In that case the initial attack did 3 more damage, but Dam-Soak of 10 is still just a Light Wound for a Size +2 individual.

Also, I'm kind of hoping some of the other magi can pitch in with something. The Woad may not be too efficient on his own.

I can have an NPC jump in atany time, and they will. I am also hoping and waiting for a Player to help out.

1 Like

OOC Marcellus is lagging behind because he tired himself casting spells. I don't know how many took advantage of his spells, so unsure exactly how many fatigue levels he lost. Also, I doubt sling stones will have much effect on the ogre. And with The Woad being invisible, there is a risk of hitting him.

All right, that makes sense.
Barring some major intervention, the Woad plans to retreat after the next (current actually) attack, hopefully possible with his invisibility.
Edit: And then cast other spells

Question (it could have been in Table Talk, because of the general nature of it, but it is relevant here):

Looking at the House Rules for Spell Mastery, there is a Flex Mastery. It looks as if one of the parameters one can flex is Size.
Does that apply for Flexible Formulaic Magic, which the Woad has as Major Hermetic Virtue?

In that case, his 'Wound the Weeps' can be flexed up one size step, taking the effect from size +1 creatures to size +4.

OOC If he stays invisible, we won't notice right away that he retreated. As I wrote, though, that doesn't make much difference for Marcellus, whose offensive repertoire is limited.

OOC Actually a Light Wound is Damage 1 to 7 for a Size +2 individual (see ArM5 p.171). Damage advantage of 10 results in a Medium Wound.

@Arthur you are right on both accounts

Well, perhaps the Woad will pull it off anyway.

@Marko_Markoko with the correct Dam stat of +13 for the Woad's spear use I think the first wound on the ogre was actually Medium.
Regardless of how the second attack goes, the Woad will move away and circle around the ogre, hoping to buy a round or two of pause from pummeling fists. He'll try to be quiet, and he actually has Dex +2 and Stealth 3 (sneak).

I think so. I remember it was decided by the group long ago that it is best to treat Size the same as Target.

1 Like

OOC: Yeah, I am figuing that your being invisible is why Modi and Magni are being told to hold back.